Sponsored by: Moser

Wanna see what I've been working on??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:33 PM
beaudog
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanna see what I've been working on??

Hi everyone, I have been a member for a while now and lurking for a lot longer! I've been helped out an awful lot by this site and really appreciate all the knowledge that is so freely shared here. Anyway, I wanted to share a few pics and some details of what I have been working on.

Here she is: a 1979 F-150 Custom "Explorer" package shortbox 4X4. It is a San Jose built and owned truck and still carries original paint. I did have to repaint the roof after some repairs around the windshield and rear window and a few touch-ups inside the cab but all the exterior blue is original. This truck was ordered with cruise, tilt, A/C and intermittent wipers. With just over 130,000 miles, it still has the original 400 with C-6 trans in place and running great. When I got it all the rubber on the truck was shot as was the dash pad, seat and anything else vinyl.

Anyway, after a bunch of work, finally I get to enjoy the best part: just driving it! The long term plan is to drive it for a couple of years and then put it away and pass it on to my 10 year old son when he gets his driver's license.

Thanks for all your help throughout the build.

Attached Images     
Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 PM
axidjw
Elder User
That is one beautiful dent!!!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 PM
twofifty
Senior User
Gorgeous truck, thanks for sharing! Love the character of original paint!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
I can't add anything, nice truck.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck. Love the original condition and cool striping on the glovebox. I'm sure your son will love it and be happy as the coolest kid in school.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:43 PM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Sweet ride!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:26 PM
beaudog
Freshman User
Thanks for all the nice comments, we are very proud of how it looks and drives and both my son and I love the look of the original paint. (Also less heartbreak if there's an "incident" when he starts driving!)

Old 06-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Cedarghost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good looking truck. I have a 12 year old who has been helping me build mine since I got it in December. He already calls it "our" truck.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:28 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Sweet ride! I occasionally let my sixteen-year-old drive the Taurus, but I don't have near the investment in it that I have in my dents. Maybe when she graduates...

Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 PM
beaudog
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PapaBearYuma
Sweet ride! I occasionally let my sixteen-year-old drive the Taurus, but I don't have near the investment in it that I have in my dents. Maybe when she graduates...
I know what you mean, he's been bugging me to teach him how to drive it (and he's only 10). I'm actually considering it.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is just beautiful

Unk Bob

Old 07-23-2016, 03:26 PM
moose4x4
Cargo Master
Received 131 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by beaudog
I know what you mean, he's been bugging me to teach him how to drive it (and he's only 10). I'm actually considering it.

Love the Baby Blue, kinda partial to it.
Taught my son as soon as he was tall enough to reach the pedals. Never know when you might need some help. My son did not want to drive my old rusty truck to school. Told him that or the bus. Also told him as soon as he did a burnout, the other guys would like the truck. He came home in a couple of weeks and said Dad you were right. When he was a senior, they picked best girl and best guy vehicle and he won the best guy and had a picture of the old rusty truck in the year book. FYI 78 lwb flairside with 460, c6, 4:10 dana 60's frt and rear. Have it in a thousand pieces doing a frame off for several years. Hope LIFE will let me get back to it next year.

Great looking shortbed!!!!!!! Bruce

Old 07-24-2016, 10:32 AM
beaudog
Freshman User
Originally Posted by moose4x4
Love the Baby Blue, kinda partial to it.
Taught my son as soon as he was tall enough to reach the pedals. Never know when you might need some help. My son did not want to drive my old rusty truck to school. Told him that or the bus. Also told him as soon as he did a burnout, the other guys would like the truck. He came home in a couple of weeks and said Dad you were right. When he was a senior, they picked best girl and best guy vehicle and he won the best guy and had a picture of the old rusty truck in the year book. FYI 78 lwb flairside with 460, c6, 4:10 dana 60's frt and rear. Have it in a thousand pieces doing a frame off for several years. Hope LIFE will let me get back to it next year.

Great looking shortbed!!!!!!! Bruce
What a great story. My son is very excited to drive "his truck"; I'll probably give him a few lessons this summer. I actually had considered that it would be handy to have someone else around that can drive when we're working around here. Thanks for the input and good luck with your rebuild.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:47 PM
blackjack33
Senior User
Good looking truck.

What size of tires are you running?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:47 PM
beaudog
Freshman User
Originally Posted by blackjack33
Good looking truck.

What size of tires are you running?
They are 35/12.50/15 BFG's. I really like the BFG's for the way they ride and look, wear is another story but I don't put many miles on this one so it really doesn't matter.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Wanna see what I've been working on??