Print Wikipost

Dynomax catback exhaust system - pseudo review

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:02 PM
anfo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got my truck last monday, put the new exhaust on Friday. The engine sounded sort of diesel/straight six-ish with the stock exhaust. The dynomax catback (dual rear outlet version, $254. from Jeggs) sounded real "tinny" and only made a "louder than stock grumble" from idle to about 1600 rpm then sounded stock from ~1800-5000rpm. I added two $12 "resonators" from walmart and now it sounds totally different, more like an indy car with a more defined idle sound to 2000rpm grumble. I also tried two of the... "rectangular outlet" tips and that gave it more of an indy car with "a bit of bark". So far I'm sticking with the resonators, just wanted to let you guys know that those tips actually make a difference in the exhaust note (enough so that I no longer want to tear it off). As for fit and finish, it takes some tweaking to get it just right and I only have about an 1/8" clearance between one of the tailpipes and shocks but I think it can be remedied by lengthing the cat to muffler pipe by about one to one and a half inches. I havent put my reese class III on yet but inital "clamp it on and see tests" reveal it should just require changing the 2 rear hangers to bolt onto the hitch instead of frame. The only real negative to it is loosing the spare tire mount (absolutely will not fit without the spare removed).

Now my question, does anyone know how the flowmaster 40 series sounds in comparison to the dynomax ultra flow? Does it give it more of a big block v-8 sound or just a louder indy car sound?

Old 08-18-2003, 04:15 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by anfo
Well I got my truck last monday, put the new exhaust on Friday. The engine sounded sort of diesel/straight six-ish with the stock exhaust. The dynomax catback (dual rear outlet version, $254. from Jeggs) sounded real "tinny" and only made a "louder than stock grumble" from idle to about 1600 rpm then sounded stock from ~1800-5000rpm. I added two $12 "resonators" from walmart and now it sounds totally different, more like an indy car with a more defined idle sound to 2000rpm grumble. I also tried two of the... "rectangular outlet" tips and that gave it more of an indy car with "a bit of bark". So far I'm sticking with the resonators, just wanted to let you guys know that those tips actually make a difference in the exhaust note (enough so that I no longer want to tear it off). As for fit and finish, it takes some tweaking to get it just right and I only have about an 1/8" clearance between one of the tailpipes and shocks but I think it can be remedied by lengthing the cat to muffler pipe by about one to one and a half inches. I havent put my reese class III on yet but inital "clamp it on and see tests" reveal it should just require changing the 2 rear hangers to bolt onto the hitch instead of frame. The only real negative to it is loosing the spare tire mount (absolutely will not fit without the spare removed).

Now my question, does anyone know how the flowmaster 40 series sounds in comparison to the dynomax ultra flow? Does it give it more of a big block v-8 sound or just a louder indy car sound?
I can't say for sure, cause when I asked the lady driving if the mufflers on the V-10 Ford she was cruising through the campground in were Flowmasters, or something else she said "it's my husbands truck but I do think that name sounds familiar, yea they might be Flowmasters". But I tell you what, I want MY V-10 to sound JUST LIKE that V-10. And whatever I have to do to achieve that sound will be money well spent. Monsta has a sound byte somewhere on the V-10 forum. I'm going to find it and compare it to the truck I heard, because it was AWESOME. It sounded half Indy car, half V-8-Ford watery exhaust rumble, and half something I can't quite describe. (yea I know it's three halves, so what ?) But it was a deep, powerful, rumbling, something sound. I glanced underneath real quick to see if I could see what it was, but there were no identifying marks. It looked oblong, like the Flowmasters do, but I had to walk out in the road and stop her and ask her which muffler she had, she was a little bit freaked out at first I think. I am 6' 5" and 235 pounds so who knows what she was thinking ? But my guess is the Flowmaster 40, it was louder than stock, but very nice sounding and I WANT it, or want whatever it was.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:41 AM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My FM40 sound bite is on my FTE website. Look for link on left side.

Old 08-19-2003, 09:48 AM
ken04
Posting Guru

Originally posted by jaxf250
My FM40 sound bite is on my FTE website. Look for link on left side.
OK, I must be a retard, but I can not find a sound file anywhere on your FTE site. I saw all the pics, but no sound bytes.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:01 AM
jaxf250
Posting Guru

Click on the "Club FTE Member" under my avitar in the above post to goto my FTE site, then look in the top left column for the link to the .zip file. A somewhat "chopped" version of my exhaust file can also be found on exhaustsoundclips . com

Old 08-19-2003, 12:52 PM
ken04
Posting Guru

Click on the "Club FTE Member" under my avitar in the above post to goto my FTE site, then look in the top left column for the link to the .zip file. A somewhat "chopped" version of my exhaust file can also be found on exhaustsoundclips . com
OK, finally, 3 hours later, after downloading Winzip, and then remembering I had to install it, and THEN unzip the file, (whew, this internetin is hard on us old guys) I got to hear it. It did not sound like the V-10 Ford I heard in the campground, it was very close, and maybe in real life it would be the same, but all my ear can tell is the gal I made stop in the middle of the road in the campground truck sounded very deep, and very powerful. I hate to say it sounded more V-8-ish but it sounded more V-8-ish. I need to find Monsta's sound file and play it again, so I can match it up to what I remember hearing. But it's probably just like the first girl you fell in love with 30 years ago, your memory of her is not even CLOSE to what she actually looked like eh ???

Old 08-19-2003, 01:25 PM
anfo
Senior User

I think I am going to buy the fm40 and give it a go. thanks for the replys/info guys.

Old 08-19-2003, 01:59 PM
ken04
Posting Guru

Originally posted by anfo
I think I am going to buy the fm40 and give it a go. thanks for the replys/info guys.
From everything I've heard, and everything I've read, the Flowmaster should be the muffler you're looking for, based on what you said you wanted. It'll be my next muffler too, as soon as I can get through some unimportant stuff, like bills and food and stuff. Good grief I paid $2 a gallon for gas this morning in Portland Oregon, it cost $70 to fill up my rig, ouch !!!

Old 08-19-2003, 04:03 PM
anfo
Senior User

Originally posted by ken04
From everything I've heard, and everything I've read, the Flowmaster should be the muffler you're looking for, based on what you said you wanted. It'll be my next muffler too, as soon as I can get through some unimportant stuff, like bills and food and stuff. Good grief I paid $2 a gallon for gas this morning in Portland Oregon, it cost $70 to fill up my rig, ouch !!!
hehe yeah, I've noticed as I upgrade the truck, I downgrade the groceries.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:00 PM
anfo
Senior User

Is that a single pipe or dual out pipes? That sounds WAY deeper than mine, about the difference between "straight pipes vs. stock exhaust" different.

Old 08-19-2003, 06:20 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru

single in, dual out

3" diam. pipe from OEM cat to FM40, then dual 2.25" diam. pipes out
passenger side behind tire with two 18" SS ANSA slash tips

I recorded it with the built-in microphone in my laptop, so not the best sound but it's all I got right now.

I gotta get some pix when the truck is clean. It looks pretty cool IMO.

Old 08-28-2003, 04:57 PM
anfo
Senior User

single in, dual out

3" diam. pipe from OEM cat to FM40, then dual 2.25" diam. pipes out
passenger side behind tire with two 18" SS ANSA slash tips

I recorded it with the built-in microphone in my laptop, so not the best sound but it's all I got right now.

I gotta get some pix when the truck is clean. It looks pretty cool IMO.
even with the original fm40 mine doesnt sound like that, I have a 3" in and dual 2 1/2's out. I think going down to 2 - 2 1/4 exit pipes will give me the sound I am looking for (it sounds deeper with the 40 but it doesnt have any "bark"

Old 09-24-2003, 07:10 PM
SevenSecStang
New User

I know everyone says that the FM40 is the muffler to use but I am not to familier with it, how many chambers does this muffler have? Anyone ever tried a Mac flowpath muffler or dual 3'' pipes off the headers?

btw
jaxf250
sounds great.