6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wal-Mart DEF Jugs warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Wal-Mart DEF Jugs warning

Got a warning from a friend. Apparently douche bags are buying DEF and replacing it with water and resealing the bottles up. They've been able to 're-glue' the packages and the bottle itself back making you think it hasn't been tampered with.

In addition to my previous warning about Wal-Mart carrying expired DEF - this is really concerning.

Wonder if there are DEF test strips?

Another concern was contaminated DEF at bulk truck stops. I always knock out the crystalized DEF out of the handles before I pump - and I'm also generally filling up my spare bottles so I would hope I would see something was wrong.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Watered down DEF or DEF that only contains water is not as serious as water in the fuel since DEF is approx 33% urea and the rest is water. I carry a hand pump with me in case I get a contaminated DEF message. As long as it is not a petroleum contamination, you can pump the DEF tank and refill with DEF.

Expired DEF is similar to the food "Best by date". Because the date has passed doesn't make it bad.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Watered down DEF well just cause a CEL. But at your expense to drain and refill.

I have a cheap tester at work, works like a turkey baster to take a sample, then see how many of the little ***** float. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow, but I'll probably forget....

Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
I never equated putting water in DEF to any other condition. I with you that fuel in DEF, DEF in Fuel, and water in fuel are far more costly problems. However, it is still a big deal to me. I drive in a lot of "no services" areas and a preventable shutdown would really irritate me. And its no services for a long period of time, meaning no cell phone service either. A lot of area sat phones don't work, even though the "coverage map" says they should. Even if I was in town and it shutdown and found out some jerk put water in a DEF jug and returned it, I'd still be quite upset.

I also like to get what I pay for. I know it isn't a big deal to fix it - and I would have all the equipment and extra DEF I need in my driveway. But maybe not on the side of the road. And I am positive there are a lot of people running around in diesel that use DEF that won't either. Right now, I'm using fairly old DEF and the truck just uses more of it, so old DEF to me isn't as concerning as water instead of DEF. This just goes back to the first sentence, I like to get what I paid for.

If I am the only that cares that's fine...

Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
In theory, the truck will start a mileage countdown, not just shut off, but in your neck of the woods that might not be enough.....
Let me see where you can get that tester I have.....

Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 PM
Icthus in AK
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Following... I live in Dak's neck of the wilderness.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Here is one on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-Urea-...rds=DEF+tester

and this one is a little cheaper... Might be worth the cost to have it in the tool box...

https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE10...ds=DEF+tester&

--

Depending on where you are when that countdown hits up here it could be an issue...

Old 07-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
That's the one Dak. You'll know right away with that if you got a jug of water.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chad149
That's the one Dak. You'll know right away with that if you got a jug of water.
Thanks for verifying that is the thing to get.. I almost want to get a specific gravity tester for diesel fuel too. It was what the *cough* chevy dealer used to test my fuel with everytime I brought my truck in for service, even if it was to fix someone non-fuel/motor related. As in, an oil change...

Old 07-14-2016, 06:32 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,070 Likes on 2,218 Posts
1. People suck
2. Testor seems legit...good Find Chad.
3. That Chevy dealer would have never saw me again if they did that. That's them looking for a way to screw you.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:15 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I buy DEF in the store, I almost always have seen sealed boxes in the back. Each box contains two jugs. Those are the ones I buy. Also, they are easier to transport in the back of my truck when in boxes.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
So much energy spent to save so little. 2.5 gallons of the Walmart brand Supertech is only $7.88 around here. It would seem the lowlifes would spend more in fuel to return the water than they saved in not buying the DEF. That said, Walmart and anywhere else that sells DEF should make it non-returnable. I also wonder about synthetic oil. How easy would it be to buy the cheapest dino oil and refill the full syn jug and return it? I'm sure that's been done as well...

Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Most oil containers have a tops that have a seal similar to a plastic water bottle to give indication if opened. Granted it can be defeated but like you stayed, a lot of effort to deceive someone or store.

Is not the DEF from Wal Mart a sealed container? You have to remove the silver seal like an anti-freeze container?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't the WM jugs have the foil tear off covering? It's been so long since I've used the jugs.

I do agree with Daksters comments on the Def bulk stations. Kinda makes a guy wonder if one should just stick to jugs.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i've always bought DEF from the truck stops.. Pilot, Flying J, Loves, etc. never had a problem..I only buy the expensive jugs if I absolutely have to, or if I need another spare to keep around. I always refill my empties with truck stop DEF as well..

If the truckstops were selling contaminated/watered down DEF they would be sticking their butts out for some large trucking company to take a big bite out of them..

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart DEF Jugs warning