6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Random Rant, RE: Help threads

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Random Rant, RE: Help threads

So all of these "Help Me!" threads seem to follow the same basic format.
1. Vague description of "It won't start"
2. Several members asking for more info on specific readings
3. OP not having the scan tool or app necessary to find specific readings
4. Members suggesting getting a scan tool or app
5. OP starts throwing random {EXPENSIVE} parts at it
6. OP swearing off 6.0's for life.

Do yourselves, and all of us a HUGE favor.
POST YOUR MOTOR-FORKING LOCATION!!

If you're 20 or 30 minutes away from me, rather than watch you throw money at it, and suffer the mental meltdown that follows, I'll grab a few things, hop in the truck, and come help you actually diagnose the problem. I'm sure most of the guys here would do the same.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's the like button?

Everyone needs a Scanguage or some way to monitor vitals and yes, I would come and try to help if you are in the vicinity. I don't like to hear of anyone stranded.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Norton72
Where's the like button?
It's at the top, right of each post, between the post number and the red triangle. It's a tiny scale. Click on that to say thank you for that post.

Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
So all of these "Help Me!" threads seem to follow the same basic format.
7. People ask for certain information (Does ANYTHING happen when you turn the key?)(Is the Check Engine Light on?) and the OP never answers the questions.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This community might not have grown as much as it did had there not been people to ask questions

Old 06-17-2016, 02:24 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What puts a burr under my saddle is when a new owner signs up, gets some advice or help and either fixes the problem or does not.........never to be heard from again.

I wonder how many garbage posters there are signed up here with ten posts or less, and how much storage it takes up on the sites servers.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:49 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Or, a poster lists his issues, is very specific. Gets great advice from this forum. Does what his brother in law said he needed to do. It didn't work. The poster proceeds to trash the forum and members for poor advice because one poster agreed with the BIL, and 10 others recommended something different. Three members offered to drive an hour too help them in person, and all the OP does is continue to gripe.

Doesn't happen much, but it has happened a few times.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:12 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
If I had one wish (besides what y'all have said), it would be: If the new member poster doesn't search or even read the 1st page of the 6.0 forum titles, for something similar to their problem, or look in the Tech Section, is that when we point the person to these places they actually go take a read.

Invariably we still end up helping. Sometimes to the point of giving step by step instructions with links, part numbers, you name it -- because they keep asking for help or saying they are confused...

It's almost as if the "new" generation of 6.0 owners come from the "entitled" generation and just expect everything to be handed to them...

There, that's my rant -- now somebody can flame me for saying it...

Old 06-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Good post and great point.... People are people. Redundant questions are everyday, go with the flow. We, you or I see them everyday, it is part of the forum. New users come and go, some of us stay.... some lurk for years until a problem shows up on their truck and then they post, always check the Join date not the actual post count.

I found FTE since I was curious about my truck and forums were relatively new. Little did I know how the internet would grow and you can find information on how to grow the perfect Daisey or fix your old farm implement.

New users ask questions because they are looking for answers, us Old Timers have to guide and help in a tasteful way, then repeat.... again. May seem frustrating but look at the Newbie side of the information. If questions seem redundant, they are, frustrating, it is but we make it work and the advice is solid. My advice, push away from the keyboard and think about the response before you submit the Reply.... generally works.

The launch of the 6.0L was pretty hairy but I think we have one of the best groups around for solving problems in my opinion.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by diesel_dan

There, that's my rant -- now somebody can flame me for saying it...
We wouldn't do that....

Over the years attending events I found most are not computer savvy when I got to know them, some find the informational High Way intimidating. Age and computer use varies by how a person interacts with the forum. An odd Reply one day warranted a phone call, seems his Cat walked across the key board...

Not sure about you but I can spot someone of the younger generation when they post.....

Old 06-18-2016, 12:58 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I can remember when I was swimming in ignorance and there was too much to know to be able to reason anything out. It takes a minimum knowledge base to understand anything. Anyone that's been learning about the 6.0 less than 2 weeks deserves a little forgiveness.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:44 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
It can be difficult when people have a cursory amount of knowledge from gas motors then try to solve diesel issues without the full understanding. It's also hard when they don't describe something correctly (pics can help!). What really drives me nuts are people who really don't know what they are doing and just throw stuff on the wall. That can get the other person who doesn't have a clue really turned around. Today's diesels are too complex in operational control, and too expensive in parts to throw things at.

Maybe there should be a sticky post that goes through what members would like to have in a help posting. Of course, the new member would have to see that sticky first!

Back to cutting grass at the farm.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:42 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I think a sticky JUST for no start would help. Maybe lock it so no responses to keep is from getting too big.
There is so much in the tech files it really is overwhelming and hard to find some stuff.
I have also seen a lot of misuse of terms. Lots are using "crank" for engine running.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe a sticky to read a sticky indicating to read the current sticky. LOL.

Unfortunately, no matter what forum on whatever topic you will never be able to stop this. It is just the nature of the beast.

I feel everyone's pain on this. At least a location can help us help them. You can only bring the horse to water.....

Old 06-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
The Sticky works and again it doesn't. We find first posts and questions in the strangest places. One has to have patience..... The Bull in the China Shop is a real challenge, we all know those threads go South really quick. The forums are real with real individuals behind the key board and some users cannot grasp the fact we can reach out and touch you.

I can say you guys do a great job, as frustrating as it can be, to help.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:06 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
It can be difficult when people have a cursory amount of knowledge from gas motors then try to solve diesel issues without the full understanding. It's also hard when they don't describe something correctly (pics can help!). What really drives me nuts are people who really don't know what they are doing and just throw stuff on the wall. That can get the other person who doesn't have a clue really turned around. Today's diesels are too complex in operational control, and too expensive in parts to throw things at.

Maybe there should be a sticky post that goes through what members would like to have in a help posting. Of course, the new member would have to see that sticky first!

Back to cutting grass at the farm.
I know I have been guilty of this Get caught up in theory, or something I've read, but not done myself. It is a good reminder to let those that know do the Q and A, versus from an "internet trained expert"...

Quick Reply: Random Rant, RE: Help threads