6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Potential New 6.7 Guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:52 PM
JcF204
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Potential New 6.7 Guy

Hello,
My son wants to buy my 08 6.4l. I am considering doing this and if so that means I need a new truck...

So I would naturally move into the 6.7 world. I am not about to plunk down 70k for a 2017. So can I get a pointer or two of the good and bad of the current run of 6.7's? I am assuming a used 2016 would be my best bet hoping that any bugs have been worked out in the last few years?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-01-2016, 03:20 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All good for me with my 2015. Awesome truck. You'll love it! If you have the $ to order a '17, why not? There are still lots of new 16's on the lots though, and you could probably get a good deal on one of those. That's what I would do if I were buying right now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Typically not a big price difference between a low mileage used 15-16 and a new one off the lot. Shop around a few dealers and you'll start to see.

I love my 15. Getting close to 25K miles.

If you research you'll see issues regarding the "jackhammering" sound on the 15+ trucks. Ford has a fix that is covered under warranty should that occur on your truck. The biggest issue is there is far more misinformation about this problem that has circulated the forums than anything else. I had the repair done on my truck, it runs just fine now. The biggest change was the calibration and how it handles the regens. It now fuels both banks on regen, rather than just the driver's side.

Other than that, they've been pretty solid. I plan to keep mine for quite some time.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
The biggest change was the calibration and how it handles the regens. It now fuels both banks on regen, rather than just the driver's side.
Whoa - that's the first time I have heard that. It was speculated to be part of a potential fix, but I had not heard that confirmed. How do you know?

I'm also still trying to find out what difference it makes in regen frequency or duration. Also, if I take my '15 in for a routine reflash, will they do this, is it part of the standard code set now, or something only done to those trucks with a complaint, and other trucks will get a different reflash without this change?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
Whoa - that's the first time I have heard that. It was speculated to be part of a potential fix, but I had not heard that confirmed. How do you know?
I found out from the right people.

Originally Posted by swarf_rat
I'm also still trying to find out what difference it makes in regen frequency or duration. Also, if I take my '15 in for a routine reflash, will they do this, is it part of the standard code set now, or something only done to those trucks with a complaint, and other trucks will get a different reflash without this change?
Yes the calibration update is routine and is included with all current versions of IDS. Take your truck in for a complaint on the regen and the dealer will flash it. The TSB has the calibration update covered under warranty. Replacing the valves is optional, and if you have continued to experience the engine rattling recently, it's probably a good idea to have the valves replaced. If it's been infrequent or hasn't occurred in a while, you can probably skip the valve replacement.

They aren't hitting pistons at all. Let's just get that out of the way right now since that was a major point of argument on some past threads. I've already looked at mine. Zero contact. The tech that worked on it confirmed as well. So that rumor can be squashed. Mine isn't the only one that has had numerous "jackhammer" events with zero valve to piston contact.

It's also not an issue with the guides, or improper valve clearance. Everything is within spec.

What is happening is with the regen on only one side, there's excess buildup on the valves that will prevent them from closing completely while fuel is being dumped midway through the regen. That buildup over time can be mitigated by driving style, fuel quality, etc, which is why not all trucks experienced this. It happened mostly with the 15's and up because the regen process varies a bit from the older trucks thanks to the different turbo setup, increase in power, etc... so they got just enough of a buildup to cause the issue.

This is also why some owners had the heads replaced, only to have the issue pop back up again.

Because the regen now happens on both banks, most people have reported a change in the amount of time it takes to complete a regen, and also have noticed a difference in fuel economy where it's not dropping as drastically during a regen has it has with prior calibrations.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM
JcF204
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone, there are some good deals on 2016's that the local dealers are looking to get rid of. I may just pull the rigger on one of them!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Beedub109r
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You won't be sorry

I love my 16. The quality, the fit and finish, the A/C Seats! I was going to wait for the 17 and the aluminum body but I pulled the trigger a few months ago and I will probably trade it in in a couple more years. I have had two F350s, an 8 and a 10. I really love this 250 and it rides like a 1/2 ton. One of the nicest feature is how quiet the cab is on the highway.

I don't have a big trailer but I have a 2016 23' Genesis toy hauler. The truck pulls it like it's not even there. We went to pick the trailer up new and my wife was following me home. She called me and asked if I knew I was doing 85 MPH? I looked down at the dash and she was right, lol.

The urea DEF is new to me. Neither of my 350's had it but it's not that big of a deal. Just don't spill it on the toes of your boots, it turns white.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:03 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes the calibration update is routine and is included with all current versions of IDS. Take your truck in for a complaint on the regen and the dealer will flash it. The TSB has the calibration update covered under warranty. Replacing the valves is optional, and if you have continued to experience the engine rattling recently, it's probably a good idea to have the valves replaced. If it's been infrequent or hasn't occurred in a while, you can probably skip the valve replacement.

They aren't hitting pistons at all. Let's just get that out of the way right now since that was a major point of argument on some past threads. I've already looked at mine. Zero contact. The tech that worked on it confirmed as well. So that rumor can be squashed. Mine isn't the only one that has had numerous "jackhammer" events with zero valve to piston contact.

It's also not an issue with the guides, or improper valve clearance. Everything is within spec.

What is happening is with the regen on only one side, there's excess buildup on the valves that will prevent them from closing completely while fuel is being dumped midway through the regen. That buildup over time can be mitigated by driving style, fuel quality, etc, which is why not all trucks experienced this. It happened mostly with the 15's and up because the regen process varies a bit from the older trucks thanks to the different turbo setup, increase in power, etc... so they got just enough of a buildup to cause the issue.

This is also why some owners had the heads replaced, only to have the issue pop back up again.

Because the regen now happens on both banks, most people have reported a change in the amount of time it takes to complete a regen, and also have noticed a difference in fuel economy where it's not dropping as drastically during a regen has it has with prior calibrations.
Is this 15s only, or all 6.7s?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru

Great information thanks.
My 15 has not been affected by any of the regen problems. Am I understanding this right? When I take my truck in for service they will perform the flash regardless?
The flash seems like a good thing.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:20 PM
U235Fishin'
Senior User
I really like my truck, but I had to fix a couple of design problems. First, the crew cab short bed has a 26 gallon fuel tank which is very undersized when towing. I replaced it with a Titan 50 gallon tank and now it is not a logistical exercise to tow across some of the wide open expanses of the southwest. Second, the rear suspension allows the truck to squat and bottom out on bumps under load, in my case about 850 pounds. I installed AirLift bags and an on board compressor and Rancho 9000 shocks. Now I'm a happy camper.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by k7lvo
Is this 15s only, or all 6.7s?
2015-2016 built on or before 2/23/16

Originally Posted by Ricohman
Great information thanks.
My 15 has not been affected by any of the regen problems. Am I understanding this right? When I take my truck in for service they will perform the flash regardless?
The flash seems like a good thing.
I think the flash is the most important part. Not all dealers perform calibration updates regardless of what it's in for. Some places you have to ask. Just depends on how good the techs are.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:49 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,305 Posts
Look around there are some good deal that can be had on a 16 especially if your willing to travel some.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 AM
HOGSONTHEROAD
New User
x2. Just need to keep searching and one will be there.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:46 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

You would think that on myford.com they would have a recall for the "jackhammering" problem. I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but it only has 15K miles.

Bought mine in 10/14 (2015 truck).

Old 06-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by roadkingfl
You would think that on myford.com they would have a recall for the "jackhammering" problem. I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but it only has 15K miles.

Bought mine in 10/14 (2015 truck).
Probably because it does not affect very many trucks. Nobody (dealers) in my area has even heard of this problem.
And there is more misinformation than actual information on the interwebz....