1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

CAUTION: BALL's Rod and Kustom electric windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:51 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAUTION: BALL's Rod and Kustom electric windows

I would NOT recommend anyone to use BALL's Rod and Kustom electric window kits for the 48-52 Ford PU one or two piece glass.
There is not enough room to get the angle of the track right to make it work correctly.

TractormanBill

Old 05-26-2016, 02:19 PM
JakRak
Senior User
And you've been messing with this for awhile, too, right?

Will they accept a return at this point? Partial refund?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:26 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

I don't know if I have the guts to ask them!
Bet I have been working on this for 4 or 5 months on and off.
Look at the various holes where I have tried different positions.
But this is not all the problem as you cannot bet the track to follow the angle of the original window due to the clearance of the motor.
Good news is this is not the door on my truck!
TractormanBill

Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM
coupman35
Freshman User
Maybe check to see am shure some has but power window in a 52 f1 ,Let see what they used and how hard or easy was it too do Am using Auto Loc power window but am not finish hey for far it look ok .Will update as i go

Old 05-26-2016, 03:38 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Since you can remount the motor and mount the track alone it should mount pretty easy but there sure seem to be a lot of people on the internet that are running into bad motors at first and a few months down the road but the best of luck to you.
TractormanBill

Old 05-27-2016, 08:32 AM
dbran451
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone tried using the kits from LMC it use's the original door parts just adds a motor and cable

Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Only thing i see on LMC is the 36-0696 which attaches to the original mechanical lifting unit. Is going to work possibly on the standard 2 piece glass.
TractormanBill

Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Working inside the door for windows and locks is right up there with gas tanks when it comes to my least favorite things to do. Very frustrating even when things fit right. You sound like me when it comes to sending back parts or complaining about them, I more times than not just toss them on the shelf and eat the $, but a friendly call wouldn't hurt who knows maybe the parts were miss labeled and you don't have the correct one?????. All they can say is no, any way Im sorry for your frustration and wish you the best of luck getting it sorted out

Old 05-27-2016, 02:24 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My friends at So-Cal Arizona are only selling and recommending this one from Nu-Relics.

1948-1952 Ford Truck power window kit to remove the vent window for one piece glass.

They say this is the only one that works. It is almost the same mechanism as the original and uses the original holes for the window regulator. The motor is more reliable than those from China.

I will use this one as soon as I can duplicate where the original holes are located since the stupid previous owner (PO) welded up the holes.

Philip

Old 05-27-2016, 02:34 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I have read your posts and looked at your pics but I can't get clear in my mind what your problem is with this setup. The first photo looks like you have removed the vertical guide from one power window assy and placed the motor and lower window track inside the door. I take it that the assy leaning against the door on the outside is there to show what the assembled power window actuator looks like before installation.
What is the "angle" that you are talking about? The vertical guide should be at a 90 degree angle to the lower window track and in line with the movement of the window glass. There should be no problem mounting the glass to the vertical guide, placing it down into the door, and then attaching the motor assy.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:54 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

CharlieLed,
If you are talking to TractormanBill (Bill Bailes) I was trying to use Ball's Rod & Custom unit. The track mounts vertical left to right or 90° to bottom of the door.
The problem is the upper part of the track must be mounted close to the inner door skin at the top. The bottom of the track needs to be mounted as close to the outer door skin as possible and the motor prevents this. If you are going to use the latch mechanism the track has to be set off from the center of the door to clear the mechanism inside.
I know this sounds deep but I have been working on different combinations with this for months to no avail.
I would dare to say no one has mounted this type of unit in a 48-52 Ford PU and it worked well, if so lets hear who!
TractormanBill

Old 05-27-2016, 03:03 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Understood. Is the motor hard-mounted to the vertical guide/track? While I am not familiar with this particular unit, most I use have used some leeway in the motor mounting arrangement to where you can position the motor where it fits best. Have you trimmed the vertical guide/track to the proper height? It seems a bit tall in the pic.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:27 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

I trimmed one of the tracks a few inches but welded it back. I did not have to trim the track and I mounted the motor just below the panel opening.
The motor is not removable as is the Chinese Auto Loc.
You might be able to mount the motor and track lower but it would be nearly impossible to get to the motor mounts to shim them out away from the inner door skin to get the angle the window runs at plus the space gets small as you go lower.
The complete motor and track is pictured above hanging on the outside of the door and also the various holes I have mounted the motor.
TractormanBill

Old 05-27-2016, 04:58 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Probably the reason my Ball system fit and works is that I removed the inside door handles and wing windows. If I didn't have upholstery on the door I would take more pictures for reference. Sorry you had a bad experience with their system.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:04 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

48 Steel,
Did you cut the tracks?
About how far is the top of the track from the inside of the door skin?
About how much clearance did the motor have to the outside door skin?
How low in the door did you mount the motor?

TractormanBill