Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2017 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1saxman
As a KIA Sportage driver, I am now in the market for the '17 Sportage SX (2.0L T, 240 HP). If for some reason that does not get done, the '17 Escape Titanium (2.0L T, 240 HP) is my next option. It could become my first option based on the results of test drives which are going to happen in the next few weeks. The '17 Escape has many new features, like an advanced rear suspension for better handling and a quieter ride. Of course, the '17 KIA Sportage is a new vehicle (4G series) and also has many new features. I care more about styling, handling and power than I do things like rear seat room or fuel economy (only have 40,000 mi. on my 2011). I use the vehicle for transporting me and my equipment to gigs and as just 'my car'. I also have a truck and my wife has a minivan, so we have the 'utility' thing covered. I'm a sporty driver and handling is critical. The Sportage is all alone in that category compared to all other crossovers but I would have to drive the Escape to see if 'improved handling' is really meaningful. The main thing about the Escape is 3 or 4 MPG better than the Sportage. That's not a big factor for me as I said but you can't ignore it either - gas is cheap now but it could get high again overnight the next time some sheep herder decides to blow something up.
I personally refuse to buy Korean but they are making better cars these days for sure. The Sportage is not alone in the handling category (BMW SUV's handle...) You are also overlooking the Mazda CX-5 if you want gas mileage, great handling, AND a stick if you want something you can really drive instead of just pointing in the direction you want to go. From the tests I've read, both the CX-5 and the Escape outhandle the Sportage already and the CX-5 is the best in the category. Koreans don't have suspension dynamics down.

George

Old 06-17-2016, 03:42 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would personally not own another Escape, I think they are very poorly put together to the point even the driver side rear door on mine is not shaped correctly to fit the body lines of the vehicle. It has been in the shop several times to try and stop dust from entering the cab as I live in the country. Also has a multitude of rattles that drive me nuts. Reliable yes, care and attention to detail and quality manufacture not a chance. When they actually do a body style change and not an upgrade to a poorly built vehicle maybe I would look again but when this one is finished it won't be replaced by a Ford.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:03 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you get from a Sportage/Escape to a BMW in one fell swoop? And after living with a 2011 Sportage for over five years, I can assure you that it is a handler. The imperfections that model (3G) had have been generally ironed out with the new model (4G). I still haven't driven either the Sportage or Escape but expect to be in one or the other in 30 days. I've had plenty of manual trans vehicles. For this application I prefer the snappy-shifting auto with manual mode.