Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2017 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 05:08 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
2017 Escape

Anyone here considering a 2017 Escape? I thought I was going to replace my wife's Expy with a Transit Connect and would actually still like to but everytime we go somewhere and she sees a newer model Escape she makes a comment about how she likes it.

Any thoughts as to best engine choice and package to get into? I'm pretty intrigued by the 2.0L Ecoboost however the N/A 2.5L is tried and true. The 1.5L replaced the 1.6L is is supposed to be a better engine.

Thoughts?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:28 AM
OT7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2.0L twin-scroll eco-boost engine is new for MY 2017. Have a May 19 ETA on my 2017 Escape SE. Got 2.0L twin-scroll engine. My Escape SE is in 5/16/2016.

Last edited by OT7; 05-12-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2016, 08:16 PM
OT7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First fill 25.3 MPG 2.0L FWD 50/50 city hwy.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The Escape is going to be a much nicer driver's vehicle in terms of comfort and everyday driving. The TC is a cool little package if you need the cargo room, but it's basically a small commercial truck and is gonna be noisier and not as refined.

The new twin-scroll 2.0 has been used in the Edge since 2015 and I've been watching for any reports of issues--I've not seen any problems yet. It will be a REAL hotrod motor in the Escape and if your wife is not going to have problems with her driver's license, she might really enjoy it (and so would you if she lets you drive it). I know Ford has used a 1.5 EB in the Fusion and don't know if it's a new gen version that will be used in the Escape or the same engine as the Fusion.

If she's moving down from an Expy, she may find the Escape to be a bit tight inside and you might want to consider the Edge if that's the case. I subscribe to the theory of "when Mama is happy, everyone is happy."

George

Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought Ford had used a larger EB versions in the Edges in the past also a heavier transaxle because of this?

Old 05-22-2016, 11:06 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
The 2015+ Edge gets the 2.7 EB in the Sport model (and this is available in the MKX also).

Prior to 2015, the choice was the 3.5 NA, the 3.7 NA in the Sport, and the old 2.0 EB as the mileage motor.

I do think the Edge typically used the 6F50 trans and the Escape (and TC) the 6F35.

George

Old 05-22-2016, 11:46 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
The 6F55 in the Taurus SHO.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wptski
The 6F55 in the Taurus SHO.
That sounds right..the Explorer with 3.5 EB would also get the 6F55, and likely all the police interceptor versions of the Taurus and Explorer including NA. Doubt there is much diff between the 50 and 55 versions.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:23 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Rear headroom in the Escape is a bit underwhelming but it seems to deliver everywhere else.

I've had the Edge in my sights before and I can't see me getting into that car as the rear cargo room is not much better than the Escape but for a premium price it can be had.

The Explorer is a really nice car and I want one but, IMHO and not to sound like a douche, I don't think it's worth the money. Affordability isn't the issue, willingness to part with the money is. The Escape is actually closing in on that feeling as well.

My entire issue is all the goodies and tech that the car makers are coming out with now. I love it and I think it's the way into the future but I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I don't want top spend. I will however as I'll have no choice.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:02 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
That sounds right..the Explorer with 3.5 EB would also get the 6F55, and likely all the police interceptor versions of the Taurus and Explorer including NA. Doubt there is much diff between the 50 and 55 versions.
Sometimes police versions get changes that somewhat different. The police version rear ends built at Ford Sterling Plant prior to my retirement(2008) had oversized drum brakes.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 AM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
My entire issue is all the goodies and tech that the car makers are coming out with now. I love it and I think it's the way into the future but I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I don't want top spend. I will however as I'll have no choice.
I agree. I personally wouldn't mind a vehicle with manual windows and kick panel vents. I don't need satellite radio or built-in WiFi, Don't want OnStar or similar controls, and prefer a manual shift transmission. I don't like leather interiors either.
I would prefer to take the money spent on those and put it under the hood and into the suspension.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tseekins
Rear headroom in the Escape is a bit underwhelming but it seems to deliver everywhere else.

I've had the Edge in my sights before and I can't see me getting into that car as the rear cargo room is not much better than the Escape but for a premium price it can be had.

The Explorer is a really nice car and I want one but, IMHO and not to sound like a douche, I don't think it's worth the money. Affordability isn't the issue, willingness to part with the money is. The Escape is actually closing in on that feeling as well.

I'm a cheapskate as well. (I would wonder how you could justify an Expy, as those are MASSIVELY overpriced cash cows for Ford IMO...) Americans have been taught that cars are priced "by the pound" where the world market understands the value of a small premium car like a BMW or Acura. There is no bigger profit center for Ford than loaded pickups and big SUV's.

Although I really wanted a domestic SUV in 2008 (specifically the old AWD Escape with a stick which did not exist), I ended up buying a new 2009 Subaru Forester with a stick for $20,400 plus tax. AWD, plastic hubcaps on steel wheels, power windows and locks, cruise, and safe as hell in a collision. The headliner is cheap flocked cardboard, the carpet is thin woven mousehair, there is a lot of hard plastic inside, but the sucker will run 250k miles. And there is more headroom and legroom in the rear seat than in the current Escape. In short, the Subaru is a screaming bargain and even the modern Forester in base trim is maybe $23k tops although you can run them up over $30k with the turbo, leather, etc.

I've been thinking of replacing my Forester with an Edge and find that the Escape and Edge do have very high prices compared to my Subaru. On the other hand, I can get some pretty hefty discounts on the Fords. In particular, the 2016 Escape has some huge rebates happening. I have friends from all of the big 3 and for example got my $34.5k list Grand Caravan for $27.5k brand new, 2016 model year. Friends and family, $3500 rebate, PLUS another $1500 off from the dealer. 20% off... I was looking at used Expy's as an alternative and for $27.5k would have been looking at 80k mile vehicles that suck gas.

I would also expect at least $5 or 6k off on a loaded Escape or Edge easily, whereas I got about $1000 off on the Subaru using the Costco buying service. (And yes, the Explorers are even more overpriced IMO but Ford can sell them.) But a 2017 Escape won't discount as deeply because it's a new thing...shop 2016 leftover models for much better prices at this moment.

George

Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I'm targeting 2017+ because I don't particularly like the front end styling on the current Escape, it's too busy IMHO.

I'm politicking hard for a subbie but i'm hit a brick wall on that one. She's always had Fords.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:32 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Best of luck on finding a good deal on a vehicle that makes your wife happy. The '17 Escape will have the 2nd gen 2.0 if that's the engine you want so that's a plus.

I stopped worrying very much about exterior styling a long time ago because I don't see it when I drive. Seat comfort, on the other hand, will make or break a sale for me.

I do agree the '16 Escape front end is busy, though, with a lot of shapes fighting each other. I like the Lincoln MKC styling but would not pay the price. (Wish Ford had not dumped Mercury, as it gave some alternate styling at not a huge price--and I like our local Lincoln/Mercury dealer.)

George

Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As a KIA Sportage driver, I am now in the market for the '17 Sportage SX (2.0L T, 240 HP). If for some reason that does not get done, the '17 Escape Titanium (2.0L T, 240 HP) is my next option. It could become my first option based on the results of test drives which are going to happen in the next few weeks. The '17 Escape has many new features, like an advanced rear suspension for better handling and a quieter ride. Of course, the '17 KIA Sportage is a new vehicle (4G series) and also has many new features. I care more about styling, handling and power than I do things like rear seat room or fuel economy (only have 40,000 mi. on my 2011). I use the vehicle for transporting me and my equipment to gigs and as just 'my car'. I also have a truck and my wife has a minivan, so we have the 'utility' thing covered. I'm a sporty driver and handling is critical. The Sportage is all alone in that category compared to all other crossovers but I would have to drive the Escape to see if 'improved handling' is really meaningful. The main thing about the Escape is 3 or 4 MPG better than the Sportage. That's not a big factor for me as I said but you can't ignore it either - gas is cheap now but it could get high again overnight the next time some sheep herder decides to blow something up.

Quick Reply: 2017 Escape