Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ignition torn out from thief

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Fiftyfives55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition torn out from thief

A thief tried to steal my 02 last weekend. Now I need to change out my ignition and its torn up. I've seen the YouTube videos but those only help if your ignition is still in tact. Any help please

Old 04-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Fiftyfives55
New User
He was caught

He was caught the next day running a chop shop. His current situation is in jail with NO BOND

Old 04-23-2016, 05:33 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Satisfying to have the weenie stuck in Hotel Greybar already. Instant karma.

What exactly is broken? Any chance for some pics? Also please post up your location, maybe there's a member near you.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
+1 on good to hear the guy's in jail, that's what I call a happy ending. On the ignition, first you'll need to determine if the channel it fits in is damaged or if it tore up only the cylinder on the way out. Like aawlberninf350 said pics will help. If you just need a cylinder it's an easy fix, if your housing is damaged it's another story. I had a pic of mine when I changed it out let me see if I can find it.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
before you fix it let the police know that you wish to press for the damages and costs associated to repair/fix and replace the bits and parts (they may want you to take it to a shop to get an estament)

Old 04-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Insurance should cover it if you have full coverage.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:51 PM
Fiftyfives55
New User

Best pic I have for now. Report was made that day. I live in Central Florida. I had my boat trailer on the truck at the time. Thank God he didn't get it.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:55 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
That hole, channel, casing, whatever they call it looks damaged. You might need to replace that part of the steering column. I believe that it is part of the upper column and that is deeper than I've been yet.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:22 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
If it's anything like the lock cylinder on an '86 Mustang, you're in for some work. Mine looked similar after the same story.

What's left in your photo looks to be the lock cylinder housing, with maybe parts of the lock cylinder within still remaining. Typically, the lock cylinder is removed with the key in and turned to the run position, then you can press a pin (which could be the red bit in your photo) and the cylinder pulls out with the key. With the cylinder out, you can then remove the housing (via torz screws under the column cover), but the cylinder needed to come out first. I had half of my cylinder still in there, and ended using a drill and slide puller to get it out. The housing was toast after that, and even with a replacement, I always a little trouble operating the ignition since.

Good luck, and hopefully the jerk who did this to you will **** off the wrong guy in prison and get some proper punishment!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:09 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm gonna disagree. looks like he may be in luck. Will the inner portion turn at all? maybe with a screw driver? Maybe even with the key? Take the lower plastic cover off the steering column. You'll find a silver pin that can be pushed that will allow you to pull the busted up cylinder out. Only stipulation is you have to be able to turn the inner cylinder forward to the on but not running position. There is a way to break the cylinder or drill a hole were the pin is hidden if it won't turn but I would let a lock smith do it to keep from tearing up the column. If you want to see what a complete new cylinder looks like go by Oreilly's and buy a new one for about $35. you need it anyway. I have one laying on my desk at home but it will be tomorrow before I can get to it for a picture.

As mentioned above post up your location

Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
I believe the red pin is part of the "key in switch" ding ding alarm. It may not work any more

Old 04-24-2016, 12:57 AM
kallyi
New User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
That hole, channel, casing, whatever they call it looks damaged. You might need to replace that part of the steering column. I believe that it is part of the upper column and that is deeper than I've been yet.
Mine had the same thing done to it a month ago. Insurance paid for repairs, and the upper part of the steering column had to be replaced.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:59 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Here's a pic of the parts that are replaced. They won't be in pieces when you buy them obviously but this my old one. His is missing the black plastic and part of the inner. Unless damage was done to the column he should be able to replace ignition lock only. If insurance will cover it with no deductable then go for it but if not at least give this a try.

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
parts assembled

Here's what it looks like assembled. Your ignition new key will be different from your door key unless you take it to a lock smith and have it re-keyed before install. If your pretty handy with small tools you can do like I did and disassemble the old and new locks and swap the wafers over yourself and it will use your old keys. It's full of small springs and a ball bearing for detent locking but not overly complicated.

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro

Quick Reply: Ignition torn out from thief