Notices
2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Intermittent no-start

Old 12-15-2017, 09:48 AM
dmustang
Freshman User
dmustang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
It has been my experience that when a fuel pump is failing, that is how it acts. It may randomly die while driving or intermittently fail to start. It may run terrific one moment then dog out. A fuel pressure test will usually tell the tale.
All fuses were checked. The old pump works the new pump worked before install. Van will start and run pouring fuel into the intake . So it's is firing and will run if it gets fuel. Some reason it's not sending power to the pump. If somebody has a reason please reply.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't believe it should be "pouring fuel into the intake". That sounds like a stuck open injector or fuel pressure regulator.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looking up the fuse diagram, looks like:
there is a fuel injection pump relay at R12
and a fuel injection pump fuse at F24
in the engine compartment fuse box.

Sometimes fuses can look good and even test good with low current but not handle the load when full current is applied. And relays can wear out.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
And looking up that vehicle on Rock Auto I see a fuel pump / circuit opening relay, but I do not know where on the vehicle it is located.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ing+relay,3380

Old 12-15-2017, 02:31 PM
dmustang
Freshman User
Thanks. I ended having to tow to dealer. Still have no part to fix their recall on the driveshaft problem.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
I am interested to know what the problem is.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:43 AM
dmustang
Freshman User
I will post. They already replaced the battery which I didn't know is under the driver seat until I started messing with it.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 PM
b1corr
New User
b1corr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am watching this post for more info about the problem. I bought my 2015 T150 2 weeks ago and it stopped on the interstate in a construction zone. My wife was behind me and we went to a gas station bought a can and got 2 gallons of gas. Went back to the truck put the 2 gallons in and it started right up. Went up the interstate a ways and filled the tank, It only took 17 gallons so I knew that I had some kind of other problem. I drove about 10 more miles up the freeway and again the engine stopped just like it ran out of fuel. I sat for about 5 minutes and it again started. This time ran about 15 miles and failed again. I made it home after that time. Next day, after researching the problem I came up with the idea that the Fuel Pump Driver Module was the problem. I went by my Ford dealer and got the part and installed it (took about 5 minutes). Van ran great for the next day (drove about 120 miles). Day after that I drove to a customer and did some work on a conveyor line. Got ready to leave and no start. Called wife to come to my aid. I was going to tow the van home. When she arrived, I tried the van just one more time. It started so we started for home (36 miles away). The van stopped 3 times on the way home. I called the guy I bought the van from and he said they had never had any problem like that with the van. I am now thinking that maybe the inertia switch may be intermittent. I am going to jump it out tomorrow and see it that is the problem. **** I do hope you guys are still keeping up with this string. ****