1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2.3L won't run

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2.3L won't run

Yesterday I changed the spark plugs per factory spec (0.044") and changed the air filter. I could not replace the fuel filter because I didn't have that special tool for the fuel lines. The battery was disconnected during the procedure. I reconnected the battery and then the truck started and idled fine. The fuel gauge read EMPTY and we shut it off and left it overnight.

This morning, my sister tried to start it and it experienced a very hard start. She finally got it started and she ran it to the gas station, left it running and put in dry gas with regular gas. Then she drove two blocks and it died. I went out there and tried to start it. I got it to start and depressed the accelerator pedal about half way after it started and it would idle at 200rpm for one second, bounce up to 2000rpm for one second, back down to 200rpm for a second and continued in that cyclic manner. So I shut it off.

I pushed the truck back to her house a few blocks and we called the dealership. They said IAC, fuel pump or fuel filter. I told them to absolutely replace the fuel filter regardless. It's being towed to the dealership. Do those items sound about right?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:28 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
First up I would change the filter and perform a fuel pressure test.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
So they checked fuel pressure and it was spot on. Then they ran a diagnostic scan and the mass air flow sensor was tweaking. They pulled it out and it was covered in FOAM. WTF? HTF would foam get on the MAF sensor??? After they cleaned the MAF sensor and intake tube, they had to clear the CEL. Then all the other stuff checked out great. They replaced the fuel filter because I told them to. I cannot believe foam got on the MAF sensor.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
They pulled it out and it was covered in FOAM. WTF? HTF would foam get on the MAF sensor??? .

Neither can I, now I will be up all night thinking this one out, damn you!

Just kidding glad it is fixed.. P

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
On the foam covering the MAF sensor, what did you notice when you changed the air filter????

What kind of air filter did you use????

Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
I didn't buy the filter... My sister bought a Fram filter and for some reason a Fram filter was in there. I don't like Fram filters, but she said to just use it, so I installed it. Below the filter I pulled out was a bunch of debris - leaves, dirt, etc. We vacuumed out the air box. I didn't see anything up the intake tube.