1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Correct Spark Plug Torque And Gap? (1999 E-150 5.4 V8)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:46 PM
dbbldz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Correct Spark Plug Torque And Gap? (1999 E-150 5.4 V8)

Anyone have experience with the plugs on these vans? I've heard the plugs can blow out if not torqued properly and the original factory torque specs are wrong because of blow out problems. Not sure if this affects all Ford 5.4s or my van specifically?

Additionally, there seems to be a debate about whether anti-seize should be used or they should be installed dry. Any thoughts?

Lastly, are Motorcraft spark plugs pre-gapped? Will be checking them anyway but was curious. Are the original spark plug gap recommendations the same or have they also changed?

Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This looks like the definitive answer on 5.4L plugs, dbbldz.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...5-4-plugs.html
HTH

Old 04-14-2016, 10:50 AM
WorldCommander
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is info here on the 5.4 also:

Blownoutsparkplug.com Ford Spark Plug Thread Repair

Vastly different torque specs than the manual states. I have a V10 and used this service twice. Never any problem.

I didn't have a blown plug or repair. They changed plugs using the post '99 plug and their torque values.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Jim's link is good as far as it goes however in the time since new procedures have been adapted by most of us who DIY plugs...........

-Nothing but the Motorcraft plugs sped'd for the specific year and engine. The plug gap is pre-set at the factory, nothing more than a quick check right before installation to assure its not changed for unknown reasons (shipping mishandling etc.)

-Anti-seize a definite must IMHO, nickel-based because it withstands higher operating temperatures (as compared to aluminum-based). Despite the spec'd plug's platinum thread plating this single step greatly reduces potential issues next plug change.

-ANY good quality brand/type of torque wrench is more than sufficient, the preferred range for maximum accuracy 5-75 is best. (Digital is okay but that's not necessary at all, the "click" type just as good.)

-Torque the plugs to about 22 ft/lbs, disregard the 7-14 values found in the service manuals no matter who has printed or authored them.

In the linked thread the remaining bits are fine---I'd agree with most of what's there, FWIW.

HTH

Old 04-14-2016, 10:37 PM
dbbldz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WorldCommander
There is info here on the 5.4 also:

Blownoutsparkplug.com Ford Spark Plug Thread Repair

Vastly different torque specs than the manual states. I have a V10 and used this service twice. Never any problem.

I didn't have a blown plug or repair. They changed plugs using the post '99 plug and their torque values.
Ok they're saying they have torqued plugs to 100 ft lbs? sounds like under torquing is more dangerous than over torquing when it comes to these plugs

Old 04-14-2016, 10:44 PM
dbbldz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JWA
Jim's link is good as far as it goes however in the time since new procedures have been adapted by most of us who DIY plugs...........

-Nothing but the Motorcraft plugs sped'd for the specific year and engine. The plug gap is pre-set at the factory, nothing more than a quick check right before installation to assure its not changed for unknown reasons (shipping mishandling etc.)

-Anti-seize a definite must IMHO, nickel-based because it withstands higher operating temperatures (as compared to aluminum-based). Despite the spec'd plug's platinum thread plating this single step greatly reduces potential issues next plug change.

-ANY good quality brand/type of torque wrench is more than sufficient, the preferred range for maximum accuracy 5-75 is best. (Digital is okay but that's not necessary at all, the "click" type just as good.)

-Torque the plugs to about 22 ft/lbs, disregard the 7-14 values found in the service manuals no matter who has printed or authored them.

In the linked thread the remaining bits are fine---I'd agree with most of what's there, FWIW.

HTH
Thanks! Yeah I went with Motorcraft since that seems to be the general recommendation. Had a heck of a time getting a bosch plug out of there from the previous owner... luckily didn't break... all the rest were Motorcraft and came right out. Maybe a coincidence?

Used a digital torque wrench and got em all somewhere between 25-28 ft/lbs

Ended up doing em dry after reading the that blownoutsparkplug.com faq and a few threads about the problem. with my luck my van will be Found On the Road Dead before I get to my next plug change

Old 04-16-2016, 05:44 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by dbbldz
Ok they're saying they have torqued plugs to 100 ft lbs? sounds like under torquing is more dangerous than over torquing when it comes to these plugs
I've not read the BlownOutSparkPlug FAQ's in a long time but I found this thread here to be VERY interesting: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ead-heads.html Its just one of those things that probably like BOSP's FAQ tends to debunk a lot of myths.

As long as your plugs are in, didn't cross thread etc and its running fine now you're good to go. Do keep in mind its a good practice changing them at 50K miles, again a bit in disagreement with manuals saying they can go 100K.

Good work BTW, thanks for the follow up and contribution here!