Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

E4OD Front Seal Question

Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 AM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
E4OD Front Seal Question

Hey guys and gals. I have a 95 f150 that Im throwing an engine into, and the truck has sat with no engine in it for the past year, with the torque convertor not seated into place.

Do the front seals on these transmissions dry out or wear out at all from sitting like that? Truck was in a shop in dry cold storage, and didnt leak before hand.

Id hate to replace it if it was required, but Id also hate not to replace it than it leaks haha.

Just wondering what the general consensus was regarding this.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I don't think it will dry out. On the other hand, that seal is a known weak point on the E4OD. There is an aftermarket seal made from a material called Viton that is MUCH better than the stock seal. I recommend changing it.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 PM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I don't think it will dry out. On the other hand, that seal is a known weak point on the E4OD. There is an aftermarket seal made from a material called Viton that is MUCH better than the stock seal. I recommend changing it.
Thank you sir, I will get one and change it.

Mark, would you also recommend changing the bushing as well, or just change it if necessary?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I'd change it, too. They are really cheap, and since you're already in there...

Old 04-11-2016, 03:27 PM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I'd change it, too. They are really cheap, and since you're already in there...

Sounds good man thank you, will order a kit off of ebay and replace it all, thanks very much for your input.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
since your there and the seal is pretty cheap.just replace it.there's no need to replace the bushing if it's not worn.the cost of the bushing is no issue but you need to remove the pump,split it,properly hone the pump bore out for the replacement bushing and insure you re-install the gears properly and make sure the pump is lined back up exactly again.it's something best left for those who like to learn new things and have the time to learn them or a trans shop.

if you try it,don't pry the pump out against the thin case,or you'll turn your trans case into a boat anchor.also don't let the parts fall out behind the pump or else you'll be very sorry.
in summary,if the bushing is ok.don't touch it.if you want it changed,take it to a trans shop and let them change it for you.it's nothing at all like simply picking the old seal out and tapping it in in just 30 seconds.it's very a technical job.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Briansshop
Elder User
Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.Briansshop has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
since your there and the seal is pretty cheap.just replace it.there's no need to replace the bushing if it's not worn.the cost of the bushing is no issue but you need to remove the pump,split it,properly hone the pump bore out for the replacement bushing and insure you re-install the gears properly and make sure the pump is lined back up exactly again.it's something best left for those who like to learn new things and have the time to learn them or a trans shop.

if you try it,don't pry the pump out against the thin case,or you'll turn your trans case into a boat anchor.also don't let the parts fall out behind the pump or else you'll be very sorry.
in summary,if the bushing is ok.don't touch it.if you want it changed,take it to a trans shop and let them change it for you.it's nothing at all like simply picking the old seal out and tapping it in in just 30 seconds.it's very a technical job.
Yes,x2. Good post/info.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:55 AM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
Ok thanks, Ill take that into consideration as well. I have the engine pulled from the truck, not the transmission, otherwise I would just take the tranny over to a shop and get it done.

I was under the impression that to replace the seal, one would have to pull the pump anyways, but im guessing thats not accurate? Guess Ill ahve to look into that a little more as well.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:16 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
no.you just pluck the seal out and tap another one in.a completely different job than replacing the bushing.they are close to each other yes,but the jobs to replace them are miles apart.