2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

We Own Work: My 2017 Super Duty Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:25 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
Base on the off topic turns this and other threads take from time to time, I think most of us would get along really well offline...

Old 07-29-2016, 06:30 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes sir! And you just made this thread hit 100 pages.. DING,DING!

Thanks Josh, Dan and everybody for contributing

Old 07-29-2016, 06:46 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I taught Electronics Engineering Technology at a junior college for 10 years (yeah, I am more than a dumb farmer. LOL) Talk about frustrating. I might have had 2 or 3 worthwhile students every semester- the rest just wanted me to give em an A for showing up..
I just dropped out of electronic engineering. couldn't recall all the algebra and was too difficult playing catch up.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:05 PM
archerseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UGA33
All I got of an XL interior.

Didn't get any seat time this week in a 6.2 except on the off-road course.
cool, thanks.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Bigdon68
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just sitting on the sidelines listening to all of the great input. Josh /Dan and everyone else-- keep up the great work.

Bigdon68

Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by LCR
I just dropped out of electronic engineering. couldn't recall all the algebra and was too difficult playing catch up.
I was wondering if your username stood for inductor, capacitor and resistor, now I know it does.
Yes unfortunately the Algebra keeps some good students out of electronics. One you finish the courses you never use it much as a technician except simple Ohm's law and Kirchoff's Law stuff in your head, it's just hard to teach electronics without math.
We teach you the theory, then have you do math problems to prove the theory is right, then lab experiments to see it in the real world.....

Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LCR
If you liked calculus, you might want to consider sticking it out for a while. Many excellent scientists didn't really enjoy or excel in the pre-calculus math.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:31 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
I was wondering if your username stood for inductor, capacitor and resistor, now I know it does.
Here I was thinking it stood for a Ruger revolver, lol.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 PM
archerseven
Senior User
I agree. Not only is America dumbing down as far as most of the younger guys not having any technical skills or common sense but when somebody needs a trailer backup system to tell them which way to turn the wheel to back up...
If they need that system they don't need a SD and probably not even a F150.

Not all of us younger folk are as such, in fact I mostly hear such complaints from people who also can't figure out how to answer their phone

That said, I also grew up in construction and got a degree in computering (technical term there.) so I might be a special case.

It gets a little old hearing people bitch about us "younger folk". I have had the pleasure of working almost exclusively with people of all ages who are dedicated and intelligent, willing and quick to pick up the basics of new skills and seek challenges. Regarding trailering: I've been pushing trailers around my whole life, and most of my dad's employees would ask me to get them out of any tight spots. A sampling of said employees doesn't show any correlation between age and trailer skill.

I think the ones who need the assisting technology tend to be those whose parents were successful, and as such they have always had money and never had to work around trailers, but have decided they should own a boat.

Still haven't talked to anyone who liked it, though. With the same technology they could have given the truck a remote control, which would be _AWESOME_ for things like hooking up trailers or dumping a load of mulch/gravel while dodging power lines and kids on tricycles not paying attention to what's around them.

Originally Posted by troverman
Archer,

Go to the build and price for the 2017. You can spec a radio without the 4.3" screen. It is basically a 1 or 2 line dot matrix display. The instrument panel is the 2.3" display on the most basic trucks. As in Josh's pic, you can certainly get the large radio screen in an XL.
Yeah, I saw that too, but wasn't sure whether or not to believe it. I'm going to try to build an in car computer as my next challenge, trying to figure out what my base is, hoping _not_ to have the screen. The F-150 base trucks I sat in all had the screen regardless of trim level so seems a bit surprising they'd build one without, though I hope it's accurate!

Got a bit long winded there, sorry.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by archerseven
Yeah, I saw that too, but wasn't sure whether or not to believe it. I'm going to try to build an in car computer as my next challenge, trying to figure out what my base is, hoping _not_ to have the screen. The F-150 base trucks I sat in all had the screen regardless of trim level so seems a bit surprising they'd build one without, though I hope it's accurate!
I think if you order a truck without power windows, you do indeed get a super basic AM/FM radio.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:21 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Originally Posted by troverman
Here I was thinking it stood for a Ruger revolver, lol.
Lance Cripple Racing- a motorcycle racing team I run in the CMRA here in Texas. Lance Cripple refers to when I picked up the rank Lance Corporal while in rehab with a few broken bones.

Originally Posted by 2009kr
If you liked calculus, you might want to consider sticking it out for a while. Many excellent scientists didn't really enjoy or excel in the pre-calculus math.
I loathe math in general, Since the oil layoff I'm finishing up some logistics certs and will explore the algebra again. I would really like to finish up engineering even if I go into something like industrial.

Yes unfortunately the Algebra keeps some good students out of electronics. One you finish the courses you never use it much as a technician except simple Ohm's law and Kirchoff's Law stuff in your head, it's just hard to teach electronics without math.
We teach you the theory, then have you do math problems to prove the theory is right, then lab experiments to see it in the real world.....
I was originally classed as aviation ordnance and electrician in the Marines before I got put in the logistics shop for a few years and electrical theory was easy enough for me to understand. It really is discouraging though with the dozens of engineers I've worked with who all say the math isn't really needed because computer programs do it all now, they just want you to understands the theories and show you can apply them purposefully in problem solving.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Any plans for Ford and Reese to develop a hitch to support the max towing with a 5th wheel? I've never seen trailers big enough to need 32K on a 5er but enough people keep asking I assume they are out there and now I'm curious.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Josh - what did you think of the 6.2 on the offroad course?

Dan - Does the Torqshift-G make it worth sticking with the 250 instead of the 350 if the 250 is enough truck? And I'm going to get the 6.2 regardless? (And thoughts on the -G in general..)

Old 07-29-2016, 08:51 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have seen some 26k fifth wheels (New Horizon, Augusta etc) and definitely wouldn't want to pull one with a hitch rated for "just" 26k. So maybe the 32k is for a sense of comfort?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I personally think it is related to the two piece shaft and driveline angles.. Either the center carrier bearing needs to move up/down or the tailshaft of the tranny needs to. That's my suspicion at any rate...
I had a bit of the take-off shudder when loaded but after I added air bags, that went almost totally away.
Originally Posted by MediumDan
The take off shudder while towing should be gone from what I recall. that is the shudder we did a lot of extensive testing on a few years ago with the shim changes and what not. The other shudder you speak of Randy, I'm not fully aware of. but again, most of that would go to the NVH guys.

Yup, I can see how changing pinion angle can help the driveline shudder on take-off. Unless Ford comes out with a TSB for the older trucks, we're going to be stuck with it unless we make the changes ourselves. Most dealers just shrug their shoulders and tell you they did not observe the problem.

Originally Posted by Rasalas
There can also be problems under torque with axle "wind up" where the torque tries to rotate the entire axle on the springs, and then the springs react and the axle snaps back to position and then the torque starts to pull it down again. Heavy trucks used to have a link from the frame to the top of the rear end to stop that wind up. The link had rubber bushings on each end and seemed to wear quickly (200K miles) and were affectionately known as "dog bones" due to their shape.
The SuperDuty Hop -
The 42 mph shudder would not involve axle wind-up / torque as it happens even unloaded when decelerating from a higher speed..
I think you may be addressing the acceleration from a dead stop shudder when loaded. My bags seemed to have taken care of literally all of it but a faint quiver.. My trailer is almost 19k and pin weight is 4910#

Quick Reply: We Own Work: My 2017 Super Duty Experience