6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My magical truck is back!! ☺

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:38 PM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My magical truck is back!! ☺

I lost my magical truck over the winter, but it was back this morning. 59 degrees, hit the reset on my MPG, set the cruise for the speed limit (55). When I got to work, none of that 17.5 or 18 MPG crap anymore!

Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,646 Likes on 1,648 Posts
Originally Posted by FatOldGuy
I lost my magical truck over the winter, but it was back this morning. 59 degrees, hit the reset on my MPG, set the cruise for the speed limit (55). When I got to work, none of that 17.5 or 18 MPG crap anymore!
I have gotten that with my dually for a 75 mile drive, then turned around and had to come back up hill, against the wind, and by the time I got home, it did one regen, and was right back in the 14 mpg range!😀😀😀

Old 03-09-2016, 08:26 PM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
I live in southern Illinois farm country... about as flat as Kansas around here. It was only about 20 miles to work, 15 or so to lunch and then 15 back. Then about 20 back home. So about 70 miles total... no interstate or anything and having to slow down to 35 for the little towns. Just a 2-lane highway.

Edit-- that pic was just to work.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,504 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Short trip resets are deceiving. Doing MPG should be done with 3 tanks and average it out. That's more real world mpg not the short feel good readings.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:43 AM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Yeah, I know how to get true MPG readings. That pic in no way represents my true longterm MPG. I was just kinda poking fun.

Just pointing out that it's starting to get consistently warmer in my parts, and the MPG is going up. Winter MPG sucks! No matter how short trip I took in the winter, I couldn't even see 20 MPG, much less exceed it.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:36 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My truck wouldn't get that if I pushed it with your truck. Never has...never will. Glad I didn't buy it for fuel mileage, but I sure wouldn't mind getting better.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:13 PM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 89LX306
My truck wouldn't get that if I pushed it with your truck.
Lol, that's a good one.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I did that the other day too and was able to keep it at around 20 mpg... But of course as soon as I got off the highway and on to the side streets it started dropping and after the next days drive I was back to the 14's.

Not quite that warm up here yet. low 40s in the day and mid 20's in the morning with frost all over it. MPG is climbing and as soon as the temps get warmer and the fuel switches over I go back up another 2 mpg.

FWIW, last summer I hit 23 mpg on a highway that was limited to 45 mph. But it doesn't represent mileage. That trip which was 275 miles of 'highway' averaged out to 17.5. Of course there is no such thing as a flat, smooth, straight highway or road here.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
lol wow your trucks suck just kidding mine gets 20 all day loaded with fuel tank and tools upstate NY all hills here's a picture about a month ago now at 12768 and getting better

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2016, 04:06 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
mine gets 20 all day
I was so glad to see this post. Magical trucks do exist out there.

Been awhile since I got to see an "all day" post. I know more will chime in here in a moment.

I was not granted a magical truck by the gods. 14-18 all day long in my case and that's empty, winter / summer. Have not re-set the meter in a year. Not sure what the point is of resetting for a hundred or so miles that did not contain hills, stops, regen, or local driving conditions. But I know some get 20+ all day long including every imaginable driving condition for the history of their trucks. Those are the real magical ones.

bruce...

Old 03-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
It's getting a little warmer so I am back to 14.5 - 15.0. At least according to the run I did this morning - started out at 14.4 which there was only 15 miles on the reset, now there is 65 and I am up to 14.7 - at one point hit 14.9.

I do get better MPG in the L48 and in the summer. This summer I will know for sure as I am driving to Florida and then back up to AK with a trailer.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:40 AM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
The reason I do short trip resets is for testing. If I know what my route to work, lunch, and home generally is, then I can more easily tell if something is wrong... or can test how some change had an effect on my mileage without having to drive 3 tank fulls of gas to get an idea. That's also why I use my cruise control set at the speed limit... I don't have to try to remember to keep my foot out of it.

I don't do this every single work day, but I do it the vast majority of the time. It just helps me know what is going on with my truck.

I'm a little off, but hey, it keeps me out of trouble, for the most part.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:43 AM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Today I got the best mileage ever!!

I didn't use a single drop of diesel.

Rode the Valkyrie today. Lol. A little chilly, but I've ridden my motorcycles in much worse.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
I was so glad to see this post. Magical trucks do exist out there.

Been awhile since I got to see an "all day" post. I know more will chime in here in a moment.

I was not granted a magical truck by the gods. 14-18 all day long in my case and that's empty, winter / summer. Have not re-set the meter in a year. Not sure what the point is of resetting for a hundred or so miles that did not contain hills, stops, regen, or local driving conditions. But I know some get 20+ all day long including every imaginable driving condition for the history of their trucks. Those are the real magical ones.

bruce...
Wow everything an argument around here LOL no my truck doesn't get 20 or 23 miles to the gallon when I'm hauling my dual wheel dump trailer it averages about 12 to 13 which is good for me considering the other truck did not get over 8 miles to the gallon hauling that trailer sometimes 5 or 6 . So I'll continue to drive my truck when not hauling a trailer averaging 21 to 20 mpg and you keep going 14 + 15 don't know what you're doing to get that kind of mileage ?? It's funny I've talked to a few people at the dealership 20mpg is the average for a 2016 , the only one I heard different was a young kid who had it jacked up to the sky with 37inch tires. My brother is picking one up Wednesday I'll let you know how he makes out same gears of course i am jealous of the color he got blue jeans looks awesome take care

Old 03-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Too many factors - all I know is that in anything I drive I'm not at the top of the list in MPG. If I wanted high MPG and no versatility I wouldn't have bought this truck.

Quick Reply: My magical truck is back!! ☺