Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 IDIt- new glow plugs... injectors next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 IDIt- new glow plugs... injectors next?

Hey guys, I have a 94 7.3 IDI turbo, that will only start with a little ether if it sits for an hour or more, then runs just fine apart from some white smoke for a few seconds once it's started.

I know this is probably a commonly repeated "no start, help!" thread, and I have tried to research but I figured it was time to get some personal help from you guys.

We have replaced the return lines and injector seals that were leaking fuel, that didnt fix it. Then we put all brand new Motorcraft glow plugs in, and that didnt fix it. I need help knowing what to try next. Before committing to new injectors, I want to make sure the GP system is all good to rule that out.

My glow plug relay (or solenoid, not sure what the proper designation is...) audibly clicks once when the key is turned on, and then more faintly clicks again in fifteen seconds or so, presumably turning off. Is that right? My mechanic buddy insists that it should click repeatedly as it turns on and off the glow plugs to regulate the heat, but from what I've read that would be a bad sign. If this is not what it is supposed to do, is the problem the relay, with the squiggly metal part and the solenoid, or the glow plug controller, in the cylendrical plastic tube?.. not sure which does what.

If the answer is none of the above, I guess I will be trying injectors next?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the layman's terms and incompetence, please be patient with me. I am just a kid with a big truck in a big world looking for some help! Any guidance or insight is appreciated

Old 03-07-2016, 06:36 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The controller will turn on and after 15 seconds will cycle on and off to keep the glow plugs to keep them warm. Check you glow plug harness they do get old and just fall apart at the connectors.The relay might be failing you can check with a meter and your "mechanic" buddy helping you it sounds like the relay is failing and should be an easy fix. An easy way to check if it is a glow plug problem is plug it in one night and in the morning if it flashes up and runs fine its glow plug issue, if it flashes up and dies very shortly after, its a leak down issue. You can also check the fuel filter one morning to see if it is full of diesel before you start.

Tonnns of threads of having this issue too

Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 PM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
Well, I can tell you right now that it would not start up at all in the morning, regardless of plugged in or not. That's why i was wondering if it was an injector issue.
I will check the fuel filter though, hadn't thought of that.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get a test light or voltmeter and verify you actually have power to the glow plugs when you turn the key on. Another possibility is that your starter isn't spinning the engine over fast enough.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A compression test might also be in order.
The thread near the top of the forum for the late style glow plug system tells how it's supposed to work, and how to test it.
The starter thread up there is also good. A lot of starting problems out there are due to a tired starter or cables...

Old 03-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Mizuez
Freshman User
I have an '89 F250 7.3 and in my case the truck sat for 10 years before I got it. I replaces some fuel lines and fuel filter, but the big thing the truck needed before it started and ran for me was replacing the injector caps. You can pick up a kit for around $50.

This may not be the fix you need because you say it runs fine once you get it fired up. Mine would struggle to stay running and would quit if you let off the throttle If I got it to fire in the first place.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
verify that your block heater works,, cycle the gp's a few times then touch one, it should be hot, if it is not, you have a bad connection or blown fuseible link read the stickys at the top of the forum to better understand how they work. good luck

Old 03-13-2016, 12:20 PM
540milotalon
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That truck should start easy without glowplugs if it is only sitting an hour or so. When my '89 was doing this it took a Inj. pump to make it quit. My sons '87 6.9 was doing some cutting off going down the road and not restarting till it cooled off. MANY people said. "Inj. pump" but this being different, I used an ole diesel dudes advice and swapped the fuel filter filled with Diesel "911" and then ran 10 gal. of hi sulfur "off road" - can't find it anymore - I guess what I'm thinking, IP problem either mild or serious.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
If it's hot and won't start, you pour cool water over the IP. If it starts up, then your IP is shot due to the tolerances involved in the head/rotor.

If it's cold and won't start(but starts fine hot), it's GPs/getting enough heat into the cylinder to ignite the fuel.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Haralabos Lukatos
New User
Hello how are you. 7.3 IDI turbo what is can be wrong. Engine idle fine but in accelaration keep cutt off.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Plugged fuel filter, or failing tank pickup most likely.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:48 PM
Haralabos Lukatos
New User
i am new in diesel trucks. Is my first diesel truck. The engine is sounds like tractor. Is can be somethink plugged? I try found mechanic in my area but is hard to find diesel mechanic. I cant afford take my truck to the dealer. when i buy the truck i take in my area. In one diesel mechanic is fixed one diesel leak. Is put new fuel filter and new oil. But never tell me what more my truck need. Is told me is go check my truck bumper to bumper tell me what my truck need. I buy used. But finally the mechanic never check. How i can check if the fuel filter is plugged or how i locate the tank pickup is locate inside the tank? I should switch to the front tank and see if continue the problem Is really weird. Is idle good but when i press the gas pedal is cutting off.