Sponsored by: Moser

Fordguy2100's Hoosier build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Fordguy2100's Hoosier build thread

Hey guys, finally got on a computer to start a build thread. It's going to be slow going for now. Wife is going through med school so financial responsibilities fall on me and money is tight for now. Anyway, here's the back story (sorry it got long lol):

I had been searching for a true Highboy ever since I was 15. They aren't easy to come by in Indiana unless they are rusted out or $10k+. Well finally got serious about a year ago, saved the tax return for when I found one. Welp on Saturday Jan 23 I found a truck in El Paso, TX. Texted/called the guy and after talking for a few days, and getting his word he'd hold the truck until I had a chance to see it, that Monday decided to book a flight to El Paso for that Thursday! Convinced a buddy of mine it would be a fun road trip so he came along too. Thursday morning had to leave for the airport at 4AM.... woke up at 3 puking my guts out... but i wasn't going to let that stop me from seeing my dream truck.... worst two flights of my life! LOL. Once we pulled into the parking lot to see the truck, any ill feeling went away. Gave it a once over, then like a 10th over, started it up, no issues, squeal, ticks, knocks or anything. Had a strong turn over. Had my buddy test drive it (never drove a stick before in my life so I wanted him to make sure everything transmission/clutch related seemed ok). He gave me the thumbs up and I was sold! Here are some pics of the truck before/during the transaction

We followed the guy back to his work to pick up the title, signed it over, handed over the cash and I received the keys to my favorite body style truck of all time. He didn't think I was actually driving it home when I first mentioned it so he was a little surprised when he asked how we were getting home Well my first time driving a stick was backing up a Highboy in an over crowded parking lot while someone was waiting for my spot.... I was a little nervous lol. Made it to the stop sign, killed it because I forgot which pedal my foot was on. Managed to merge on the highway to get to the hotel we'd be staying at. Picked up on driving the stick pretty easy. Parked in the back , hopped in the rental and drove to autozone. Picked up some tools I couldn't fly with and other items (that wednesday I received a coupon book from autozone; i know it was a sign!) anyway got back to the hotel, did an oil change in the parking lot, changed air filter, topped off coolant, fixed a burned out tail light bulb, tossed in an air freshener then went to fill it up with gas and fill the spare 5gal tank we bought too. Relaxed in El, Paso that night, hoping to feel better the next day.

Here I am with MY truck at the hotel

Friday the 29th we got on the road to home to Indiana!

Stopped after a few hours on the road, gas tank got low and we wanted to make sure everything was still good under the hood. Couldn't miss the photo op with the Texas mountains

After driving for FOREVER without seeing anything lol it finally got dark, one of the times we pulled over on the side of a back county highway...the stars were beautiful but the camera couldn't pick it up so instead heres a few night pictures of the truck

Made it to Wichita Falls when we decided that was enough driving for the day. Started at 9AM and pulled in around 10:30PM. Day 2 made it to OKC and hopped on Route 66! First stop was a place called POPS, wanted to eat there but they were crazy busy, instead tried some old brands of coke (yes Im from Indiana and any soft drink is a "coke") Also got my first two offers to buy the truck... made me feel good lol

Weather was 75 and sunny in January so windows down, bluetooth speaker turned up and cruised down Route 66. Stopped by the Ole Round Barn for a quick photo op

Next pic is from a gas station near the end of OK, got my 3rd offer to buy the truck here, guy was pretty cool, we talked about the truck for a few before heading on our way! He was jealous of our road trip with the Highboy

Well this is where it takes a bruised ego turn. Made it to STL about 3AM and decided we were both awake so lets just make the next stop home! Got about 2 hrs from home when all of a sudden got a burning smell and 2 seconds later the driver wheel bearing just let go and the entire wheel/hub went rolling past us at 4:30AM in the middle of fog while in the left lane! (Yes yes I know what a wheel bearing sounds like when going bad but old truck, cab wasn't sealed, music was up, engine/exhaust was loudish... just didnt hear it unforunately)

So I wanted to surprise the wife by pulling up when she woke up with my new truck but instead I had to wake her up at 6:30 to have her come rescue us. Found the tire as the tow truck was pulling up and caught a ride to the nearest garage. Wife picked us up around 9 and we headed home with our tails between our legs. Outer axle shaft was destroyed so off to find parts.... not easy to do but finally found a new one and had it shipped to the shop. Well they got it but somehow the U-joint just couldn't be made to fit. They tried making their own and everything... well after being super mad and hours of research, I found an inner axle shaft for sale too... had it amazon primed and 1 day shipping was only $8 so I splurged for that. Shop got the parts that following Friday Feb 5th. Monday got a call that everything was put back together, they had issues getting the correct bearing seals (part #s for my truck apparently werent the right ones. They test drove and was good to go. They also checked the passenger side wheel bearings and decided they needed replacing too. This was great news except I just left the state for work and would be gone for the next 2 weeks. Soooooo 2 LONG weeks later, my buddy drove me back on Monday the 15th I went to pick her up to finally come home!

By this time the weather had turned and it was COLD! Tossed on some flannel lined jeans, carhartt jacket and set off in 30 degree weather at 9PM with NO HEAT to get her home! It was cold, window started to get foggy, I got cold, but finally made it home around 11:30PM

So 1500 miles, 2.5 days of driving (2weeks from start to finish), Stupid Tax paid, and a road trip of a lifetime with a buddy and she was finally home and officially mine! Had a blast on the trip, I can now laugh about the accident (Im happy we are both ok and the truck didn't get wrecked) but still wish I had that money back in my pocket; you live and learn! Overall wouldn't trade the experience for anything!

PS For those of you who stuck with my long rambling, thank you and I hope you enjoyed the read! Its late, I'm on the road for work once again, bored listening to music so I decided to write everything down.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 08:23 AM
OLDBLUEF250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed your story , and glad you guys made it back from your road trip.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great story, I think we have all had one of those trips in us. Props for driving it all the way home. Truck looks great. Good luck with her..

Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 AM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
The story just adds to your lifelong goal of owning your dream truck. Great start to your build. What are your plans for it?

Old 03-06-2016, 07:41 PM
usuallybowtie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What part of Indiana you in?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:07 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by OLDBLUEF250
I enjoyed your story , and glad you guys made it back from your road trip.
Originally Posted by axidjw
Great story, I think we have all had one of those trips in us. Props for driving it all the way home. Truck looks great. Good luck with her..
Originally Posted by monkey-1
The story just adds to your lifelong goal of owning your dream truck. Great start to your build. What are your plans for it?
Thanks guys! My plan is to restore, lift with 37s and make it a daily driver at least from a reliability standpoint and drive it often! Thinking saddle blanket interior... Black maybe? Then probably going ford blue on the outside, haven't decided if I wanted to keep a two tone and add white or gray to it. Also undecided on rims, currently my back two are chrome wagon wheels and the front are just plain steel rims.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:08 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by usuallybowtie
What part of Indiana you in?
I'm from vanderburgh county but currently live just west of Indy for the next few years, plan is to get back to southern Indiana

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Bet ya needed some clean underwear after the wheel bearing incident, nice thread!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:12 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a good lookin truck. Nothing drives quite like them.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:18 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Haven't don't much to it lately. Been really busy, did get to meet grinnergetter, see his awesome trucks, and go pickin for parts a few weeks ago. Got some matching 33s from him as well so now I at least have matching rims, matching tire sizes, and 5 tires that hold air! Also got my historic license plate and title in the mail today!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Pictures didn't load on the last post for some reason

Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2016, 11:48 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome story. Something that will probably stick with you the rest of your life.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by co425
Awesome story. Something that will probably stick with you the rest of your life.
Thanks! This truck hopefully will never be leaving the family

Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Thanks to grinnergetters parts lot (trip 1 lol) I finally was able to replace this magnificent piece some would call a hood latch

Attached Images     
Old 04-06-2016, 11:46 AM
forango
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
good stuff! looks good in the garage

Quick Reply: Fordguy2100's Hoosier build thread