ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM) Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:22 AM
FordPowerStroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM) Recall

Hi,

My wife has a 2013 F-150 and just started having Sync problems including it just going black, locking up, a window popping up that says the flash card isn't inserted when it is and the GPS being miles off. We took it to the Ford dealer where we bought it and so far they can't reproduce the problem. Their latest theory is that it is because of her iPhone being plugged-in although she has been running an iPhone with it since she bought it brand new and her current phone isn't at all new. The dealer basically stated that they need to do anything they can not to replace the APIM module because it will cost the company "millions", his words not mine.

We are afraid that Ford is going to punt it back to us, blame the iPhone and call it a day while we still continue to have problems. We have already had it in twice with no resolution so far.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Coupleofords
Senior User
"Recall"?

I understand that you're having problems, but a "recall"?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:54 AM
FordPowerStroke
Senior User
Originally Posted by Coupleofords
"Recall"?

I understand that you're having problems, but a "recall"?
Well, when you search for "recalls" and your VIN this is what pops up. Call it what you wish:

Field Service Actions
2013 Ford F-150
Last updated 02/22/2016

We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.

VIN: XXX
FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM)
Field Service Action Number: 12M02

Be advised that this system tracks Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Customer Relationship Center.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:00 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by FordPowerStroke
Hi,

My wife has a 2013 F-150 and just started having Sync problems including it just going black, locking up, a window popping up that says the flash card isn't inserted when it is and the GPS being miles off. We took it to the Ford dealer where we bought it and so far they can't reproduce the problem. Their latest theory is that it is because of her iPhone being plugged-in although she has been running an iPhone with it since she bought it brand new and her current phone isn't at all new. The dealer basically stated that they need to do anything they can not to replace the APIM module because it will cost the company "millions", his words not mine.

We are afraid that Ford is going to punt it back to us, blame the iPhone and call it a day while we still continue to have problems. We have already had it in twice with no resolution so far.

Hi FordPowerStroke,

I'm sorry to hear of all the issues your wife is having. iPhones have been known to cause these types of issues when there are emoticons or other special characters are in any of the phonebook contact information. Here's a link with more information:

Phonebook in your SYNC® with MyFord Touch® | SYNC Help | Official Ford Owner Site

Also, if she's installed any new apps recently on her phone, I suggest going through and deleting them one-by-one to ensure they aren't causing this issue. If neither of those corrects the issue, you can then let your dealership know you've ruled out the iPhone. Keep me posted on this!

The Field Service Action 12M02 (A.K.A. MyFord Touch extended warranty), is basically just a reminder that you have a five year extended warranty on the brains of MyFord Touch. It is not a recall.

Rebecca

Old 03-29-2018, 12:13 PM
leptoid
New User
Exclamation

Hi,

I've had your problem. It happens around once or twice a year until I fix it. There were a couple issues.

Issue #1 : My truck was leaking water through the 3rd brake light and it got all in my wiring. Ford where I live knew what the issue was and just didn't fix/replace it until the original regional manager got fired and a new one was hired. Once i spoke to that person, it got replaced.

Issue #2 : Did you know water comes up through the floor? Look under those plastic step plates on each side of your truck. There are rubber plugs but they apparently don't work very well... the water goes all over your wiring there too, and has no way to escape.

Issue #3 : So this is the real issue... iPhone cable going bad. This cable, which will seem to work fine in everything will make the eletronics system go haywire, from GPS malfunctions, SYNC freezing/crashing, and who can forget that it will even mess with your Fuel gauge. I have never questioned the amount of fuel I had as I did when my cable was dying. I replaced the cable and everything went back to normal. My truck eats those cables 1-2 times a year. I updated my Sync with that 3.10 version that is floating around on the internet and bought a higher quality cable, and everything has been fine for a bit.[/SPOILER]

So when the electronics act weird, try buying a new iPhone cable. Sounds dumb, I know. Many things wrong with my truck have met that description.

Also, I know this post is old... really old, but I figured if I said what I found does this, maybe it would help someone.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM
leptoid
New User
Exclamation

Hi,

I've had your problem. It happens around once or twice a year until I fix it. There were a couple issues.

Issue #1 : My truck was leaking water through the 3rd brake light and it got all in my wiring. Ford where I live knew what the issue was and just didn't fix/replace it until the original regional manager got fired and a new one was hired. Once i spoke to that person, it got replaced.

Issue #2 : Did you know water comes up through the floor? Look under those plastic step plates on each side of your truck. There are rubber plugs but they apparently don't work very well... the water goes all over your wiring there too, and has no way to escape.

Issue #3 : So this is the real issue... iPhone cable going bad. This cable, which will seem to work fine in everything will make the eletronics system go haywire, from GPS malfunctions, SYNC freezing/crashing, and who can forget that it will even mess with your Fuel gauge. I have never questioned the amount of fuel I had as I did when my cable was dying. I replaced the cable and everything went back to normal. My truck eats those cables 1-2 times a year. I updated my Sync with that 3.10 version that is floating around on the internet and bought a higher quality cable, and everything has been fine for a bit.[/SPOILER]

So when the electronics act weird, try buying a new iPhone cable. Sounds dumb, I know. Many things wrong with my truck have met that description.

Also, I know this post is old... really old, but I figured if I said what I found does this, maybe it would help someone.