Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Need to give credit to Justin RD Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:13 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need to give credit to Justin RD Performance

This weekend I changed the injectors, which I felt were going bad. Ordered just the nozzles from Justin, tried to save on shipment, got bit in the *** by the customs and tax but the result is perfect. Took me a day to assemble the injectors as I did not have many shims, so changing shims, springs over and over to get to 125-130 bars which is 1820-1880 psi. The truck runs sooooo smooth, starts like a gasser, and NO SMOKE what so ever. Better throtle response, better torque down low. I strongly recomend anybody with smoke issues to check the injectors, as mine were toast, none even attemp to spray a pattern, just dripping and straight shot of diesel from 1400 psi. Even then the truck started fine, but smoked. Smoked black going up hill, now just a slight barely noticeable haze under wot. I am sure the mileage will be better, as I wasted a lot of fuel badly burned out the tail pipe.

Not worth to bother with just the nozzles, 275 bucks for complete injectors with the old cores sent in is the best investment u can do to your truck. Thank you Justin for producing parts for our trucks!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you go with stock-replacement or stage1 injector nozzles?

And yes, any future injector/nozzle purchases I do will be from him.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
The odd thing is, I thought it ran really well when I drove it here in the states. The timing was off but it ran smooth and clean and got mpg that would make most owners jealous. So either it was doing really well in spite of the lousy injectors, or else the injectors went south really fast after you got it to Europe. I was under the impression that injector failure was more gradual than that. Either way, I'm glad you got it resolved.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Did you go with stock-replacement or stage1 injector nozzles?

And yes, any future injector/nozzle purchases I do will be from him.
I went the stock route, Europe is more into emissions, I want as less smoke as possible. I do not want race hp, just the reliable rig. The next is the IP 90cc pump, still deciding if 90 or 110.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 AM
Romel77
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Ford F834
The odd thing is, I thought it ran really well when I drove it here in the states. The timing was off but it ran smooth and clean and got mpg that would make most owners jealous. So either it was doing really well in spite of the lousy injectors, or else the injectors went south really fast after you got it to Europe. I was under the impression that injector failure was more gradual than that. Either way, I'm glad you got it resolved.
I think Jonathan that the injectors were about to go even in the states, it smoked on start up and warming up.. Now as clean as gasser. I was amazed how bad the injectors were and the truck still ran ok, I doubt there are many engines that survive spiting stream of diesel in.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
I'm pretty sure that the fuel in the EU is different than the US fuel. They are both "Diesel", but I think the cetane numbers and such are different. This means that the timing should be different over there vs over here. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane...Typical_values )

Injector failure /should/ be slow, but I'm wondering if running it off-timed/smokey caused some of the injectors to coke up with carbon, and thus not seal correctly, making the problem even worse.

Sure, the pop pressure would still be low(er), but that wouldn't be a problem with proper timing compensation.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Romel77
I went the stock route, Europe is more into emissions, I want as less smoke as possible. I do not want race hp, just the reliable rig. The next is the IP 90cc pump, still deciding if 90 or 110.
If you are going turbo(I think you are, right?), I'd look into getting a 110, and installing one of these: https://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDi...5-a3a12867ecce
You can then adjust it for little to no smoke, without sacrificing power at the high end.

Even here in the US, I'll be going for one -- as it is now, I have to be really light with my foot in the lower revs when I don't have turbo boost available. I can't just floor it under about 2200RPM.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
If you are going turbo(I think you are, right?), I'd look into getting a 110, and installing one of these: https://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDi...5-a3a12867ecce
You can then adjust it for little to no smoke, without sacrificing power at the high end.
Where do you mount this sucker on the pump? We get emission restrictions in the cities, basicaly no gasser under 1998 and diesel under 2000 can enter the city center since the 2017. However antique cars are exempt.
I can't just floor it under about 2200RPM. Well I do not get that up the rews, I am shifting around 2000rpm.
Sidewinder still in the box in my garage.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:56 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even here in the US, I'll be going for one -- as it is now, I have to be really light with my foot in the lower revs when I don't have turbo boost available. I can't just floor it under about 2200RPM.
Wish they werent so spendy, i kinda want one too. Wasnt sure if it would work with a 110 or not.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Romel77
Where do you mount this sucker on the pump? We get emission restrictions in the cities, basicaly no gasser under 1998 and diesel under 2000 can enter the city center since the 2017. However antique cars are exempt.
I can't just floor it under about 2200RPM. Well I do not get that up the rews, I am shifting around 2000rpm.
Sidewinder still in the box in my garage.
The Hypermax puff limiter replaces the top cover on the IP. The only picture I could find of one installed on a pump is a very tiny thumbnail on Conrstoga Diesel. Mel is a Hypermax dealer and offers them on his pumps:
fuel injection injection pump injection pump rebuilding injection pump repair, Conestoga Diesel Injection Fuel Injection and Turbocharger Rebuilding. The Moose Pump people! Willow Street, PA Ford

I think 110cc is way too much fuel for the Sudewinder TE06H... or perhaps more correctly the TE06H is way too little turbo

Old 02-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Yeah, it'll work on a 110. It simply pushes against the metering valve limiting max fuel, kind of like the "torque screw" did.

As for it being too big... eh, slightly. But the TE06H can use at least 100CCs of the 110CC pump. Once I got mine adjusted correctly, I'm pushing 22 PSI of boost out of it; with a stock pump I pushed perhaps 12. I figure you can always limit the fuel(a 110 CC is a DB2 through-and-through, just with some tweaks) if you need to. Or just learn to use your right foot appropriately.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
I guess i wasnt so concerned about it working on a 110 pump, as i was if it would work correctly with the extra boost that would come with it 15psi vs. 30 for instance. No idea how theyre designed, i assume just a spring loaded diaphragm, that like you say, just pushes on the metering valve to limit fuel to a certain extent.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
I looked at the plans(CARB requires a bunch of documentation, and google found it), and yes, it's just a spring and diaphram. And it's all adjustable; you have to adjust it normally till you have it working properly. With a 110, same deal - adjust until you have little smoke while still getting full power under boost. Worst case, you might need to use a different spring, but probably not.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Worst case, you might need to use a different spring, but probably not.
Thats what i was thinking.

Have you used one? I dont want to limit power, but being able to make it so it doesnt roal coal, or even a failsafe for EGTs to an extent if someone other than me was driving it.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Thats what i was thinking.

Have you used one? I dont want to limit power, but being able to make it so it doesnt roal coal, or even a failsafe for EGTs to an extent if someone other than me was driving it.
No, I haven't got one yet. I need either $300 for one, or a bunch of machine time to make a copy(I found a scale drawing of it I can reverse engineer).

I don't have either right now.

Quick Reply: Need to give credit to Justin RD Performance