2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

No ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:57 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 432 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
To make a turbo motor "as reliable" all you have to do is make the turbos better than the motor. Sure there are more stresses on the internals, but we've long gotten past the point of motors breaking internally on a regular basis. The concern for turbos is the turbo itself. I agree that if it was a problem, we'd be hearing about it already. Not sure why there is a unwillingness for some folks to believe a single moving part device can't be made ultra reliable.
For some reason, turbos get negative opinions on gassers, but turbocharged diesels will last forever! I don't understand the two-facedness of some people in that regard.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:24 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
The first two sentences are facts, pretty indisputable. That last one is conjecture, but it does seem to be pretty commonly held opinion.

My opinion is that IF the ecoboost is somehow less durable, it must be well past 200k miles, or we'd know a lot more about it now. AND, if that's the trade off, I'll STILL choose it.

That being said, I don't think it's true that the ecoboost is less durable than V8 and V10 options it's replaced and replacing. Hell, talk about complexity, fewer cylinders means a lot fewer moving parts to wear out.
Very good points. I probably should have been more clear about reliability. I have no question about reliability in a 150 or even pickup 2/350 for that matter. The isn't much difference in gvw or gcwr in many cases to make a huge difference in performance. My real concern is in a chassis cab truck weighing 12-15,000# unloaded and then adding 10-20,000# towing. This is a place the v10 is commonly used. Can the current EB hold up to those stresses? I don't know

Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by nojoke327
Very good points. I probably should have been more clear about reliability. I have no question about reliability in a 150 or even pickup 2/350 for that matter. The isn't much difference in gvw or gcwr in many cases to make a huge difference in performance. My real concern is in a chassis cab truck weighing 12-15,000# unloaded and then adding 10-20,000# towing. This is a place the v10 is commonly used. Can the current EB hold up to those stresses? I don't know
Well, considering the max GCWR of the chassis cabs with the V10 is 26k (Linky), I don't think you have to worry about the upper ranges of your numbers there.

In the SD pickups, the max GCWR for the 6.2L is 22,800 (Linky), so a bit less than the CC trucks.

The max GCWR for the EB in the F150 is 17,100 (Linky.)

Also, it's not just the GCWR, but also the duty cycle that matters. That's really what keeps the 6.2L out of the larger CC trucks. I don't think you will see a V6 gas turbo in the chassis cabs, but I think (hope) it will show up in the F250 & F350 pickups. I think the next gen 3.5L will have a CGI block and will be up to the challenge in the F2/350 trucks.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM
alexleblanc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason I got the diesel over the 6.2 is that my previous Ecoboost made every other gasser option feel gutless down low. Anybody who's owned one would know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by nojoke327
Unfortunately the v10 has become obsolete. A turbo 6 can make more hp and tq, with a flatter tq curve, all while getting double the mpg empty and slightly better loaded. I don't believe a turbo 6 will last as long or be as cheap to maintain if out under the same stresses as a v10 can handle but I don't think the technology is far off at all.
The V10 is not obsolete and is available today for the SD's. Don't disagree with the v6 information, but it is not available for the SD's today. Had a V10 for 16 years with no issues and averaged about 15 mpg highway not towing. Still would have ordered that over the 6.2.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:34 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the ecoboost should at least be offered on the superduty, but don't replace the 6.2 with it as the base engine. make it an option. if the V10 was still avalable across the board, that is what i would buy though.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310
The V10 is not obsolete and is available today for the SD's.
It's available today only because the 6.2 isn't enough to replace it, and there's a perception issue with the EB in Class 4/5 and Class 6 medium duty line up. The 6.8 a dead engine, there's not a lot of R&D getting wasted on it, it's just lingering until a replacement is able to be fully deployed. Just like how the 6.0 clung on for three years in the E-series until 2010, when the diesel was dropped from the lineup entirely until the Transit series came online.

The EB is perceived to not be as reliable as a straight V8 gasser, not as durable as a diesel, and there's not a huge middle ground for a third engine in the commercial line up. Yet. For once a major company isn't rushing something to market in a critical segment, the current models might be average and somewhat bland but they're generally reliable and standing on the 6.8s almost 20 reputation, the diesel and transmissions are winning back market share. The EB will drop into the lineup as an incremental improvement when the 6.8 finally gets put out to pasture and not part of the current major overhaul.

2011 - 6.7L and 6 speed introduced
2016 - 6.7L debuts in F650, supplanting Cummins ISB
2017 - complete SD chassis overhaul
2018-2019? - EB rolls out into SD platform with 8/10 speed trans option
2020? - EB rolls out in the Class 4-5 segment

Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a good prediction

Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just want a 1000ft pound diesel stock

Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
I want a pony.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want a BMW R1200 GS Adventure

Old 02-17-2016, 07:27 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
For some reason, turbos get negative opinions on gassers, but turbocharged diesels will last forever! I don't understand the two-facedness of some people in that regard.
I had a guy at a campground asking me about my Ecoboost when they first came out in 2011. I briefly explained that it was a DI twin turbo. He replied that he could never trust an engine with a turbo on it. He was driving a Duramax. Here's your sighn.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
You hit the nail on the head. But I think your confused on where the bias lays for the most part.

I mean all you have to do is slap a turbo on a gas motor and it will have diesel power right? That seems to be the theme in the EB section.

The reason why you'll never see a the current EB motor from the F150 in a SD are as follows.

-A very few percentage of 150s spend their time grossly overloaded vs SD trucks tend to be overloaded most of their lives. Don't believe me, check out a construction site and tell me which trucks have the job boxes in them. Ford already knows this.

-Duty cycles are vastly different, not big enough oil sump and current cooling capability to keep the f150 gasser turbo cool enough with 30000 lbs of hay trailer in tow.

-Aluminum block see duty cycle.

-Fleet sales of SD trucks are much larger than current F150 and Ford will not risk their hard fought gains in this area since the re-launch of the SD lines in 99 by putting the current EB motor in it.

-Ford is also not going to rock the diesel boat either.

Do I think a turbo gas motor has a place in SD truck?

Possibly, but it won't look like any current offering.

Too many nuances that need to be ironed out like heat management.

For example more gas and more rpms equals more waste heat to deal with.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
You hit the nail on the head. But I think your confused on where the bias lays for the most part.

I mean all you have to do is slap a turbo on a gas motor and it will have diesel power right? That seems to be the theme in the EB section.
That's not it at all. The EB motors are built from the ground up with turbo charging in mind, and get stronger internals than the non-EB counterparts. I've heard many many folks complain that they don't want an EB because turbos are just unreliable.

Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
The reason why you'll never see a the current EB motor from the F150 in a SD are as follows.

-A very few percentage of 150s spend their time grossly overloaded vs SD trucks tend to be overloaded most of their lives. Don't believe me, check out a construction site and tell me which trucks have the job boxes in them. Ford already knows this.

-Duty cycles are vastly different, not big enough oil sump and current cooling capability to keep the f150 gasser turbo cool enough with 30000 lbs of hay trailer in tow.

-Aluminum block see duty cycle.

-Fleet sales of SD trucks are much larger than current F150 and Ford will not risk their hard fought gains in this area since the re-launch of the SD lines in 99 by putting the current EB motor in it.

-Ford is also not going to rock the diesel boat either.

Do I think a turbo gas motor has a place in SD truck?

Possibly, but it won't look like any current offering.

Too many nuances that need to be ironed out like heat management.

For example more gas and more rpms equals more waste heat to deal with.
I agree with many of those points. That's why I don't think the current EB will make it in the Super Duty, but the next version will. The 3.5L coming in the Raptor is an all-new engine (it just happens to have the same displacement) which I'm sure will be built to handle the rigors needed in a Super Duty truck, and will likely have a CGI block (just like the 6.7L diesel). It won't be available in an F450 hauling 30k lbs, but the F2/350 hauling 10-12k lbs. There is a tremendous market for F250 trucks hauling in that range. The main question I have is whether Ford is willing to sacrifice some diesel sales to sell the EB. That, I think, is the real kicker.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I worked in a steel mill for years. All our trucks were over loaded & beat to crap. They trucks pretty much stayed in the mill or very close by. It was very rare you would get a chance to go over 30 mph. They didn't need much of an engine. Way back in the 80's they were all inline 6. I have a friend who works in the parks department. He said there trucks idle all day long, they drive slow, the most they tow is a lawn mower or blinking arrow. Many of the trucks are V10's & they could probably do the job with a 3.7L V6.

Quick Reply: No ecoboost