2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

No ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
I can't tell if we've gotten derailed, or if this topic was always so scattered, but here's my nearly relevant thoughts.
1) There is a 2nd Generation EcoBoost motor coming for the raptor.
2) The EcoBoost has been selling really well in the F150's, better than most armchair quaterbacks predicted.
3) While many Super Duty trucks do get overloaded, beaten and generally abused, I don't think the engine is the weak link in that equation, nor do I think this is a primary concern for Ford Motor Corp. Suspension and brakes are much more critical.
4) If Ford thinks it can make more money by offering a version of the EcoBoost in the Super Duty trucks, they will find a way to do it.
5) I like putting things in list form.

Have a great day everyone.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I can't tell if we've gotten derailed, or if this topic was always so scattered, but here's my nearly relevant thoughts.
1) There is a 2nd Generation EcoBoost motor coming for the raptor.
2) The EcoBoost has been selling really well in the F150's, better than most armchair quaterbacks predicted.
3) While many Super Duty trucks do get overloaded, beaten and generally abused, I don't think the engine is the weak link in that equation, nor do I think this is a primary concern for Ford Motor Corp. Suspension and brakes are much more critical.
4) If Ford thinks it can make more money by offering a version of the EcoBoost in the Super Duty trucks, they will find a way to do it.
5) I like putting things in list form.

Have a great day everyone.
I think that #4 is the holdup. An Eco-boost with any significant improvement over the 6.2 would eat heavily into the 6.7 sales. I do not see them bringing out an Eco unless the competition prompts them to. I hope I am wrong though. A single rear wheel F-350 3.5 Eco would be perfect for my needs.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone ever actually seen numbers on profits for the 6.7? I haven't personally, but I always find it interesting that folks simply seem to assume the 6.7 is some profit engine. How much of the $7k invoice is cost over the gas model? They don't offer any fleet incentives for taking the diesel, and at the dealer level we don't make more for diesels vs any other option by percentage (and non if you are going as an offset from invoice). I think Ford is more interested in selling lots of trucks than making the 6.7 a major profit center. After all, we are the only company in the industry even offering a gas motor in the medium duty trucks, why would Ford do that if it's stealing profit from the 6.7 models and there is no president to offer it?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:23 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 429 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Has anyone ever actually seen numbers on profits for the 6.7? I haven't personally, but I always find it interesting that folks simply seem to assume the 6.7 is some profit engine. How much of the $7k invoice is cost over the gas model? They don't offer any fleet incentives for taking the diesel, and at the dealer level we don't make more for diesels vs any other option by percentage (and non if you are going as an offset from invoice). I think Ford is more interested in selling lots of trucks than making the 6.7 a major profit center. After all, we are the only company in the industry even offering a gas motor in the medium duty trucks, why would Ford do that if it's stealing profit from the 6.7 models and there is no president to offer it?
I think it's just on % alone. If Ford makes 10% on each truck (just picking a number here), if the MSRP is $8k higher, then they made an additional $800 on that truck.

That doesn't include the amortization costs. The more they build, the more they make per engine due to fixed costs. And, since the 6.7L is only offered in F2-750 trucks, the more they can sell, the better.

The reason the gasser is offered in the MD trucks is because many customers were looking for that non-diesel alternative due to the additional costs of running today's emissions-compliant diesels. That's exactly why I think we will see the EB show up in the Super Duty.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:47 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I hope the EB does show up in the F250, I for one would put that truck on my short list.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:22 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
When a buyer purchases a new truck, it is around a $8500(?) upgrade. So there alone is $1500. If invoice cost is $7000, it simply seems that it wouldn't cost Ford at the factory an additional $7000 to produce the 6.7 over a 6.2 or 5.0. Maybe it does and the main profits are mostly had at the MSRP end of the deal though. Secondly, many companies want to run SD's in their fleet but want the reliability of Gas. I have seen fleets and companies switch to gas because it is ultimately less expensive to keep them on the road. If Ford didn't offer gas, they could loose buyers who have had Ford diesel trucks before, and don't want one again(I've heard that). Or more likely, they want to keep all buyers happy by offering both. I have also been told at my dealer that it is Ford's big U-Haul buyer that demands the V10 be available. Maybe this is the main reason.....

Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcbeevee
I think that #4 is the holdup. An Eco-boost with any significant improvement over the 6.2 would eat heavily into the 6.7 sales. I do not see them bringing out an Eco unless the competition prompts them to. I hope I am wrong though. A single rear wheel F-350 3.5 Eco would be perfect for my needs.
I have emailed Ford through the help of this forum about my experiences with the 3.5EB and how I would really like to see it in a F250. Maybe they need to hear more of that....

Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will preach the ecoboost to anyone that will listen but in a superduty? Na! I would like the v10 to be an option as I would jump all over that but it never will cause a lot would and diesel sales would plummet.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
I was referring to the medium trucks (650/750), where the entire segment has only one gas offering, Fords. Obviously the light SD trucks need gas offerings. I tell just about everyone to not consider the diesel, most folks simply don't need it. Overall I'm not saying there isn't profit for Ford on the diesels, but I see folks post all the time about "cutting into the 6.7 sales" as justification, but have never seen the evidence on it, though the percentage aspect is likely correct. I still think for would rather sell 2 gas trucks rather than one diesel.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM
MadWolf
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even with TTs, there still must be a connection between displacement and workload. For example, in the new F-150s, they push the EB3.5 as the top engine, but it's only the 5.0 that gets the snow plow prep button. I feel like that's a hint.. Like saying "if you're really going to abuse this thing, we'd rather you do it with the bigger displacement engine."

Old 02-18-2016, 03:50 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 429 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by MadWolf
Even with TTs, there still must be a connection between displacement and workload. For example, in the new F-150s, they push the EB3.5 as the top engine, but it's only the 5.0 that gets the snow plow prep button. I feel like that's a hint.. Like saying "if you're really going to abuse this thing, we'd rather you do it with the bigger displacement engine."
There are two reasons for the availability of the plow package on the 5.0 only:
  • The 5.0 is actually lighter than the 3.5 EB, and the EPS will only take so much weight
  • The plow would block the intake for the intercooler that is so important to the EB engines

The second item on the list is the most important and the real kicker. It has nothing to do with displacement.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:03 PM
MadWolf
Tuned
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
There are two reasons for the availability of the plow package on the 5.0 only:
  • The 5.0 is actually lighter than the 3.5 EB, and the EPS will only take so much weight
  • The plow would block the intake for the intercooler that is so important to the EB engines
The second item on the list is the most important and the real kicker. It has nothing to do with displacement.
Very interesting about the intercooler. The weight difference is only 5lbs though(5.0=444lbs) (eb=449). And Your saying the plow would sit so close that it would actually block off the intercooler??? That's weird. So no plowing, or front mounts for EBs?? The 6.7 has an FMIC, doesn't it? That works fine with a plow.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
It took a few years just to be able to move the license plate bracket back out to the middle, a plow would certainly block some inter-cooler flow.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:27 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
I was referring to the medium trucks (650/750), where the entire segment has only one gas offering, Fords.
Yes 650/750 is what I have been told and read it in other forums about U-Hauls request/demand for the V10 in these trucks. I have read the V10 has helped jump sales in the MedDuty market.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:30 PM
MadWolf
Tuned
It took a few years just to be able to move the license plate bracket back out to the middle, a plow would certainly block some inter-cooler flow.

Hey! I think this solves the original debate! That's why there's no EB in the SD, it's the intercooler! lol

Quick Reply: No ecoboost