Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Dent Side on the Interstate

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:42 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
The aerodynamic efficiency and coefficient of drag (Cd) of these trucks are horrible.

They're not as aerodynamic as a barn door..... Rather, they're as aerodynamic as the entire barn.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
The aerodynamic efficiency and coefficient of drag (Cd) of these trucks are horrible.

They're not as aerodynamic as a barn door..... Rather, they're as aerodynamic as the entire barn.
If you consider a Quonset hut a barn, that's another ballgame entirely. They're pretty slick.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I really agree with looking into getting it hauled home. Where's it coming from.? I know guys running flatbeds...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer some questions, I'm really wanting to drive it home. With fuel prices the way they are, Ill be saving money (although that's not the reason I'm wanting to). I love traveling. Iv never been further west than Missouri, so this will be a real eye opening trip.

Iv decided my best bet is to just slow down. Itd be a pain trying to get the tires there, then get them mounted, and yada yada... Besides, the reason I'm going is for the trip!

For reference, "a good ways" is 2200 miles. One way. You only live once right?

The previous owner also rebuild the engine and trans. It shouldn't be due for a rebuild anytime soon but after 2200 miles at 3400 rpm, it might be lol

Old 02-09-2016, 10:03 PM
XSoph
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I certainly enjoyed my road trip bringing my dent home. I do wish I had put aside more than a weekend for the trip. Driving all night in the rain with notional brakes will leave you tired and puckered all at once. I also paid my brother in law's fuel to follow in his diesel hatch back loaded full of tools, and jack stands. Don't travel alone if you have the option.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 PM
pat67shorty
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that there are several mountain passes between you and me and the west is in the middle of snow season..

Old 02-09-2016, 11:13 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I assume that your potential truck is a 2wd. Then you only really need two taller tires.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pat67shorty
One thing to keep in mind is that there are several mountain passes between you and me and the west is in the middle of snow season..
Very true and some of those mountain passes can be a challenge for a 4x4 given the right conditions.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:02 AM
ShaneNP123
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I say go for it, I dream about someday flying South and driving an old rig home into Canada.

IMO breakdowns, roadside fixes, living out of said vehicle, eating nothing but junk food for a week, seeing the scenery etc is all part of the fun. Just plan your route and be prepared

Old 02-10-2016, 07:39 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Hey guys. I am very interested in buying a F-350 off a guy who lives a good distance away. I am still talking with the guy making sure the trucks up to snuff for the drive (which I'm sure it is... hes on FTE). If the truck checks out, the plan is to fly out and drive it home. Theres just one issue: the truck running gear wasn't made for modern day speed limits. Its a 390, C6, with 4.10 gears. Have ya cringed yet? 4.10 gears are fairly deep, but nothing a gasser cant handle. But add into effect the 70 mph speed limit of an interstate plus the 1:1 ratio of a C6... that's 3,444 rpm. Screaming.

Theres many things I can do to make this truck more travel friendly... once I get it home. But my options are slim where it sits. My biggest question is: is that too high RPM for a big block over a long distance? I'm still kicking around ideas about what to do to get it home but my options require a ton of work(tranny swap, gear swap, gear vendors)

I would say drive slow home or put it on a trailer that you can rent from uhaul.

However, if you are going to drive it on interstate more then common streets when you get it home. I have driven my 73 with a c4 and it scream at 3600 rpm on the interstate and I have 31" tires. I would invest in a more up to date transmission. A mechanical AOD or a even better 4r70W transmission which is what I am going to do with my dent. Here in GA, where I live, you have to use interstate for pretty much everything.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 AM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by axelgawn
I would say drive slow home or put it on a trailer that you can rent from uhaul.

However, if you are going to drive it on interstate more then common streets when you get it home. I have driven my 73 with a c4 and it scream at 3600 rpm on the interstate and I have 31" tires. I would invest in a more up to date transmission. A mechanical AOD or a even better 4r70W transmission which is what I am going to do with my dent. Here in GA, where I live, you have to use interstate for pretty much everything.
Uhaul wouldn't let me pull a full size 70s ford pickup on a dolly or hauler. Could tell them a different rig like a ford ranger and load it up out of sight. Remember to disconnect driveshaft if towing an automatic rear wheel drive on a dolly. Or if 4 wheel drive put t-case in neutral.

I don't know where you are going but some places in the west have 80 mph speed limits. Just take it easy at 55 to 65 and watch your back.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by pat67shorty
Hey! Theres the owner! Lol

I "could" go get it in a different rig and tow it home but of course fuel costs will double and itll take me a full week of driving. Airfares are extremely reasonable to fly out (half the cost of fuel)

My other concern about the trip is, like you mentioned, mountain passes in the dead of winter. Im going to try to check the weather between here nd there before we hit the road. Good thing its got a posi!

And yea, the plan is to swap in some sort of OD when I get home. Probably an AOD

Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 AM
smg65
New User
Go for it

If it makes you feel any better, I bought my '75 highboy from a guy in Durango CO sight unseen in the middle of Jan. then drove it home to L.A. Went slow and it turned out fine. Glad I did it.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:03 PM
7Ford6
Senior User
Never again, I have driven around this country more times than I can count. All 50 states, + internationally.. In the beginning I did it without cruise control. Mark my words, Your gonna feel it creep up on you over time, I even went as far as trying to place a brick or 2 on the go pedal to relieve the pain and cramping I got from trying to hold it steady... Never the less, I have added aftermarket cruise or bought vehicles that had it ever since..

I have 4.10 gears in my 390/c6 truck with 35 inch tall tires, rpms are respectable in this configuration at interstate speed.. since you have not shared if it's 2 wheel drive or 4x4 or size tire currently on it, advice is nill beyond what others have said.. besides you can pick truck up, go have 2 taller tires installed anywhere.. This country is so homogenized now, Same thing in your home town will be in every home town..

Old 02-12-2016, 03:08 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
2wd and 245/75R16

Quick Reply: Dent Side on the Interstate