Anyone ever gone from solid to the TTB ? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Anyone ever gone from solid to the TTB ?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:22 AM
wa-sleeper
Junior User
wa-sleeper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone ever gone from solid to the TTB ?

I tried to look up to see if its been done but all I found was peoe going from the TTB to the solid for rock crawling and other things. I'm not going that route with mine. I want to make my truck a Baja inspired, if Ford built the raptor in the 70s type truck. So I was wondering if a f150 or bronco TTB was able to swap over. I don't mind having to weld and make brackets it I would like to see some builds if its been done.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
For high speed offroad trucks and prerunners, a TTB would be the next best thing to having full IFS (and 4x4). A TTB however has alignment issues with large tires.

A straight axle, in my opinion, is better for rock crawling.. less moving parts and leverage from one tire can induce bite in the other when encountering obstacles at a slower, more controlled speed. However, it is still a matter of driver skill in choosing the right line, speed, and throttle action.

A TTB swap into a Dent is alot of work for not much action. I'd look into rebodying a TTB truck.. you'd be that much further ahead.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:53 AM
wa-sleeper
Junior User
wa-sleeper is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah i dont want to run over a 33'' tire. and i dont plan on any crawling the trucks in awesome shape body is straight and rust free and i dont want to mess it up i just want a nice truck i can take out in the snow and to the beach and have some fun. take up camping and i like the look and the idea of the TTB swap.
but i do like the thought of swapping a dent body onto a ttb chassis.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
jbehuniak is starting off with a positive reputation.
TTB like D50? There are people who mud race with that front end. The issue that I have seen with lifted D50 I-beam front ends is frame fatigue/ cracks. It rides nice but solid axle swaps are inherently much stronger

Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 PM
ShaneNP123
Elder User
ShaneNP123 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ShaneNP123 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What are the specs on the truck? is it 4x4 or 4x2? If it's a 2 wheeler, look at the autofab lifts and make a go-fast truck with a good locker in the rear