1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Installed all new CAC boots and now the truck runs horrible? ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:09 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Installed all new CAC boots and now the truck runs horrible? ?

Got the complete boot kit from riff raff, with plenum inserts and new clamps for boots going to plenum. (Nice products ). Got them all installed and clamped down , went to run the truck this morning and it ran like crap. Was really looking forward to an awesome running truck since old boots were leaking, but now it runs alot worse. Should i keep clamping down?? Afraid im going to bend the aluminum pipes. They are all around 15 lb/ft . Keep cranking or could there be something different to look for. Anything i can look up on obd link mx?? I dont have a boost gauge.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
More than likely something is misaligned. Check your spider to turbo connection where the v-band clamp is. You can also pressurize the system and make sure everything was installed correctly.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:21 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A link to a very effective and inexpensive diagnostic tool for boost leaks courtesy of SkySkiJason:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ctor-pics.html

Old 01-29-2016, 10:25 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Since you have the OBD Link Mx, I will assume you have an Android phone or windows laptop w Bluetooth...ForScan is your answer.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:08 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by jhl3
Since you have the OBD Link Mx, I will assume you have an Android phone or windows laptop w Bluetooth...ForScan is your answer.
Yes i have a forscan, just new to this and really not sure at what PIDs to look at for a problem. I also have a leak detector I'm going to try out for the first time. Is it ok to hook up the leak detector before the CCV on air intake

Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jstihl
Is it ok to hook up the leak detector before the CCV on air intake
No. If you do that, then you'll be pressurizing the crankcase. You don't want to do that. You must do it after the CCV so you isolate the intake.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:31 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by binuya
No. If you do that, then you'll be pressurizing the crankcase. You don't want to do that. You must do it after the CCV so you isolate the intake.
Ok , thanks for the tip. Thought i read somewhere that you could but didnt sound like a good idea

Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by binuya
Exactly correct!

Or, you can plug the CCV. I think removing the plumbing to eliminate the CCV is easier.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:14 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Ok so i hooked up leak tester and when I pump it up all the air is leaking out of the CCV. I have the leak tester hooked up to the intake pipe after the CCV. Is there supposed to be air coming out of the CCV? Or do I just plug it up??? Please help

Old 01-30-2016, 07:39 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
From what I remember reading about the test (never done it myself), yes there is to be air coming out of the CCV. Although, take a spray bottle of dish soap and water and spray it where there are joints for the air to escape. Examples are each boot end and turbo to spider connection.

Staring at 3:20 in this video is what you are looking to do in order to find your leak. You have one, you just haven't found it yet.

Then this video provides a good example of how to spray and what to spray.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Just a thought, but did you have to remove the plenums to install the inserts? Maybe one of the UVC Harnesses is loose.

How is it running different? Rough, choppy, smokey?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jstihl
Ok so i hooked up leak tester and when I pump it up all the air is leaking out of the CCV. I have the leak tester hooked up to the intake pipe after the CCV. Is there supposed to be air coming out of the CCV? Or do I just plug it up??? Please help
Were you able to plumb the leak tester so that there is only a boot between the tester and the intake side of the turbo?

Are you saying that the pressurized air is coming out of the dog house on the VC?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:55 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Just a thought, but did you have to remove the plenums to install the inserts? Maybe one of the UVC Harnesses is loose.

How is it running different? Rough, choppy, smokey?
The inserts were popped into the inside of yhe plenums, with out taking them off. I have sprayed all connections and cant find any leaks. I have pumped up to 20 psi . And leaks down within 8 seconds with all air coming out of ccv. The truck runs but has no pick up, feels like no boost but cant find a leak. Stumped

Old 01-30-2016, 11:01 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
How does the clamp seated that Clay mentioned above?

Sure sounds like a boost leak in your description. But maybe not at the boots. Have you checked the up pipes?

Old 01-30-2016, 11:02 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Also, check the EBPV actuator rod and electrical connection at the base of the turbo pedestal.

Quick Reply: Installed all new CAC boots and now the truck runs horrible? ?