Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

OEM brand for IDI valve lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question OEM brand for IDI valve lifters?

Does anyone know the OEM brand for IDI valve lifters?

Alternately, can anyone recommend a brand of quality replacements?

For a little background on this, I purchased a set off eBay a while back. I think the ad said they were Federal Mogul / Sealed Power brand. I didn't open the package right away, and when I did, I saw they were just packaged in bubble wrap. No boxes or labels or brand markings whatsoever. Some of them have little catchy spots on the roller action and I am not very pleased with them. I suspect this may be a case of bait and switch but it is impossible to tell.

I asked Justin about it, he says he has never replaced lifters. He always re-used the stock ones. He cautioned that one of his customers had trouble with aftermarket replacements and ended up with two bent push rods. His suggestion was to find some OEM lifters. (Mine are not re-useable).

I also have a related question regarding the correct installation procedure. I recall reading somewhere that you do not want to pre-fill the by submersing them in oil. I read that this causes over filling and may result in bent push rods, valve damage broken rocker arm assemblies and general valve train carnage. Is there any truth to this? What is the best way to prime them before attempting to start the engine?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you take them apart you can see worn parts and swap around stuff if external wear is the reason you can't use them the inside guts can still be good... don't fill them use copious amounts of assembly grease on cam and stuff you will have no problems..

Old 01-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speedwrench72
if you take them apart you can see worn parts and swap around stuff if external wear is the reason you can't use them the inside guts can still be good... don't fill them use copious amounts of assembly grease on cam and stuff you will have no problems..
I have parts from three engines now, but I don't trust the lifter internals:

My 6.9- I had a plastic oil gauge feed tube break. It ran out of oil and the lifters collapsed. They rebounded but some valve train noise persisted. Not sure if this is lifter damage but I suspect it is. It made some horrific noises until the lifters re-filled.

My 7.3 IDIT parts donor- I bought it with the full disclosure that it had also been run low on oil. Still running but not as it should. At $350 it was a steal for the turbo kit, serpentine accessory system, rods, and IP, injectors etc., et., block was ruined though. Bore "taper" does not even begin to cover it!

My 1994 7.3 NA block donor- spun main and rod bearings, bearing shrapnel pumped throughout the engine but block is useable. Had a couple bent push rods on the cylinder that spit a rod out of the oil pan, so, yeah. Not using them.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ford F834
I have parts from three engines now, but I don't trust the lifter internals:

My 6.9- I had a plastic oil gauge feed tube break. It ran out of oil and the lifters collapsed. They rebounded but some valve train noise persisted. Not sure if this is lifter damage but I suspect it is. It made some horrific noises until the lifters re-filled.

My 7.3 IDIT parts donor- I bought it with the full disclosure that it had also been run low on oil. Still running but not as it should. At $350 it was a steal for the turbo kit, serpentine accessory system, rods, and IP, injectors etc., et., block was ruined though. Bore "taper" does not even begin to cover it!

My 1994 7.3 NA block donor- spun main and rod bearings, bearing shrapnel pumped throughout the engine but block is useable. Had a couple bent push rods on the cylinder that spit a rod out of the oil pan, so, yeah. Not using them.
Why not disassemble the lifters and see? They aren't hard to take apart, and you should be able to clean them well enough and tell what's damaged.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:36 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Why not disassemble the lifters and see? They aren't hard to take apart, and you should be able to clean them well enough and tell what's damaged.
Costs nothing to try I suppose. I'm not sure what I would be looking for, just anything obviously "damaged" I guess.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil filter should catch any bearing debris. 92 was run low enough the lifters were clattering, went 7 miles filled back up, never a peep from em since. Even after sitting. Seem to be pretty solid parts. I also think they are the same as the 5.7, 6.2, and 6.5 diesels, so more options to look at?