Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed o meter

Old 12-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
speed o meter

Any buddy had there speed-o-meter stop working then about 1.5 miles later start working again? I know there's a speed sensor on the diff, but I thought if it stopped working it would stay stop working. I had mine go out 150K back but never any problems since. Thanks for any in site.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Shovelheadrob
Elder User
Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine stopped twice in a 10 minute period back in the summer. I was a long way from home, I stopped & restarted the truck & it hasn't done it again in 5k miles. It also made the o/do light come on & my aftermarket radio with navigation displayed "no speed pulse" I suspected the VSS but as it's been ok since I'll leave it until I have to work on the axle to put in a LSD.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:07 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
I'm sitting at a hair over 280K miles, and the only times mine has stopped working has been whenever I go north of the 98 mph mark. Then, upon re-entry into the sub-98 mph region, it kicks back on and works like it should for those more "normal" operating conditions.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Last time mine went out the OD light did blink also but not this time. I had just stopped for 15 minutes and upon returning and starting the truck I noticed it not working. Was going to go under the truck when I got home but it started working again. It's cold here so I think I will leave well enough alone for now. Just don't like when things don't work. Thanks guys,
Chet

Old 12-28-2015, 06:09 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
BadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud of
I have had trouble with my speedo a few times and every time the OD light blinked. First time it was problems with the trans was going out. The next time it was the diff sensor went bad and then about a month later I had to replace the pigtail for the diff sensor.

So if it acts up again check the plug itself and ohm the diff sensor. Also I would think it would pull a code too.
But I do not recall if I had any stored codes when I had issues.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Jdeshler
Posting Guru
Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.Jdeshler has a good reputation on FTE.
Reach just above the emergency brake and squeeze the Gem module/ fuse box and see if it makes a difference.. It can be done safely driving but BE SAFE doing it!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
When I drive it tomorrow I'll see if it acts up again. First thing I looked at was the OD light and it wasn't flashing. Years back I stopped for coffee in wyoming, middle of know where, and when I left the speed-o didn't work. Drove 150 miles to afton then the CPS went out. Had to have both replaced then all was well. Didn't have spare parts or know much back then. I'm going to check the pig tail for sure latter, won't hurt. Been pretty lucky with this truck so far. But miles are adding up.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:42 AM
Shovelheadrob
Elder User
Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.
Just to add that when mine did play up, it also put the transmission into 2nd gear only. I think that is a default limp mode.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:38 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
when mine went out it was from a broken headlight wire shorting out on the ABS module. took out the ABS module and pump, speedometer, set off the ABS light, put the trans in limp mode, and turned the CEL light on.
took me a while to find it until i realized it would only screw up when i turned the headlights on. and it was not until i realized the driver side headlight was out that i put 2 and 2 together to fix everything.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:07 AM
99F-350CrewCab
Senior User
99F-350CrewCab is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.99F-350CrewCab is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine does that some times, but it's because the previous owners dog liked to eat the wire going back to the sensor in the diff. The dealer patched it up but it got water in there and corroded the wires. I've replaced the wiring and not had a problem since. I'd check your wires over, may have one that was nicked by a rock or stick and is corroding and causing an intermittent connection.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Funny on two accounts. We just had a bunch of wind and the under neat of the truck had a lot of debris, I cleaned it out before I left. On the second one, my high beam on the drivers side hasn't worked for a while but I haven't used the lights since this happen and no cel light either. I'll be driving it again in about an hour I'll see what happens. It's nice that every buddy keeps posting not just for me but any buddy else that mitt run across this.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender
Studawg is a name known to allStudawg is a name known to allStudawg is a name known to allStudawg is a name known to allStudawg is a name known to allStudawg is a name known to all
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
I'm sitting at a hair over 280K miles, and the only times mine has stopped working has been whenever I go north of the 98 mph mark. Then, upon re-entry into the sub-98 mph region, it kicks back on and works like it should for those more "normal" operating conditions.
Thats because an F250 breaks the space-time continuum at 98 mph. You aren't really going faster than 98 mph, you are actually going into the future for an instant. It has to do with mass in proportion to velocity, rotation of the earth, and the speed of light.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Rikster-7700
Posting Guru
Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Studawg
Thats because an F250 breaks the space-time continuum at 98 mph. You aren't really going faster than 98 mph, you are actually going into the future for an instant. It has to do with mass in proportion to velocity, rotation of the earth, and the speed of light.
But where did you mount your flux capacitor? Now there is a mod I want to see! :-)

Old 12-29-2015, 02:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
don't need one. we have flux capacitors built in. you just have to find where the factory hid the switch to turn it on and off.