4.6 help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:18 PM
rookie19
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 help!!!!

Hello!

So long story short I bought a 2002 Explorer with a 4.6l. I knew going into it that the motor did not run but would turn over. Previous owner said it was knocking so she turned it off and it wouldn’t start back up. Took it to two different shops and they wanted to charge her 4k for motor only plus labor and fluids. I want to know how the truly came to the conclusion of the motor because they didn’t open it up and the filter was untouched…

We did find a decent amount of sludge in the motor when tearing it down…. Signs of cheap oil and going past on changes… Based off the sticker on the window and the OD she was almost over 3k on her change……….

Most of my gearhead knowledge is coming from my father in-law. Who is a Chevy guy…….. LOL! We have the capability to do everything minus machine work when it comes to building a motor.

So first thing we do is cut open the filter and sure enough…. A good amount of material in it. So we pull the motor out put it on the stand and pull the pan. Sure enough…. 3 rod bearings went (1,5 and 8). Now the only thing that is really concerning to me are the cams and cam cages… The heads are in amazing condition minus 3 vales not fully seating (pulled them out of the parts washer and the water was somewhat running out). As for the cams and cages… They were not smooth and I’m not even sure polishing them would clean them up… So what are the rules on reuse for the heads, cam and cages? What are my options to clean them up? Or am I stuck with getting new heads and cams?

So here are my options I’m looking at but I want input from people who know the 4.6

A – New reman motor from a local builder…. Roughly $2,500

B – Buy a used motor from a wrecking yard or ebay or….
My father in-law checked into QUE online and they have a motor with 72,000 for 1,600ish

Just for off the phone with a local wrecking yard. They have an 05 4.6. They are stating that all I need to swap is intake, valve covers, and a rear water pipe.
170-180 compression on all cylinders
New timing chain tensioners
92,000 miles
1,200 plus tax
6 month warranty

Found a Craig'slist deal.
08 complete crown Vic motor with 70k on it for $600

C – Rebuild… not happening as I would be better off buying a reman for not much more...

So basically I have a compete motor.... If I find a complete motor that isn't 2002 can I swap parts and be good?

Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 AM
rookie19
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ttt

Anyone?!?!?!

Old 12-26-2015, 07:03 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to FTE. First, you might want to title your thread a little better so the right people will respond. I have a friend who had a limo company and when a Modular motor was trashed, changing it out was the correct option. They are tight motors and many go a half million miles with no problems. Police departments and taxi fleets do the same; they pull engines out of wrecked cars.

First you need to confirm if your Explorer has a Windsor (Ontario plant) or Romeo (Michigan plant) engine. Most Explorers are Romeo engines. 8th digit of the vin is W for a Romeo (really) and 6 for a Windsor. If by chance you have a Windsor, you would be looking for an F150 engine.

Do a search on the differences between the Romeo and Windsor--different flywheel bolt pattern and some other details. Your Explorer would also be a PI (power improved) engine which Romeo adopted circa 2001.

The Crown Vic engine seems to be the best deal and the cars used Romeo engines almost exclusively so that part is good. They are also both 2 valve engines. Intake manifolds will likely be different between the car and Explorer applications but if both are PI Romeos, they should be transferable. Not sure if they used different front covers, accessory drives, or exhaust manifolds between the Explorer and the cars.

I am not sure if the 02 and 08 engines will be electrically compatible with the ECU and if sensors and locations are the same. You may have to do some more research on that.

I have an 02 E150 with the Romeo engine and there was a problem with cyl heads on the 01-03 Romeo PI engines--bad cooling on the rear cylinders would cause the exhaust valve guides to stick and eventually burn valves. I got new heads under warranty (whew). By 05 they had fixed this problem.

So try a new thread with a specific title like "Will 08 Crown Vic 4.6 adapt to 02 Explorer?" We don't need details on your current engine; it's done.

Good luck,
George