General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Something to think about....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 10:36 AM
garymake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her "How could God let something like this happen?" (regarding the attacks on Sept. 11).

Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said "I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives.

And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"

In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools,

And we said OK..

Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school ... the Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself.

And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about.

And we said OK.

Then someone said teachers and principals better not discipline our children when they misbehave. The school administrators said no faculty member in this school better touch a student when they misbehave because we don't want any bad publicity, and we surely don't want to be sued (there's a big difference between disciplining, touching, beating, smacking, humiliating, kicking, etc.).

And we said OK.

Then someone said, let's let our daughters have abortions if they want, and they won't even have to tell their parents.

And we said OK.

Then some wise school board member said, since boys will be boys and they're going to do it anyway, let's give our sons all the condoms they want so they can have all the fun they desire, and we won't have to tell their parents they got them at school.

And we said OK.

Then some of our top elected officials said it doesn't matter what we do in private as long as we do our jobs. Agreeing with them, we said it doesn't matter to me what anyone, including the President, does in private as long as I have a job and the economy is good.

Then someone said let's print magazines with pictures of nude women and call it wholesome, down-to-earth appreciation for the beauty of the female body.

And we said OK.

Then someone else took that appreciation a step further and published pictures of nude children and then further again by making them available on the Internet.

And we said OK, they're entitled to free speech.

Then the entertainment industry said, let's make TV shows and movies that promote profanity, violence, and illicit sex. Let's record music that encourages rape, drugs, murder, suicide, and satanic themes. And we said it's just entertainment, it has no adverse effect, nobody takes it seriously anyway, so go right ahead.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."

Old 08-07-2003, 10:39 AM
theologian
Postmaster

AMEN

Old 08-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru

WOW! That's good.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All that is great...

But I would like to say one thing about the condom sentence...
I know that alot might disagree but they do help keep young people from ruining their life with haveing a child to early and to help prevent diseases..
I mean I think it is good to tell guys to use them because if they do have a child alot of times neither party wants them and the girl feels like she failed and sometimes wants to get rid of it. And some times makes the guy or girl drop out of school to get a job to support her baby if they have no support from family.

Hope no one is mad at me but I just like to say if you have sex and your young please use one because like they say "Condoms save Lives" and it's true and it keeps alot of heartake,and suffering from family and friends who have delt with teen pregnancy..

I will say that I used them when I was a teenager and it kept me out of trouble...

Man sorry to turn it into a condom issue I just wanted to make my little point..

Also my wife sure is glad I used them also...
I listened to what people said and used protection..

Old 08-07-2003, 11:16 AM
whistler
Senior User

Why didn't God make the 9/11 terrorist attacks more successful? After all there are a great many people who believed they were doing God's will. Why should He have forsaken them?

(Heavy on the Sarcasm, here.)

Whistler

Last edited by whistler; 08-07-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:20 AM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru

preach on garymake.....100% correct in all areas...

as for Jim and the condoms...something isn't always better than nothing...how bout abstinence....condoms fail, break and are mis-used...try a cold shower, or hanging out with friends....there isn't a condom for the mind or emotions.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Jim242002
Posting Guru

Hey fisher I agree with all..

But I am just saying the truth about alot of men out there.. I am a guy I know how guys are and some guys are going to have sex before they get married..I did and I know others who did as well.....Not all guys will have sex before they get married but for the ones that do, learn to use a condom correctly and be safe if you are going to have sex...Thats all

If your going to have sex It's better to use one then not use one you know...

Last edited by Jim242002; 08-07-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Bubba Shrimp
Posting Guru

I see what you're saying, if you're going to do it, use a condom, but passing them out free is just like saying, "sure it's okay, go ahead and do it"

You are going to say, they are going to do it anyway; well in a lot of cases you're right, but I say let em pay for their own dammed condoms!

Giving away free condoms is sending a big message that it is okay to do this and it's not, morally or medically.

When I went to high school if a girl got pregnant it was the worst thing that could happen, now it's no big deal thanks to our new morality.

I know it's not easy to resist, especially after "you've been there, done that", so the trick is to not do it at all. I think the government and school system is really letting the young folks down when they are sending the "it's okay, just use protection" message.

Even if it was physically safe, a lot of emotional damage can be done that can lead to depression and even suicide.

Last edited by Bubba Shrimp; 08-07-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Jim242002
Posting Guru

Thanks Bubba..

Thats very true I mean they ain't high. Make them go buy them theirself many places sell them..
I just trying to tell guys that if your going to do it, do it the safe way so you won't have to pay 9 months later..Cause as you all know the last thing a 17 year old needs is a baby..

Old 08-07-2003, 11:30 AM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru

agreed...I've just seen how even protected sex can mess people's lives up...how it affects them down the road, even later on in marrage. Unfortunately, many don't think about that kinda stuff in the heat of the moment....that's why its so important to keep away from the tempting places...group dating is problaby the safest and best way to get to know somebody and still have a great time...your not alone (therefore keeping you out of sexual situations), you get to know the person for who they are, and everybody benifits.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:45 AM
garymake
Senior User

I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't.

I'm not sure who initiated it on the net, but I received it from someone else, was impressed by it and wanted to share it with my FTE family.

whistler,

The reason God should forsake the 9/11 terrorists (and those that support them) is because they preyed on innocent men, women and children in their attack (non-combatants). It is my understanding that the Muslim religion does not condone attacks on non-combatants thereby nullifying the claim that they were carrying out Gods will.

These terrorists carried out these deeds for their own personal reasons and/or gain (martyrism, a better life for those left behind, venting of their own personal rage or hatred, envy, fame, the misguided gaurantee of a better afterlife, to escape their current life, recognition - albeit posthumous, etc.). For those who have carried out their deeds of terror, it is now between them and God and may God have mercy on their souls.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:55 AM
whistler
Senior User

What I am trying to say is that I really doubt God let these people hijack planes and crash them into buildings. That list
of problems you relayed, those are all valid concerns. But I don't think if we were able to rectify our societal shortcomings, God would suddenly put an invincible sheild over our country. IMHO God doesn't work that way.

Whistler

Last edited by whistler; 08-07-2003 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:09 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru

Terror is the work of the devil...
God protects us all, he just has that special way of doing it...

Old 08-07-2003, 12:39 PM
garymake
Senior User

Whistler,

I agree with what you are saying, a giant shield would not magically appear. But IMHO, if we paid more attention to what God has given us, promoted his teachings and instilled those values in our children, that would go a long way towards repairing some of the ills we suffer in our society.

And who knows what additional side effects this might have. Perhaps, as we applied more of these principles and values in the way we deal with each other, some of it might carry over in how we treat those with different beliefs or in other countries - possibly changing their opinion of us.

Instead of being the decedent, greedy cesspool of all that is evil (as they would have their followers believe), maybe they would have a little respect for us and not want to destroy us.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:55 PM
whistler
Senior User

garymake-

I think you are right. If we worked on some of the social ills that prevail in this country the carryover effect could be quite large.

I really only posted on this thread because that quote by Anne Graham seems to oversimplify the issue and smacks of religious fundamentalism. That got under my skin a little bit.

I have enjoyed this dialogue, even if I started it in a flameworthy manner.

whistler

Quick Reply: Something to think about....