1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Hard Start When Warm; Fuel Injector Leak Down

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 PM
DesertZuki
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Start When Warm; Fuel Injector Leak Down

I thought I did a leak down test after I brought it home last year, but maybe I just tested the pressure while running... I don't remember now. Anyway, it sat over the summer and now I have a significant leak down. I pinched the fuel line and the return line and it leaked down just as fast. If the injectors are leaking I guess that would explain the wet and fouled plugs. Would it explain the horrible gas mileage? Would it also explain the now rotten, black sooted swiss-cheese exhaust?

I'm looking at replacing all the injectors. I may have found some 4 hole remans that I can afford; new is out of the budget. This is my next course of action unless one you Bullnose scholars offers some sage advice that motivates me in a different direction. Short of that, you could just say, "Hey, dummy -- did you try this first?"

When it's warm, it's almost impossible to start. It used to be hard to start, now it's really hard to start. With the pressure gauge attached to the rail, I watch pressure slowly creep up while cranking. It doesn't climb with key on / key off cycles. It starts good cold.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:47 AM
DesertZuki
Senior User
I'm going to order injectors today.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 AM
Hopsing69
Senior User
DeserZuki I ran into the same problem with my 5.0L 1985 FI. I replaced the injectors and it ran fine for about a week, then the problem returned. Now if I put it to the floor it will start right up, but you should not have to do this. It took me all day to change the injectors out. You'll have to go the somewhere like Harbor Freight to get a long slim torx bit that will fit a 1/4 inch extention to get to that center manifold bolt. It is a real bugger. If it were me I'd rent a pressure tester and see how long he injectors are holding pressure before I tackled the chore of replacing them. Keep us posted what you finally do and what remedy was found for the hard starting. Richard

Old 12-16-2015, 09:10 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Sears sells those torx bits, I don't understand how it's so difficult.

Regardless, yes, a pressure test to determine if fuel is in fact leaking someplace before throwing parts at it, good recommendation.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:12 PM
DesertZuki
Senior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
...Regardless, yes, a pressure test to determine if fuel is in fact leaking someplace before throwing parts at it, good recommendation.
A test other than this?
Originally Posted by DesertZuki
... I pinched the fuel line and the return line and it leaked down just as fast....

Old 12-16-2015, 02:19 PM
DesertZuki
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hopsing69
...You'll have to go the somewhere like Harbor Freight to get a long slim torx bit that will fit a 1/4 inch extention to get to that center manifold bolt...
In your case it sounds like you have a degraded fuel system delivering enough dirt to clog the injectors. I suppose I might experience the same. Hmm.

Thank you for the tip. You saved me half a day right there, not having to drive into the city for something like that.

The injectors are already in the mail. Four hole reman Bosch for less than the price of a cleaning.

Side note: With its weak battery, it won't start at all now. Not even cold WOT. Just before this happened I tried the trick where you use a vacuum line to suck in Sea Foam for cleaning. Not the best idea, apparently.