North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 12:22 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought pepboys lifetime alignment back when Wesley worked there. I've held them too it. Kingpins on Josh's can't be adjusted camber wise, you'd set the toe and that's it.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GLR
Sometimes with alignment machines, if "it's in the green" it's good enough.. We had to do a car alignment once with the guy sitting in the car as his weight (about 350 pounds) was enough to change the settings.

That happens quite a lot from what I remember. If it's green it ships. Doesn't matter... who's hand was on it...

Old 02-03-2020, 02:34 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
I bought pepboys lifetime alignment back when Wesley worked there. I've held them too it. Kingpins on Josh's can't be adjusted camber wise, you'd set the toe and that's it.
Boy are they going to regret that. What you take it in once a quarter to get it checked and adjusted?

Old 02-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dropped the tank on my new 83 F-100 project, what a mess. Rust holes in the top, and the parts truck - well damn I removed all the gas from the tank, through the fuel line, and then went to add some fresh gas to it so I could run the I-6 motor, and guess what. No way to add fuel to the tank! When the PO put that 95 bed on it, the filler tube is in a different location, so he just bent the hose to a 90 degree angle, reinstalled the cap, and let it hang down under the truck!

Old 02-03-2020, 06:33 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Originally Posted by GLR
Hey Dave were you looking for/thinking about something like this?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5879805090465/
scroll for the suspension
At first I saw the auto and was ??? then read and see the suspension.
Price is not bad but going to hold off for a bit. The suspension is rebuilt so don't need to replace but it still darts left & right.
I think I have too many shims, book did not say what the spec should be and may remove 1 or 2 to loosen it up.

Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Sparky,

I just break out the tape measure, some string, and plumb bob. I'm sure Dave has done it that way as well @FuzzFace2

But seriously. If i need an alignment done and I care about it. then I take it to Wesley. He will do it right and cheap.
Yep but the only thing we can adjust is toe so a tape works.
I don't know how far off I was when I took it in for alignment but don't think that much.
Dave ----

Old 02-03-2020, 06:38 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Cracker289
Dropped the tank on my new 83 F-100 project, what a mess. Rust holes in the top, and the parts truck - well damn I removed all the gas from the tank, through the fuel line, and then went to add some fresh gas to it so I could run the I-6 motor, and guess what. No way to add fuel to the tank! When the PO put that 95 bed on it, the filler tube is in a different location, so he just bent the hose to a 90 degree angle, reinstalled the cap, and let it hang down under the truck!
John, I used a small 2 gal. jug under the hood set up on the inner fender well and a long rubber hose from it to the pump.
I did not want to put gas in the tanks because I did not know how long before I got the truck on the road and the gas fo go bad.
Dave ----

Old 02-03-2020, 08:31 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Boy are they going to regret that. What you take it in once a quarter to get it checked and adjusted?
One of the techs asked me why don't I straight axle swap it..lol.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:21 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
One of the techs asked me why don't I straight axle swap it..lol.
Why would you want to? That's a street\farm truck. Not a toy right? It get's used for work not for play. That's what the ATV is for. But that's just my thought..

Old 02-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
Spent the afternoon cutting out the bed floor of this 83 stepside. I'm going to have to replace at least 3 of the horizontal braces. I have no idea how this bed was held together, only had 4 bolts, none of which were tightened, and they were just going through the rusted old sheetmetal, nothing substantial!

Just throw down thin sheet metal on top of the existing structure and tack weld it down?

At least now I can see what needs to be done. But that's enough rusty metal sparks in my face for one day.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:11 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
The way you cut the metal floor from the sides what if you were to remove the sides and trimmed the floor so it left a lip for the bolts?
This way you would not need to get other metal to make the lip.
Dave ----

Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Why would you want to? That's a street\farm truck. Not a toy right? It get's used for work not for play. That's what the ATV is for. But that's just my thought..
Because he didn't want to align it for the 3rd or 4th year in a row,haha. I don't, minus a ball joint with a blown boot, the front end serves it's purpose fine and is in good shape.

Apparently my brake job went a bit haywire. Apparently the "self adjusters" worked too well on Monday and got my drums in the 300 degree or so range, ( temp gun reading) now there's a shuddering. Already backed them off enough to keep them cooler. Now to see if the parts store will warranty out drums 🙄. I had them set so the drum would just slip on by hand over the shoes, not enough to cause the heat issue.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:58 AM
Cracker289
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
The way you cut the metal floor from the sides what if you were to remove the sides and trimmed the floor so it left a lip for the bolts?
This way you would not need to get other metal to make the lip.
Dave ----
I'm not 100% sure I'm following you. It sounds like you mean to bend the sides inwards to create a lip? But if I did that it would higher than it normally should right?

Old 02-05-2020, 11:54 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Because he didn't want to align it for the 3rd or 4th year in a row,haha. I don't, minus a ball joint with a blown boot, the front end serves it's purpose fine and is in good shape.

Apparently my brake job went a bit haywire. Apparently the "self adjusters" worked too well on Monday and got my drums in the 300 degree or so range, ( temp gun reading) now there's a shuddering. Already backed them off enough to keep them cooler. Now to see if the parts store will warranty out drums 🙄. I had them set so the drum would just slip on by hand over the shoes, not enough to cause the heat issue.
Was there something wrong with the drums before you bought them?

I'm not 100% sure I'm following you. It sounds like you mean to bend the sides inwards to create a lip? But if I did that it would higher than it normally should right?
John, Think he means to cut the bed an inch or two from the sides so that you have a lip to bolt to. Do you have your glasses on?

Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Josh, I couldn't tell anything wrong when they were new. Gonna have O'Reilly's check them on the brake lathe. Besides the shuddering, it stops quickly.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
John, Think he means to cut the bed an inch or two from the sides so that you have a lip to bolt to. Do you have your glasses on?
Yes you went front to rear in a straight line down both sides on the metal floor leaving a W I D E lip. Just trim that lip back leaving an inch or little more following the contour of the bed sides. Then no need to come up with metal and weld it on. You may need to do a little welding if the welds on what is left is not too good.

Have to see how the weather is Friday after my eye needle or if you are around Saturday or Sunday and weather is not bad to swing by to see what you got going on with the trucks.
Let me know day & time that works for you and text me your address.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread