Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ford SuperDuty Diagnosis on the Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:40 PM
scoutcamper
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jed1894
Anyone getting blocked from downloaded the Windows version? I use Norton and it will not let me download the program. It says it is unsafe. I guess it would work if I disabled Norton...

jed
As a IT Professional, get rid of Norton ASAP!! It is a worthless antivirus, I personally use Kaspersky and have not gotten a virus in over 5 years.

I can tell you that forscan works fine for me and many many others, no reports of it spreading viruses that I can find.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
I just installed ForScan in WinD'ohs XP running under VirtualBox on my MacBook. I haven't tried connecting to the adapter yet, but I'll probably get to that tomorrow. I'll post my results.
Didn't have any luck getting connected via Bluetooth. The Win XP guest doesn't want to interact with the OS X host's Bluetooth, and I really don't feel like messing with some convoluted workaround. Maybe I'll try the AE USB adapter tomorrow, or maybe I'll order a cheap USB OBD adapter . . .

Old 12-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 12pump
Thanks for the info scoutcamper.
So tugly is there a elm327 you have found to work best? BAFX OR VGATE? Other.
Without direct experience, I haven't heard anything bad about BAFX or VGATE. I personally like OBDLink MX. It's a bit pricey, but that sucker is fast. I use it on the Powerstroke (with 12 PIDs at a time) and the P'us (with about 30 or so PIDs at a time) - it works great on both.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:26 PM
E450 newbie
Junior User
I tried the demo with I phone and an android with the cheap adapter. The blue tooth would not connect for me but the WiFi did. I got it to do more with Forscan than with torque and dash command. It actually read some codes. Going for the full version tomorrow. The android using wifi adaptor was the only way I was able to connect to Forscan. It looked like the one that was used in the beginning of this thread but was wifi instead of usb. Think it was $17 bucks on amazon. Also forscan said it was the 1.7 version and not the 2.2 or whatever it was. Anyway it seemed easier for me to use that torque but I am no IT person by any means.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
I just tried to connect to my truck with ForScan on my MacBook running Win XP under VirtualBox. Using the AE USB adapter. As I thought it would be, it was a no-go. However, AE did connect just fine under the same installation, so that's another option for people with Macs.

I'm gonna keep working on a way to get ForScan connected on this MacBook. A USB ELM adapter is my likely next move.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:05 PM
E450 newbie
Junior User
I just ran Forscan with windows on my 2001 E450 and it said some things weren't compatible. Some PIDs wouldn't work and some sensors would detect. Would that be because of the WiFi adapter that I have, or software from Forscan or just my truck? Thanx. Guess it is the beta version. Was a free download. It would clear my codes and monitor some things. Just not everything.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Late comer to this one but at least I didn't have to wait for days as it matured. Great info scoutcamper and thank you for all the work. I look forward to learning from this one it looks great.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:20 PM
arto_wa
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by scoutcamper
As a IT Professional, get rid of Norton ASAP!! It is a worthless antivirus, I personally use Kaspersky and have not gotten a virus in over 5 years.

It was pretty easy to make make an exception and have Norton accept the Forscan setup download!

We are using Comcast / Xfinity supplied Norton Security Suite in five different PC's in our household and have had zero problems with it in the last several years.

Your mileage may vary

Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In case anybody wants to try one, I ordered this one and it works with Forscan and laptop with XP. It connected fast and works good.

Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone play with this enough to post up some good tricks, etc. what all works? Etc. using laptop.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:01 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
My adapter is in the mail for the laptop running 7. I'll post my findings.

I can't frickin sleep I'm so excited.

Denny

Old 12-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
I haven't gotten my Wi-Fi or USB adapter to try with ForScan yet, but in the meantime, here are a couple of screenshots of AE running on a MacBook Pro using WinD'ohs XP installed under VirtualBox . . .

Name:  pgoA3Jk.png
Views: 812
Size:  488.9 KB

Name:  PUHIFRA.png
Views: 807
Size:  478.5 KB

Old 12-12-2015, 10:49 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
My adapter is in the mail for the laptop running 7. I'll post my findings.

I can't frickin sleep I'm so excited.

Denny
Yup! I was excited too. I don't want to be a killjoy, but if you ordered the adapter that the OP posted, it may not work.

Some of the identical adapters online come with cd's that contain drivers.
I have scoured the net looking for drivers, downloaded three different ones that should be compatible and after scanning the executables for viruses, tried to install them and it freezes during the setup.

So, if you find a work around when it comes in, assuming it is the same adapter, please post it. I'll do the same.

On the other hand, the Android version is working very well. I am chasing a few codes on one truck that I never knew existed while using only INFINITY.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:18 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Pik,

I'm running XP on an old laptop I had and haven't used for years.

I received my adapter yesterday. This thing is the bomb. Up and running with no problems. Still learning but initially OMG. This thing does damn near everything including transmission reads. Very cool.

Day one, so sill on the fence but whoa.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...Ivi/s-l225.jpg

This is the adapter I bought.

Denny

Old 12-12-2015, 05:24 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

It looks identical. Did it come with a CD? or were the drivers native to XP.

Quick Reply: Ford SuperDuty Diagnosis on the Cheap