Trip advice - Early planning stage

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Lees350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all. We're planning on trading in our TT for a 5th wheel. We are trying to plan a trip from Ontario Canada, down to Disneyland next summer.

Hoping to hit some interesting places on the trip down and on the way back.

Having never done the trip before, I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations on where to stop, where not to stop, what roads to avoid, which ones to take, must see/stop here, keep driving etc. I've heard to stay off the I95 as it can be a nightmare. And if anyone has any experience/suggestions on which campsites to stay at along the way and at Disney.

We're not planning on rushing down, prolly a week down, maybe 5 to 7 days at Disney/Universal Studios and a week traveling back. Nothing locked in stone except for Disney.

Trip will be primarily for my 7yr old son, to take him to Disney, and he loves camping. But wouldn't mind a point of interest or two that mom and pop would like.

We'll be crossing the border into the US around Watertown NY.

So if you have any suggestions, have done the trip, I would love to hear your opinions/recommendations.

Thanx!

P.S. Mods: I posted here as this relates to pulling a 5'er, and would probably get the most educated responses? If there's a more suitable forum, please move it... thanks

Old 11-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess the first suggestion would be to go a little further East in Ontario and cross the border at I-81/Thousand Islands Bridge and use that as a great bypass of I-95 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_81#New_York.

Some of what you can see on or fairly near I-81:
Thousand Islands region, NY side,
NY Finger Lakes Wine trail (if so inclined)
Gettysburg Battlefield, PA
Harley-Davidson in York, PA
Washington, DC
Blue Ridge Parkway, VA to NC or Skyline Drive

Others can take you further South and alternate routes though we will be taking a similar trip to probably SC or GA in April.

The NASA Space Center in FL. is fascinating and well worth a day trip

Oh, and a note, it's Disney World in Florida. There are many guides at your local library, bookstore and AMAZON and you may want one as there is a LOT to do in the area - and choose a current one but not necessarily the cheapest.

Also, what I usually do is look up a particular state's tourism 'net site and ask via email for a tour guide to be sent. All so far that I've requested have been supplied though the earlier the better as a couple for out past trip arrived very late in our planning stage.

Have fun - it's a good trip

Old 11-28-2015, 10:53 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
For the best Disney World experience I would stay in Fort Wilderness, just shop for all your food needs before you enter the park and you will never have to move your truck. Their transportation inside the park is second to none. You will also get a big break on your hopper passes when you stay in the park.

Denny

Old 11-28-2015, 01:45 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I didn't realize I95 was supposed to be bad. Maybe I better stop going that way. Seriously, traffic is much worse in the Orlando area around Disney. We will be on I95 right after Christmas and have driven it countless times picking it up near Columbia, S.C. There is a Flying J there to take on fuel. I am guessing it must be bad further North.

My wife and I like the rides at Universal much better. Fort Wilderness is good. If you can, take you bikes. The ones you rent in Fort Wilderness are kind of lame and it is a great place to bike ride. We ride over to the Wilderness Lodge and jump Disney transportation on the boats from there.

For food, if you run out of something, head towards Disney Village out of Fort Wilderness taking the back way to the Village to avoid traffic. At the Village, head past the major hotel chains and go straight through the lights and you will be in a shopping area with a great grocery store. Johnny's Hideaway in the same shopping center is pricey and packed, but the food is worth it.

One week is too short to see it all!

Steve

Old 11-28-2015, 02:13 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Here is something I would throw out, though not about places to see.

If you are traveling toll roads with Fast Pass lanes, we have found it much faster and convenient to purchase the Fast Pass receiver that sticks on the front windshield behind the mirror. You go online and buy as much as you think you need to pay tolls (we always pay for more than we need as it stays available until you use it and it loads on the Fast Pass automatically. then when you come to a toll booth, had for the Fast Pass lane, slow down to about 55 and just keep right on going. Good all over the country, not just in Florida.

Of course, if you are not running any toll roads, no sense going there, but we found ourselves on toll roads several times.

Steve

Old 11-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I didn't realize I95 was supposed to be bad. Maybe I better stop going that way. .................

Steve
Steve - I-95 from North of Boston, MA to Petersburg, VA can be a barely moving parking lot in places. If you have ever been stuck on the NJ Turnpike for 3-4 hours with no ever discovered reason - accident, construction - any day of the week, you will find why I dislike I-95. Then there is the fact that the OPer is coming from Ontario and choosing I-81 just makes sense.

Once you get past the I-95 potential problem areas - reasonably clear sailing ... errr Rving

Old 11-28-2015, 03:56 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
That sure sounds like a part of the world I really need to avoid!

Steve

Old 11-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
When we drove 7500 miles with our travel trailer from GA to WA and back the Allstays app was essential to our success. We could see the fuel stations ahead, rest stops, restaurants, Wal-Mart, etc.

This allowed us to fuel up and stay where we wanted to instead of where we had to. We are thinking of going full time RV'ing in the next 1.5 years and Allstays will be with us every step of the way.

I think it is $10, maybe $5...

Also, a Pilot/Flying J card allowed us to save on fuel.

Other than that, take it slow and don't rush things.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I have both the Allstays for fuel and camping on my Iphone. Used it several times.

Steve

Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts

If you go to this site you can pick your dates and as you make your way through you can also buy your passes, the passes will be cheaper than the daily rates, the rv sites are also a little better of you stay more than two days but it's not cheap. We are thinking of going there agian next winter.

Denny

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...erness-resort/

Old 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Disney world

If you are even thinking on going to,fort wilderness. Get the campsite ASAP. They run over a year ahead on reservations. Depending on time of year they range from 80 to 135 on the same site. We have stayed there around 40 times in the last 30 years. We tried this winter go get in. No chance on the weekends. We wanted to stay a week.
While,traveling. We stay at KOA along the way.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Lees350
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some good stuff, thank you, I never thought about NASA, that would be a worthwhile trip. I hope to book as soon as I pick my summer holidays in early January.

Never thought about bringing bikes, but looking at the size of the campground I'm thinking that would be a really good idea. Not sure how many toll roads we'd be taking, I'll have to take a look at the route more closely before we decide.

We do plan to eat at the camper as much as possible to save on food costs. So the heads up on the grocery stores is a good one.

We've really enjoyed the KOA's here in Ontario, have pretty much mostly gone to them. It looks like there are a lot more of them in the US, and seem to be much larger.

All good things and stiff we haven't thought of... muchly appreciated.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:05 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Look for a Florida travel book. It will help with planning. Remember summer is a bear. Heat and humid.
We went last summer in July. Heat index was 112. After noon you stayed inside.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:19 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
If you stay on Disney. It will take a minimum of 30 minutes to get to a park. Some are easier by your own vehicle as you are near them but transportation buses take you to a central point , then back to park. Buses run around 20 minutes. So if you need to transfer it could be another 20 minutes before the next bus comes.
We have been there 40 times. Mostly at ft. Wilderness.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:02 AM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bride and I made the trek about a year ago and loved it. We found that getting to the Kingdom from the Wilderness CG was a snap on the shuttle boats. Getting to the other attractions was a bit of a chore as a bus ride was involved. If a single bus ride was all it took (Epcot) it was no big deal but getting to Downtown Disney took a couple of busses and close to an hour. Bikes are great for the CG. The Mouse will also rent you a golf cart but will make you pay many $$$ for the privilege. I have heard you can rent a cart off-site for MUCH less. A few years ago they could deliver the cart to your campsite but the Mouse put a stop to that. Last I checked you had to bring the cart into the CG yourself and some of the rental companies would loan a small trailer.
Every time I turned around the Mouse had his hand in my pocket but we always had a smile on our faces. We loved our trip and are looking for the right time to do it again. We bought meal plans and ate in the parks or Downtown Disney. There are several "behind the scene" tours available (for an extra $$) that sound interesting and can be booked ahead of time. I dove in the Epcot aquarium which was a real treat. If you surf around their web site I believe you can find a list of what's available.
Enjoy your trip!

Quick Reply: Trip advice - Early planning stage