6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford vs GM....what a difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:14 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford vs GM....what a difference

I'm bored in my hotel room scouring the Internet looking for information on all sorts of things. I decided to look at the Duramax forum just to see how people talk about our trucks over there. Apparently, even if you are a Chevy Duramax owner and you talk favorably at all about a 2011+ Ford super duty with the 6.7 you will be roasted to a burnt pulp by your peers.

It seems that most (not all) Duramax forum members/owners have no comprehension of an unbiased review of Ford trucks, even when they have no personal experience with the product. They point out that upon trolling our forum(s) they find pretty much every 6.7L powerstroke has blown it's Head and failed numerous times.

It makes me proud to be part of FTE as it's rare to see pure biased towards other brands coming from members of FTE. So much so that even RAM and GM converts from Ford still hang around and provide good feedback.

You rarely see any senior FTE members bash RAM or GM unless it's clear that the instigator came to forum just to get a rise out of us.

Perhaps it's a maturity thing.

Just my .02

Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I would agree with you. I read a Ram forum and generally speaking the bias in that forum is so great they can't see their shortcomings. Its actually funny to watch some of them try to explain away the track bar weld recall as being no big deal.

The biases are here too, but they are not as strong and the forum is filled with more objective folks. I enjoy that.

Its normally best to just ignore folks who post to instigate a fight. Most forums have an ignore button and I'm a big fan of it.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:11 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2015, 12:54 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chevy has the Isuzu/Duramax and Allison transmission which are both pretty darn good and ram truck has the Cummins and a much improved transmission on their newer trucks and is also pretty darn good..... I really can't think of a good reason to bash either one's driveline other then Ford now builds it's own engine and transmission and it's also pretty darn good..... It really comes down to the little things in the truck anymore and not really worth bashing anyone about their personal preference in the truck.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed on all counts here.

Back in 2008 I switched from a Silverado 3500 dually to an F250. I swear honesty here on this, that F250 handled trailers far better than the Chevy did in ALL aspects. Stability being the primary thing, stronger engine being the second. I don't know if it's still true now but back then I really did feel that those who towed things with a super duty were generally viewed as better decision makers in my mind.

Also, back then I crawled underneath all the brands with a tape measure. The SD was built beefier everywhere I looked. I'm not sure this is true anymore either.

Right now I just feel that Chevy owners are questionable because they prefer those outstanding square wheel wells. I don't see how anyone finds attraction to that style cue? I find it irritating, it actually makes me angry sometimes.

So, my bias is weak now, just silly stuff. I'm sure all 3 would satisfy my needs just fine.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
My sister has a 2011 Chevy DRW. She likes it a lot. Seems to get the job done. She really has nothing to say good or bad about my choices.

I think hers is ok, nothing special. I just don't like the IFS. If it were better built in might be ok.

The Ram front end has gotten much better but I don't think the quality control is where it needs to be. If it had Dana axles it would be much better imho.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by IronCobra
I'm bored in my hotel room scouring the Internet looking for information on all sorts of things. I decided to look at the Duramax forum just to see how people talk about our trucks over there. Apparently, even if you are a Chevy Duramax owner and you talk favorably at all about a 2011+ Ford super duty with the 6.7 you will be roasted to a burnt pulp by your peers.

It seems that most (not all) Duramax forum members/owners have no comprehension of an unbiased review of Ford trucks, even when they have no personal experience with the product. They point out that upon trolling our forum(s) they find pretty much every 6.7L powerstroke has blown it's Head and failed numerous times.

It makes me proud to be part of FTE as it's rare to see pure biased towards other brands coming from members of FTE. So much so that even RAM and GM converts from Ford still hang around and provide good feedback.

You rarely see any senior FTE members bash RAM or GM unless it's clear that the instigator came to forum just to get a rise out of us.

Perhaps it's a maturity thing.

Just my .02
Concur with that!

Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I would agree with you. I read a Ram forum and generally speaking the bias in that forum is so great they can't see their shortcomings. Its actually funny to watch some of them try to explain away the track bar weld recall as being no big deal.

The biases are here too, but they are not as strong and the forum is filled with more objective folks. I enjoy that.

Its normally best to just ignore folks who post to instigate a fight. Most forums have an ignore button and I'm a big fan of it.
LOL you were the guy I was going to mention that is on here and owns a Dodge rig and you are a good contributor to the forum, thanks for that..

Growing up here in Texas it was Chevy/GMC country, FORD had not made a decent truck since before WWII. So when I retired and headed home finally I knew a needed a truck. I also knew Ford outsold the rest in Texas where over 50% of all sales are trucks. Far as I was concerned I would look at them all with my engineers hat on and treat them like clean sheets.

When the dust settled after about 4-6 mos I bought a Ford because I thought it was the best of the bunch...my first Ford in life, now I am on #3.

There is no need to bash anyone's ride unless its over beers among friends and we all just laugh about it.

Yea, good folks on here...

Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
I agree Justin. We are clearly the exception, not the rule here. I'm not brand loyal in any way and the next time around, if one of the other two trucks looked better and had the features/performance I wanted, I'd go for it. I'd still post here though...

Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks

There is no need to bash anyone's ride unless its over beers among friends and we all just laugh about it.
I feel the same way. Drive what you like and I'll drive what I like. I don't care what others drive and in most cases, I prefer friends and family to drive something other than a Ford. When others drive a Ford and their Ford requires a trip to the dealer, they feel the need to call me. When they drive something other than a Ford and their vehicle is at the dealership, I don't get the call. My owning a Ford does not guarantee that every other Ford on the planet will not require an occasional trip back to the dealership.

bruce...

Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 AM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I agree Justin. We are clearly the exception, not the rule here. I'm not brand loyal in any way and the next time around, if one of the other two trucks looked better and had the features/performance I wanted, I'd go for it. I'd still post here though...
I just traded a 2006 Chev Duramax/Allison dually for a Ford F-350. I had no problems with the Chevy at all--it did the job the way it was supposed to. When it came time to look for a new truck, Ford had the features I needed and liked. And the best feature of all was my wife liked it better than the new GM products!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
I had the philosophy that if one manufacturer or another sucked so bad.... they wouldn't be around any more. They would go out of business.

Well, the bail outs and buy outs of GM and Dodge proved that wrong! LOL!!

I'm a Ford guy. Born and raised on Fords.

But I have also owned three Dodge trucks - a 1993 Dakota V8, a 1998 Durango 4x4 V8, and a 2002 Dakota R/T V8.

All three were good vehicles.

But I wound up back with Fords.

I have never OWNED a Chevy. But unfortunately.... my employers buys them.

Fortunately though ....... they give them to me to drive for free with free gas / insurance / maintenance / etc.....

So, as much as I hate to admit it..... I drive a Chevy every day.

Keeps the mileage and wear and tear of daily driving and Houston traffic off my SuperDuty though!

Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what we've seen is that the ability to get easier power out of a cummins or d-max in the early 2000's led to a lot of the younger crowd picking them, and there's a lot of pride and ego involved.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Bugize
Senior User
I was once a diehard chevy guy. I had some family that ran Fords,along with friends and coworkers. I put up with the little things like, slightly warped rotors,body rattles..shaky front ends. No driveline issues though. Then I bought a new z71 crew cab in 05....front end was junk and they wouldn't fix it cause THEY couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Was getting ready to put a third set of tires on it at 55K miles, I am **** about pressure and rotation....so it wasn't me. I said screw it, after 2 yrs I bought an 07 f150....and didn't have to put up with those little nucenses and stuff. Been a Ford guy ever since... Except for also having a Honda car as well. This Sept I traded a Ranger and the Accord for a 2014 F350 6.7 PS. And love it. My daughters each bought chevys on the persistence of their mother...nothing but junk. So now they each are anti chevy too....lol. My brother and I and a couple of our uncles,will always be Ford guys....they seem to hold up better in the chassis dept

Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Great topic!

I find it hilarious most forum members bash anything that is not whats on the forum...this is pretty standard. I grew up around all GM products I have owned 4 GM trucks one being a loaded Dmax and another being a Denali. I did love those trucks but I always had a desire for the Super Duty. When I bought my SD i did get teased by my family but in a joking way so its all laughs. However I do have some friends that are so one sided and brand loyalist which I think is dumb as hell!

I buy whatever I like and do not hate any brand in particular just some things I like better than others. I have 2 corvettes a 2012 and a 1969 and also a 1987 Buick GN. I do have friends that are hard core vette guys, nothing is better than a vette and I have GN buddies that think its the greatest car in the world and is the fastest thing on the road. Sometimes I laugh at their comments and other times I wish I had a mute button. As a matter of fact I just saw a post where a guy just sold his '87 GN and bough a bad *** early 2000's Cobra and boy did he get trashed by the Buick guys. I simply gave the guy a complement on his purchase and told him to have fun!

My brother in laws are very much hard core GM and anything other sucks....I just dont get it and have never been this way. This is by the far the most open forum I am on....I have seen some die hard Ford guys that bash GM and Ram but you always have them and ones like that no matter what forum!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
1. In the last 10 years or so, GM's seats do NOT fit my old azz.......uncomfortable as hades after about 30-45 minutes sitting in one!
2. I bought a brand new GMC, top of the line, 6.2 Diesel in 1983, and got hung out to dry by GM warranty service
Pretty hard to go back and even look!!

But with that, it is the competition between these trucks that keeps us, the consumer, in great trucks!!

Quick Reply: Ford vs GM....what a difference