Offenhauser C source?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 02:04 PM
MattEich
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offenhauser C source?

Found that the stock intake (stock carb) on my new 78 has two broken off bolts in it.

Bummer.

Once I get it off I'm going to take it to Napa's machine shop and see if they can get them out. In the mean time, Offenhauser's backordered until October 2016, bummer. I've been scanvenging.Any one else have and idea of where to get one? I've seen the cliffords, but for $100 more.

Any ideas on remedying this situation? I have the coolant heat plate that I'd like to go on with those bolts.

I'm thinking about welding a nut onto the one thats sticking out, and drilling the lower one, welding a rod with a nut and giving that a shot.

Thing is, one of the ears on the intake is broken off too, where one of the bolts go. Not super psyched to have to replace all the exhaust, and an intake and a carb- I'm reading that the clifford and offenhauser only work with 2 bbl at least.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:40 PM
MattEich
Junior User
Old 10-25-2015, 09:34 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I have success welding nuts - to both protruding and recessed studs. The weld heat seems to break the stud free. You may have to repeat the process when the nuts shear off. Keep trying.

Why not just find another manifold? A stocker with a broken tab is hardly worth messing with.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:05 PM
MattEich
Junior User
I think I just found me an offenhauser, its ordered but I'll call in thte morning to make sure they have it in stock.

Desperate times for them things it seems.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 PM
MattEich
Junior User
I am correct in saying that this intake wont work with the stock carb correct?

I'm new here, obviously. It's hard sifting through all the good info to find what was changed out of necessity and what was just because they were able. Just read through the summit carb thread thats like 12 pages long.... seems like summit doesn't make them anymore ha ha.

I also happened upon mention of an adapter for the C series, but the place I ordered from doesnt have it listed, and I'm not even sure if I need it. Round and round we go. Time to go read some more carb/offy threads. I'm just looking for a decent easily adjustable carb so I can get driving this thing. Would love if the stock one would work for now.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MattEich
I am correct in saying that this intake wont work with the stock carb correct?

I'm new here, obviously. It's hard sifting through all the good info to find what was changed out of necessity and what was just because they were able. Just read through the summit carb thread thats like 12 pages long.... seems like summit doesn't make them anymore ha ha.

I also happened upon mention of an adapter for the C series, but the place I ordered from doesnt have it listed, and I'm not even sure if I need it. Round and round we go. Time to go read some more carb/offy threads. I'm just looking for a decent easily adjustable carb so I can get driving this thing. Would love if the stock one would work for now.
The offenhauser C-series intake is a 4V intake. So are all the available aftermarket intakes currently being sold unless you go with a multi-carb intake. So if you want to run your stock 1V carb on the Offy intake you will either have to make an adapter out of a piece of aluminum or steel plate. Or run two store bought adapters. You'll need a 4V to 2V adapter and then a 2V to 1V adapter.

The only reason to buy an Offenhauser intake is to upgrade the engine. If you want to keep your stock carb why not just find another stock intake. Look on ebay. You can find used stock intakes or even brand new stock intakes for a lot less money then even a used Offenhauser.

Here's a used one for $50.00. Ford 240 300 Inline 6 Intake 1BBL Stock No Chips or Cracks | eBay

Or a new stock one for $130.00.

300 Ford Van Bronco Intake Manifold New | eBay

Hell I've even got a stock one I'd sell for $35.00. But shipping wouldn't be all that cheap. I have no clue where you are located.

If you want a simple reliable carb to swap onto an Offy intake look for a Autolite 2100 2V carb. It's about the simplest carb you can get. They came on Ford V8's in the 60's. Or you also have the Motorcraft 2150 2V carbs that came on the Ford V8's in the 70's. They are a little more complicated then the 2100's ( not much more though ) . These are both used carbs so they will need be rebuilt unless you spend a bunch of money buying one from a specialty carb rebuilder.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 AM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
GI've me five months to get stateside and I'll sell us my Clifford with water plumbing. I ordered it last July and had it before August. I like it. It's well built and way better then the dp offy I had. Plus the heated tubes is so much nicer then building a plate and such when you don't have a welder...

Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
I have had to remove such a bolt on one of my intakes. Used a combination of:
pblaster;
heat;
good set of vice grips.
If it broke off even with the top, drilling them out is not too bad of a task (depends out rusty).
If I remember correctly, you only have one stud in the intake, the short, outer stud for joining the two manifolds. The other two studs are in the exhaust manifold and they pass through the intake with nuts on top.
I must be missing something.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 AM
MattEich
Junior User
Hey Ford, I would buy that one from you. I'll send you a priovate message.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 AM
MattEich
Junior User
Dylan, I sent you a message.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Jeremy Kamutzki
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I, too am wondering about a source for these. I'm in Canada, and in the last 3 months I haven't found a single one used on kijiji, and none on ebay in canada. Only two I found were from california. I know I can get it from summit, but between shipping, exchange, and customs, it's gonna be a killer price increase. Anyone know where to get one in Canada?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:08 PM
bmwcarl
Senior User
It seems that Summit gets batches of a few of them a couple of times per year. I bought one from Summit last time it popped up on ebay over the summer. I would suspect they'll have another group available sometime soon.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwcarl
It seems that Summit gets batches of a few of them a couple of times per year. I bought one from Summit last time it popped up on ebay over the summer. I would suspect they'll have another group available sometime soon.
X2 The last time I looked Summit had on their site that the Offy C's weren't available for 8 months. About a month or so later they popped up.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:09 AM
MattEich
Junior User
Thanks fellas.