lifted truck and a 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 AM
alexleblanc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I though I was nuts for having my unit lifted 1" by having the springs put on the highest setting of the factory spring perches to level out my rig!

Old 11-08-2015, 08:21 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by KW7DSP
P.S. That side mounted ladder may put you over the eight feet width allowed in most states. The builders don't think about that but a local State cop with a ******** will. You may want to measure it. Washing State has been know to issue citations for tow mirrors over 8 feet unless the rig had a wide load permit. The article I read noted that Indiana has also issued citations for wide tow mirrors over 8 feet.
DOT reg is 101", 8 1/2' and "appurtenances" are not included, e.g. ladders, awnings, mirrors etc. Regs also require you to be able to see, so that usually means a mirror that sticks out further then the trailer.

Every Ford Super Duty currently made has a standard width of 104.9" - 8' 9", with standard mirrors.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:30 AM
8ball1974
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't done anything to it.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:25 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
From your pictures first I will give you credit for at least lifting the trailer the only "correct" way. That said you have created a more dangerous situation than the original because of the raised center of gravity, will it come back and bite you? Maybe, maybe not. One thing that would help is adding skirting to the bottom of the trailer, like the newer big rigs are running, that would at least help keep the wind from pushing you around when it gets under the trailer and tries to actually lift it. Not a perfect solution but it would help. Another consideration is that running the stiffest sidewall tires you can find will also help to keep everything steady. I have close to 5 million miles over the road doing heavy/wide and over height loads and I would NOT drive your rig!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,473 Likes on 2,857 Posts
Offering a helping hand, rotated the picture.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:34 AM
8ball1974
New User
Originally Posted by Sous
Offering a helping hand, rotated the picture.

LOL Thanks, did not notice that till now.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Smokestacks
New User
Off topic but relevant to the work you did

Originally Posted by riggermortis
I know this has been covered, and I know it's been done. I have a 04 f350 with a 4 inch lift in the rear and air bags and 6 inch springs in the front and 37's. I just bought a 5th wheel toy hauler and the axles have been flipped already, but with it hooked up to the truck it still sits like 10 inches nose high. So what I'm looking for is pictures of what you did to your trailers and how much you added, and how much is too much nose up.

2 questions how's the rig holding up since you raised it? Would it be possible given the frame structure of your trailer to install a receiver hitch to the rear to tandem tow?
Im currently trying to by your same trailer but it's out of state and it's an old guy who is no help what so ever in getting info out of. Just thought I'd try this route befor I make the drive and waste time.
Thanks in advance
Ty

Old 10-25-2016, 05:25 PM
riggermortis
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Smokestacks
2 questions how's the rig holding up since you raised it? Would it be possible given the frame structure of your trailer to install a receiver hitch to the rear to tandem tow?
Im currently trying to by your same trailer but it's out of state and it's an old guy who is no help what so ever in getting info out of. Just thought I'd try this route befor I make the drive and waste time.
Thanks in advance
Ty
So far it pulls nice, I have taken it on close to a dozen trips this year, with that being said I will say again that I don't tow over 60 or 65 mph, I have also always had the water tank full or close to, and I did put some good load range E truck/suv tires on it. As far as a receiver on the rear, the spare tire is mounted all the way to the back so you would have to modify it or do away with having it mounted there all together. The frame rails do extend all the way to the back of the trailer so it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a hitch, as long as you are willing to modify/move the spare. Hope that helps

Old 10-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,658 Posts
Originally Posted by KW7DSP
P.S. That side mounted ladder may put you over the eight feet width allowed in most states. The builders don't think about that but a local State cop with a ******** will. You may want to measure it. Washing State has been know to issue citations for tow mirrors over 8 feet unless the rig had a wide load permit. The article I read noted that Indiana has also issued citations for wide tow mirrors over 8 feet.
Washington, or any other state can kiss my rosy red...........

Here is the Fed. Statement on this matter
LENGTH AND WIDTH EXCLUSIVE DEVICES
States must allow certain devices to extend beyond the 2.6 m (102-inch) width limit of CMVs on the NN and reasonable access routes. These include rear-view mirrors, turn signal lamps, handholds for cab entry/egress, splash and spray suppressant devices, and load-induced tire bulge. Also excluded are non-property carrying devices that do not extend more than 3 inches beyond each side of the vehicle.

Devices excluded from the measurement of the length include 1) those needed for loading or unloading that do not extend more than 24 inches beyond the rear of the vehicle; 2) resilient bumpers that do not extend more than 6 inches beyond the front or rear of the vehicles; 3) aerodynamic devices that do not extend more than 5 feet beyond the rear of the vehicle, provided they do not have the strength, rigidity, or mass to damage a vehicle or injure a passenger in a vehicle that strikes a trailer so equipped from the rear, and do not obscure tail lamps, turn signals, marker lamps, identification lamps, or any other required safety devices, such as hazardous materials placards or conspicuity markings; and 4) non-property carrying devices that do not extend more than 3 inches beyond the rear of the vehicle. All devices at the front of a semitrailer or trailer are excluded from the measurement of length. Tarping systems for open top trailers or semitrailers are excluded provided no part of the system extends more than 3 inches from the sides or back of the vehicle. For more details on these exclusions, see 23 CFR 658.16 and appendix D to 23 CFR 658.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:12 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,658 Posts
Oops!!!!! Thread resurrection!!!😎😎

Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Smokestacks
New User
Originally Posted by riggermortis
So far it pulls nice, I have taken it on close to a dozen trips this year, with that being said I will say again that I don't tow over 60 or 65 mph, I have also always had the water tank full or close to, and I did put some good load range E truck/suv tires on it. As far as a receiver on the rear, the spare tire is mounted all the way to the back so you would have to modify it or do away with having it mounted there all together. The frame rails do extend all the way to the back of the trailer so it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a hitch, as long as you are willing to modify/move the spare. Hope that helps

helps a ton thanks