1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Ltsgarage
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackster1
Picked up a cold this week so not a lot going on. Pressure washed the frontend last night in prep for getting it under the truck, degreased it and washed again, it looks good, I would not say great though.

Ordered all my rear suspension for the truck and hope it all works. BMR adjustable lower control arms, BMR adjustable upper link and BMR adjustable track bar. All for a 2012 mustang so the plan is to keep the three link with the panhard bar and do coilovers in the rear. My initial measurements show me that it might work. Also ordered the Naake double adjustable coilovers for the front.

Finally stopped being a wuus and drilled the holes in my frame for the locate pins on the frontend.

Attachment 197521

It went right on, pins lined right up on the holes I drilled. Marked out the four mounting holes and got to drilling. Cut my sleeves and prepped it all. Ready to weld it all out tomorrow night or saturday.

Attachment 197522
why crown vic?
Why not run the Jaguar XJS suspension?
when I heard from you about the 4.6 wiring harness on the other forum. I thought you were talking about the crown Vic motor not the coyote motor. In my post on the other forum. I was talking about what it cost to do a Coyote motor. I always want a automatic transmission in my trucks. When you go automatic transmission then you need the other wiring harness also. When I said 4.6. I was talking the crown vic 4.6. Change out the manifold to a carburator. Then buy an after market fuel injection. The motor transmission with all of this will set you back maybe $4,000 dollars. Thats including the complete crown vic. So if you want to go with the much wider crown vic front end. Just tear it out of the car.
I prefer the Jaguar independent suspension front & rear.
I'm installing both in my 1973 Ford F100

Last edited by Ltsgarage; 05-03-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While we were up at a track day a few months ago, I ran into a fellow named Ed. He was super stoked on the truck and said if I ever wanted to sell it get ahold of him. I wasnt really in any place at the time to sell it and you never know if someone is serious. This past weekend I did a track day at the Ridge, followed by Friday and Saturday nights at Good Guys Puyallup.

I ran into Ed on Saturday and he asked if I was ready to sell it and the timing in life just seemed right. I said yes, we settled on a number and setup a time for the swap to take place.

He showed up in his bad *** tow rig and trailer. We went over a few things on the truck, swapped $$$ for a bad *** pickup and off we went on our separate ways.

Its an 08, he bought new and has 8,000 miles on it. Its a beautiful setup.

Last few pics of the truck.

And just like that its loaded up and headed to its new home.

Ed is an instructor for HOD and plans on tracking the truck which is super cool.

I have had a bumpside in my garage for what 7 years now, it does seem a little weird to not have one. Its even more weird to not have anything cool to drive around.

My life has changed a bunch since I started these build threads on here. I am living in a different town, I work a **** ton more than I used to and I drive more than ever for work.

I want to thank every single person that has helped me from this forum over the years, I have met some amazing people and learned so much about my craft with the three build threads I had on here. There are some amazingly talented folks here.

This truck took us places we never thought we would be, Vegas, numerous times, California a bunch, SEMA, and got me into track days something I am addicted to now.

So, off we go onto the next chapter in life, bumpless.

I hope that the last few years of builds have helped at least a few people out over the years, I often go back and read through it when I have some downtime to remember just how much I have learned along the way.

Keep your eyes peeled for the new project somewhere around the west coast and say hi if you ever see me.

Cheers!!!

Sean

Old 08-06-2018, 04:53 AM
Xchamp
Senior User
Had to be a tough day! Thanks for everything shared on this project. Your project was the one that got me started on my coyote swap! I used a lot of your knowledge and ideas on my project which is just about complete. Thanks again for contributions and good luck in the future!!

Todd

Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats and sad all at the same time. I do know for myself that I reference this thread many times to learn and use pieces for my 57 build, so thank you for sharing it and taking all the time to post and update it for us to gleen. Ed is getting a great truck and you should be more than proud at how well the truck turned out and that we all value your car/truck building skills. You are a very good builder in my mind and my hat goes off to you. Enjoy that volvo, I'm sure that truck is not your last bumpside, and one thing I do know is toys and stages in life come ad go which is okay as it means you get to enjoy many different builds and lifestyles that come along with that. On to the next stage...

Take Care D.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 AM
skipmiester
New User
Many thanks for sharing this adventure with they rest of us "vintage" truck hotrod enthusiast!!!!! Great build and lots and lots of great solutions to the problems you encounter with a complex build like this one!

Be sure to share the Volvo build! That one will be a real sleeper!

Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 AM
vicp21
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really enjoyed this build. Fun to watch and lots of great info. Good luck with the Volvo. Where can we find that build?

Old 08-06-2018, 07:06 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Sorry to hear of it's sale but glad you popped in to tell us. You have amazing talent Sean. It was a lot of fun watching your projects come to fruition. Please don't stay a stranger. Pop in when you can. I know I can speak for all of us in the Bumpside Kingdom. We are just waiting for the time you want a Bumpside again. AND build it!

Old 08-07-2018, 03:26 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
All that great fab knowledge can't be held back! You'll start on another project sometime in the future. I look forward to seeing it too!!!!! Best of luck.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:59 AM
1320stang
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
While not a Volvo guy, is that build on a forum somewhere? I'd like to follow it as well.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Ltsgarage
Senior User
I didn't get to see any of your builds. I'm doing a 73 bump right now myself. I'm putting all Jaguar XJS suspension under it. I was really undecided about what motor yo install. I started out wanting a coyote motor. Found the motor, trans, harnesses. This set up alone was a very expensive way to go.. So, for now I'm just building up the motor I have. Strip it back down to just a short block aluminum heads, I take, cam, lifters, roller rockers. It already has headers on it. 90% of this motor stuff I can sell down the road. If or when I want to go back and install a Coyote motor . Build up a complete system in my shop. Make sure I have everything sitting there actually bolted together. Then it will be pretty easy to pull everything out of my truck and retro fit the Coyote into my bump.
. What part of California do you find the track says? I don't seem to find any in northern California? I do have Sonoma raceway not to far away but I would like to find some of the parking lot or airport type of racing. There use to be several held in some of the parking lots and Santa Rosa Airport. I ran my 3 Acura NSX's in these a lot! Now that I'm looking to find some that will run trucks an the bigger vehicles. I don't seem to find anything ?
. ANYONE?
PS.
Where can I find your three threads on your builds?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Ltsgarage
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1320stang
While not a Volvo guy, is that build on a forum somewhere? I'd like to follow it as well.
I agree. Can we find the Volvo forum anywhere? I'd like to follow it because of the Coyote motor

Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltsgarage
PS.
Where can I find your three threads on your builds?
Go up to his post #722
Click on "Hackster1"
Click on "view public profile".
Click on "statistics"
Click on "find all threads started by Hackster1".

Old 08-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Aardvarks
New User
Sold!

Sean, I'm conflicted. It's awesome that you sold the truck without even wanting to, that's a testiment to your skill and quality of your builds for sure. Add in the fact that the guy is a driving instructor and it's off the charts.
​​​​​​I kept hoping that I'd see you on the road around Eugene /Salem and I'd be able to flag you down, but that seems less likely now, lol.
​​​​ I'll watch it for your new build on the volvo forums. Seriously though, I'd love to swing by with some beer and watch/help your projects sometime.
Like the others have said, thank you for all you posts and advice, take care, and stay in touch.
-Ryan

Old 09-09-2019, 12:15 PM
jason8374
Junior User
Wheel specs.

Sean.

What wheel setup were were you using front and rear? I’m trying to do a similar wheel look. My current wheels hit when I turn. And I don’t want to go down the road of trying to shorten the crown Vic suspension. I’ll just have to sell the boss 338s. Didn’t even get to drive her yet lol. Appreciate any help.

Jason

Old 09-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jason8374
Sean.

What wheel setup were were you using front and rear? I’m trying to do a similar wheel look. My current wheels hit when I turn. And I don’t want to go down the road of trying to shorten the crown Vic suspension. I’ll just have to sell the boss 338s. Didn’t even get to drive her yet lol. Appreciate any help.

Jason
Great looking truck!!!

So offset/backspacing on these trucks with the Crown Vic really seems to be a hot topic, I get lots and lots of people asking about the wheels.

Keep in mind I am s550 8.8 in the rear. I did this for 2 reasons, to get track width close to the front and get the wheel mounting surface farther out for wider shock placement and hopefully better handling.

I found that with my particular setup 7.15" backspace on an 18" wheel was as much as I could get away with. This lets the front wheel just touch the sway bar at full lock. In my opinion that is exactly where I want it to get the max width I can. I was running an 18x11.

However let it be known I was not at all afraid to roll and stretch the front fenders to make the wheels and tires fit. 295/40r18 square setup.

Rears were the same 7.15" backspace on an 11" Wheel. We added some extra hat height on the front to get a little bit of stagger and add brake clearance on the wheels.

These were custom built to specifically fit the truck.

Hit me up with any questions I can help with.

Sean

Quick Reply: Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread