Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:52 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Not deserving? Everyone is.
There's always hope! I get inspired by builds like this although don't have the skill that's shown by many. I do love the bumps, but also looking at older trucks too. Until then, my Bullnose models will have to do.

Sorry about the dig, but the inner Johnny Carson in me couldn't help making an observation

Old 09-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fljab
I do love the bumps, but also looking at older trucks too. Until then, my Bullnose models will have to do.
Have to do?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Bay0726
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Hackster, you've given me some great ideas. I'm doing the same build, but building it on a 1966 F100. What did you end up doing about the motor mounts, did you end up using the CV mounts or changing the oil pan? I was researching when I found your thread. I love the truck, it just makes me want to get mine done that much sooner!!! Bernie

Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Have to do?

Oh, so NOW you show up! I hadn't seen you post as you've been busy with the reunion and that "other" Bullnose forum. Geez, just when I try and squeeze in an other than Bullnose comment............... LoL

Old 09-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Oh, so NOW you show up! I hadn't seen you post as you've been busy with the reunion and that "other" Bullnose forum. Geez, just when I try and squeeze in an other than Bullnose comment............... LoL
I read the mail.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bay0726
Thanks Hackster, you've given me some great ideas. I'm doing the same build, but building it on a 1966 F100. What did you end up doing about the motor mounts, did you end up using the CV mounts or changing the oil pan? I was researching when I found your thread. I love the truck, it just makes me want to get mine done that much sooner!!! Bernie

Thank you, On my truck I built some spacers for the crown vic mounts as it puts the motor in the wrong place. I believe my spacers also moved the motor back 2.5" as well.

The next truck I built my own mounts and its 100 times cleaner and better in every way. The crown vic motor mount has to be ground to get the starter in
and although it works, some tube, plate and leaf spring bushings are so clean and easy and you get the motor where it needs to go and build mounts for it there.

I will never mess around with stock mounts again, its just not worth it.

Thanks for the props, truck looks pretty cool, should be a hoot when its on the road, buy some stock in tires, you are going to need them =)

Sean

Old 09-05-2017, 07:35 AM
golfmiser
Freshman User
Hang in there Hackster. As you can see you have a crew that looks forward to keeping up with your builds. I'm sure a lot of people on here are like me and are subscribed to your builds. We look forward to seeing the Hackster's name in our e-mail folder with the latest updates. We're praying for a speedy recovery.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts fellas.

I am healing up finally, no signs of infection and I am off of the antibiotics and the Infection Doc has high hopes I am out of the water, he said really it will take until after the new year to really be safe.

Recovery has been a bitch though, PT 2 days a week has been rough but getting better. I can walk pretty normally and my knee has about 110 degrees range of motion....it is pretty good in the knee repair world.

I have sold the dirtbike and given that up for safer hobbies like my pedal bikes.

I was finally able to get the old F100 out and drive it a few weeks ago, still amazed at how fast the truck is. Went to a suspension setup seminar and an autocross test and tune and was having a blast. Truck worked really well and my fast times were up there with the quicker cars of the day. I am learning to drive fast....its a long road to get there but I am getting there.

Its the rainy season here so truck is put away on the crappy days. I am thinking this winter will be a break from cars, mostly to keep up with the healing process and get some miles on the bike.

Maybe Ill get some pics up to brighten this page up.

Sean

Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Slow as you go there big fella. Healing correctly is most important. The less that knee hurts when you get to be my age, the better.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:26 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Bike as in bicycle or motorcycle? I've had motorcycles for yrs (since I was 9 or so) and do a fair share of long distance. But I like to just "putt" sometimes like today.

Hope you heal up OK. Knees are a bad injury and can plague you for yrs, so pay attention to the Doc and therapist!

Old 10-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Slow as you go there big fella. Healing correctly is most important. The less that knee hurts when you get to be my age, the better.
Oh I know....I have been doing a good job of slow healing. I dont want to be a wreck when I am older.

Bike as in bicycle or motorcycle? I've had motorcycles for yrs (since I was 9 or so) and do a fair share of long distance. But I like to just "putt" sometimes like today.

Hope you heal up OK. Knees are a bad injury and can plague you for yrs, so pay attention to the Doc and therapist!
I have been riding motorcycles since I was 3 1/2 years old have had a number of tumbles over the years but nothing this bad. Had been doing a lot of technical trail riding the past 2 years and had been getting pretty damn quick. Had a couple of light wrecks but this one was the one that did the damage, needless to say, I am going to keep to some light trail riding and dual sporting now. No more rocky nasty technical stuff....even though I was enjoying it.

I am still recovering but walking pretty well, riding the spin bike too so that is good.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement peeps.

Sean

Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
I'm in Florida now, but lived in So Cal for a number of yrs. I used to love going to the desert with big bore bikes and sand paddles, or big knobbies for the rocky/more technical trails depending on where we went. I moved to FL for work and had a 2 stroke CR500, which was too much for the tight trails here. I finally gave up trail riding 20ish yrs ago.

I've had all kinds of bikes over the yrs and looking now to sell a couple of them in favor of an adventure bike, probably either a Super Tenere or a GSA. Something that will handle the interstate to get me where I'm going, then do the fire roads better in places like the AlCan or other locations out west mainly.

I'm old and slow these days; if I did get another trail bike, it would be something like a Yamaha XT250. No hot rod, just decent trail riding where I choose to take it. They've closed a lot of the good areas around me but there are places to go here and there if you look.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:48 PM
1320stang
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sean, I just saw this build on a YouTube channel called Hand Built Cars.

Did you know about this? Seems like they're trying to make a buck off you to me.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:15 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320stang
Sean, I just saw this build on a YouTube channel called Hand Built Cars.

Did you know about this? Seems like they're trying to make a buck off you to me.
@ 6m17s they ripped off a photo of my work --you can even see the inline 240 in that shot. The modern MC, booster and plumbing shown is the work I did putting that setup in my (dark green) '69 F100 short bed Ranger. That photo has nothing to do with Hackster's white truck.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 PM
scj70
New User
Hackster1, what did the front end come from you used?

Quick Reply: Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread