1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackster1
I know its specific, but I cannot figure out what the difference is in the rack....Do you happy to know exactly what the difference is? I know they bolt in the same...

Curious if you know since you are in the world all day long.

Sean
I couldn't tell Sean since Ford doesn't list any internal parts separate like back in the day. They only sell them complete. But I found this on a Marauder forum.

The MM uses a unique rack due to the ratio of the gearing. Ford has re-manufactured units that list for $490. May be able to get it about $400-430 if the parts dept wants to be competitive. This is the complete unit with a new actuator installed, minus the outter tie rod ends (Not a bad time to get new ones it you have a lot of miles on the car).

Part # is: 3W1Z-3504-GARM (the RM suffix should mean re-manufactured). Also you need two new O-rings for the lines. Small one is part #N803256-S and the larger one is #N803257-S. These are really standard thin O-rings. No matter what anyone tells you, replace the O-rings or they will soon leak.

Buyer beware...The reman units sold by parts houses may or may not have the actuator installed. The actuator is a common spot for leaks by the way, along with the O-rings. Some parts houses are also listing the rack as fitting the MM but it is a standard CV/GM one. They will physically fit, but you get a different ratio in the gearing.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Hackster1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
I couldn't tell Sean since Ford doesn't list any internal parts separate like back in the day. They only sell them complete. But I found this on a Marauder forum.

The MM uses a unique rack due to the ratio of the gearing. Ford has re-manufactured units that list for $490. May be able to get it about $400-430 if the parts dept wants to be competitive. This is the complete unit with a new actuator installed, minus the outter tie rod ends (Not a bad time to get new ones it you have a lot of miles on the car).

Part # is: 3W1Z-3504-GARM (the RM suffix should mean re-manufactured). Also you need two new O-rings for the lines. Small one is part #N803256-S and the larger one is #N803257-S. These are really standard thin O-rings. No matter what anyone tells you, replace the O-rings or they will soon leak.

Buyer beware...The reman units sold by parts houses may or may not have the actuator installed. The actuator is a common spot for leaks by the way, along with the O-rings. Some parts houses are also listing the rack as fitting the MM but it is a standard CV/GM one. They will physically fit, but you get a different ratio in the gearing.
Excellent Information.....I had ordered in one of the parts store racks for the marauder and exactly as you indicated, no actuator was included and I was really not interested in messing with that whole deal again.

Ill do some digging on the rack locally and thanks for the notes on the O rings. Great info.

Poke Em- I agree with you about the solenoid and read through a couple of folks that ran into that problem after a while of just hooking switched 12 volts to it.

I have the potentiometer on order, will be here tomorrow.

fljab- That is actually how the factory setup works believe it or not, pretty simple logic as well, given input from the speed sensor, results in a given output to the rack actuator.

I liked how it drove with the actuator hooked up, smooth and easy. I think that ill just do the **** though, I like being able to set it as I want as far as input goes.

Ill do a little more of a write up on it when I get the parts and get them all installed.

Sean

Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
That info I posted above is from an old thread. Ford's suggested List Price is currently $572.91 plus a $300.00 core charge. So PM sent your way.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM
wotan
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it's probably more than you want to screw with at the moment, but I think it would be easy to use an arduino w/ a GPS shield to modulate the pwm. That would be the next upgrade if you get sick of fiddling with a ****.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wotan
I know it's probably more than you want to screw with at the moment, but I think it would be easy to use an arduino w/ a GPS shield to modulate the pwm. That would be the next upgrade if you get sick of fiddling with a ****.
Isn't there a vehicle speed sensor output on the truck given the later tranny? Why not just interface the Arduino to that to give a speed-sensitive pulse?

Old 04-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by wotan
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Isn't there a vehicle speed sensor output on the truck given the later tranny? Why not just interface the Arduino to that to give a speed-sensitive pulse?
First off, Wotan....that little arduino is a bad *** little piece, I need to figure out a little more on that one cause it seems like it would be pretty easy.

So, I messed around with the truck a little over the weekend while my nephew was in town.

Finally got around to getting a bigger ADDCO Sway bar installed, fit was great and no issues, corners quite a bit flatter now, cannot wait to get back on the track and see how it does.

Also got the PWM Module in the truck for the steering solenoid.

Talk about a killer little piece for $6.99 off Amazon.

It took longer to get the switched 12 volts to it and get a mounting bracket made than anything else.

Its super simple, switched 12v to one side, out to the Solenoid for the steering rack on the other, mount the **** and go steer.

I must say, this is one of the best things I have done to the truck yet. It steers so much better into and out of driveways and parking lots. I did not realize how hard it was to steer until I got it ironed out.

Getting ready to order up another set of tires, these ones still have a fair bit of life on them, but I believe I can be a lot more competitive in the autocross on a tire that is less than 10 year old technology.

Some more power is in the works as well, but thats going to need to wait a little while.

One more thing, if you are pondering the coyote swap ever, use the GATES heater hose connectors, the Dorman ones are physically the right size but the Oring is incorrrect and will leak. I have gone through 4 of them before I figured out what the issues was and only learned that because of the F-150 forums.

Out hauling some plumbing tools around yesterday, maybe the fastest plumbing service truck around?

Name:  20170410_195508_zpszo7iflic.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  4.63 MB

Happy Tuesday peeps

Old 04-11-2017, 04:16 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
The Speedy Plumber with no Trip/Travel charge. The Trip is all the fun!
"We get there quicker than the time it takes to run your credit card".

Old 08-25-2017, 12:21 PM
shearjs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hackster,

I've read through all of your build threads, and there's some mighty impressive work and ingenuity! After sticking both LS and Coyote in a F100, is there one you'd recommend over the other? I have a 54 F100 that's in need of a makeover and I'd love to go modern. I'm familiar with the LS but very new on the Coyote. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:54 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Any updates there hoss?

Last edited by hivoltj; 08-26-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 08-31-2017, 10:39 PM
Hackster1
Senior User
Originally Posted by shearjs
Hackster,

I've read through all of your build threads, and there's some mighty impressive work and ingenuity! After sticking both LS and Coyote in a F100, is there one you'd recommend over the other? I have a 54 F100 that's in need of a makeover and I'd love to go modern. I'm familiar with the LS but very new on the Coyote. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work!
Thank you for the compliments on my builds, I keep learning on everything I build. If its a budget build and you are not opposed to built for tough with chevy stuff........do the LS. They are great modern motors, still simple single cam engines, parts are cheap and everywhere, literally.

If the budget is not as much of a concern and you want a truly awesome power plant go with the coyote, they are easy enough to get to run but far more expensive, everything for the coyote is going to be more expensive, accessories, clutch, transmission options are less and more expensive. Fuel system and cooling are about the same.

I love my coyote, its awesome, makes great power, I have beat on it, rev limiter shifts at 120 mph on a 106 degree day and its never given me a single problem. Its a great looking engine as well.

Originally Posted by hivoltj
Any updates there hoss?
Sorry I have been so MIA lately fellas. I had a motorcycle accident two months ago and destroyed my left knee, meniscus, ACL and fractured the plateau on my tibia. I had surgery a month ago to repair all of the damage and was on the road to recovery until the pain started to get worse. Last Tuesday they took me in the hospital for emergency surgery and opened me back up to clean out my knee joint as the joint and entire knee pocket had become infected. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life, I was in so much pain that my speech had started to get impacted, I was literally white as a ghost and had not eaten in days, maybe a week.

SO they opened me up cleaned out my knee joint and got me on some horrible antibiotics. I spent the next week in the hospital with drain tubes coming out of my knee, IV's meeting with surgeons and infectious disease doctors.

I am home now recovering, performing my own IV Antibiotics 3 times a day, on pain medicine and feeling like general hell.

I am on the mend though, there is much less pain and swelling in my knee, now I am dealing with the antibiotics and medicine side effects, being super tired and normal knee recovery.

I am torn on what the winter project will be, I really want to build more of a track focused rig, but I also want bigger tires and more power on the old F100

This summer has been really rough, I am lucky to have such a supportive and helpful wife, she has been amazing through all this as there was some tough moments.

Typing this has me more motivated to work on the truck and order up some parts.

Sean

Old 09-01-2017, 02:10 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the cycle crash. My son had about the same thing happen. One of the metal pins in his leg stated coming out and got infected. He had to start all over too. He had to give up riding the bike. Our prayers are with you and your family while you recover. -Just glad it wasn't worse-

Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sean, sorry to hear about the accident and it's after effects. I am a life long motorcyclist and know the dangers. Best to you and hope you're on the road to recovery. Those doctors will keep you on meds the rest of your life if you let 'em -

Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
2X sorry to hear of your accident. I hope recovery comes to you quick now. But you never know when something so painful is actually a blessing. I personally know a young Gentleman that was a Hotshot Fire Fighter here in Arizona. My brother was seeing his Mom. So I heard this story 1st hand from him. He got in a Quad accident which really messed up his left arm. Pain, surgeries, o% movement in the beginning, etc had him bummed. Worrying if it was going to come back, missed his work, and fellow hotshots. Well, that crew took on a young newbie to take his place. A few months later that whole crew, minus the newbie, were over run by a fire and perished in Yarnell Arizona. The accident hurt big time, but, he is still alive because of it. And last I heard he is a Hotshot again on another team. Heal Sean. Love your work and Love that Wife of yours.

Fatalities[edit]

On June 30,2013, 19 firefighters with the Prescott Fire Department's interagency Granite Mountain Hotshots were overrun and killed by the fire.[14] Initial reports indicated that one of the firefighters was not a member of the hotshot crew, but Prescott Fire Chief Dan Fraijo later confirmed that all 19 were from the Granite Mountain Hotshots.[15] The firefighters had apparently deployed fire shelters, but not all of the bodies were found inside them.[16] The city of Prescott released the names of the 19 firefighters on July 1.[17]
The lone survivor from the 20-man crew was 21-year-old Brendan McDonough.[18] He had been serving as a lookout when the fire threatened to overtake his position. McDonough was about to deploy his safety shelter when he was rescued by Brian Frisby, the Superintendent of the Blue Ridge Hotshots, who was monitoring the radio communications between McDonough and the Granite Mountain IHC Captain.[14] Frisby and McDonough moved the crew's vehicles to a safer location, which they were doing at the time of Granite Mountain crew entrapment.[4][19] After moving the vehicles, Frisby and other members of the Blue Ridge Hotshots attempted to rescue the entrapped Granite Mountain Hotshots but were forced back by the intense flames and heat of the fire

Old 09-01-2017, 07:57 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
>snip> A few months later that whole crew, minus the newbie, were over run by a fire and perished in Yarnell Arizona. The accident hurt big time, but, he is still alive because of it. And last I heard he is a Hotshot again on another team. Heal Sean. Love your work and Love that Wife of yours.

Well dang, that's a warm fuzzy story about accidents and the way to be positive about it. The only thing would have topped that would be if the Ultimate Street Car guys had all got blown up by the fuel truck at the last meet Sean missed!

Not that I'm deserving of commenting on bumpside kingdom happenings, but still............

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fljab
Well dang, that's a warm fuzzy story about accidents and the way to be positive about it. The only thing would have topped that would be if the Ultimate Street Car guys had all got blown up by the fuel truck at the last meet Sean missed!

Not that I'm deserving of commenting on bumpside kingdom happenings, but still............
Not deserving? Everyone is.

Quick Reply: Hackster's F100 CV Swap, Coyote, 6 speed 3 link build thread