Sponsored by:

Hello and my 1994 Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 05:08 PM
wrx4lex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and my 1994 Bronco

Just thought I'd introduce myself and my truck. I actually joined a long time ago but only had a few posts. I'm more of a reader than poster so will say up front I probably won't post a lot unless I have a real problem I can't solve by searching the archives. I like reading about all you folks who know far more than I do about trucks - I pretty much just drive mine, and not much at that any more.

Anyway, I am the original owner of a 1994 Bronco XLT, 5.8, gray leather interior, tow package (never used), push-button transfer case with auto hubs. It has about 115,000 miles and has only been driven 200-300 per year for 8 or 10 years. I have been torn between fixing and selling, in the mean time it has been falling apart in my driveway. Finally decided since I don't drive it enough to warrant spending a ton on a new truck I would put a limited amount into it - basically going to keep it under the tax amount on a new truck.

It's pretty much original. I put the running boards on it when I first got it when my short Italian uncle complained he couldn't get in it easily. They turned out great for washing the top, too. I had a CD changer and amp put in the console but the changer no longer works and the speakers were shot (see below). The issues are a bunch of smaller things that have been adding up for years (read - I neglected to fix them when they occurred).

The good:

No rust (hey, this is California!)
No mechanical issues that I know of
Runs great/starts right up
Has always passed smog with flying colors (a big deal around here)
I still like driving it.
Low miles for a '94

Here's my list of the not-so-good I put together last week:

Gas tank sending unit works, but only if there is at least 1/4 tank
Air bag light blinks. I think it's that spring thingy behind it.
The intermittent wipers don't work - at least high/low work.
All window seals are dried out and cracked and need replacing
Front leather seats are cracked, driver seat needs re-upholstering
Driver side power window doesn't work
Back window doesn't work, stuck down a few inches
Speakers shot
Tires have good tread but getting old
One lug bolt on spare tire carrier sheered off
Paint coming off roof (metal part) and is really thin on the hood.

This weekend with help from the posts here I did the following:

Fixed driver power window. I determined the motor worked, just those 3 little bushings were gone. No real problems with the repairs and I decided to do the passenger side - good thing as it was about to go, too. While I had the door panels off I replaced the speakers with some $20 Kenwoods - now I have tunes again! I think one of the back speakers is out but not a big deal.

Then I tackled the tailgate window motor - had the same problem. I managed to unbolt it and make the repair without pulling the regulator, which I didn't really want to do since I wasn't sure about getting it all back in right. Anyway, it works great now - bring on the rain!

Next up - order the a weatherstripping set. I thought about doing those with the window motors but I have limited time and don't have a really safe place to leave the truck torn apart in case I didn't finish something.

Thanks for all the posts that have helped me so far!

Carl

Old 10-11-2015, 07:59 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Nice! I think you should hang on to it. If that's the list of issues after 20 years of California heat (that looks like socal in the background) then I consider that a pretty remarkable feat of engineering design and manufacturing. Kudos to Ford. And you, for maintaining it.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:52 PM
brocluno
Junior User
Nice truck It will prolly run to at least twice the mileage you have on it now

One of the things I do and strongly suggest is to add some additional grounds to compensate for the old semi-corroded crimp connections here and there. I add a healthy one from the throttle cable support plate on top of the manifold to the passenger side hood hinge bolt. A nice big'ish stranded wire with solder on terminals to match the fastener size. I guarantee it will help with warm-up and may fix the gage issue...

Also one from the battery negative to an alternator bolt. This will ensure that the alternator sees battery ground and will save alternator trouble down the road. Lastly I run a short one from the battery negative to one of those 6mm bolt holes in the radiator support just in front of the battery. This one helps with lights

You might consider manual locking front hubs. Allows you to motor along in low range as you explore and just lock them in when/if you get a bit stuck. Say out at Ocotillo Wells SVRA heading east off Pole Line Road towards the seeps. Great trip once we have had some rains to bring the wild flowers out and settle the dust

Have fun and enjoy

Old 10-12-2015, 05:06 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good looking bronco and I love the color. Definitely hang onto her. I am at 250k on mine and still going strong after a new transmission at 180k miles.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:53 PM
wrx4lex
New User
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually in the Bay Area, south San Jose. I decided on a couple of other things I need. The headlights are pretty bad, I may try polishing them but I've heard it doesn't last too long. May be better to just replace them. Anyone have experience with the ones from Bronco Graveyard? How about the weatherstripping kit they sell? Any good? Is it complete or do I need any other pieces?

Also, the power window/lock/mirror module on the drivers door has a problem. It has the screw holding it on the bottom but the top is popped up. Looks like there is a clip on it but I don't see anyplace for the clip to grab on to. Maybe it broke off? The passenger side has a clip that goes into a thin piece of plastic that is broken on one end, but still holds ok. Any way to fix them? If they are part of the door panel that could be a problem...

Thanks.