Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Timing chain removal

Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 AM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold
Timing chain removal

Trying to check oil galley plugs. How do I remove camshaft sprocket? A puller?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:28 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Posting Guru
Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.
Just work both gears out at the same time. They'll just come off the end. You can use screw drivers or bars. Just go easy.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Usually a puller is not required, but be sure to slide off the cam and crankshaft gear along with the chain all at the same time. If you **** a gear or the chain even a small amount it will lock up, especially with a new chain, and not come off. Sometimes it requires a little persuasion to get the crank gear started, like a large screwdriver tapped between the gear and the block. Make sure the top of the key is parallel with the crank snout.
Edit: Oops Scotty beat me to it.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:24 AM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold
They feel like they're pressed on. I'll give it another shot

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Posting Guru
Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.
They are a tight slip fit. I have never needed a puller.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
What's wrong with this picture

Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy View Post
What's wrong with this picture

No Galley Plugs= a good way to wipe out a cam, lifters and cam bearings. Might as well pull the motor and check the rear plugs as well.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
That was the first problem, I primed the oil pump and was missing in oil galley plug at the rear of the block. That led me to believe that the fronts were missing

Old 09-23-2015, 12:47 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
That was the first problem, I primed the oil pump and was missing in oil galley plug at the rear of the block. That led me to believe that the fronts were missing
who built that engine and where

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Motor came from a shop in Sacramento, CA. Rebuilt about 4 years ago. I have the paperwork on it. I need to go there and burn that place down.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:22 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Motor came from a shop in Sacramento, CA. Rebuilt about 4 years ago. I have the paperwork on it. I need to go there and burn that place down.
I live in the sac area who was it

Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
I'll post a picture of the machine shop paperwork when I get home.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:15 PM
lowtrkn2k
Elder User
lowtrkn2k is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow...must have been built on a Friday....

Old 09-23-2015, 03:38 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Shop must have really disliked the customer or were really incompetent or both.
Edit: are they still in business?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain removal

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.