Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Timing chain removal

Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold

Old 09-23-2015, 04:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
From what little detail is in the invoice, it appears a lot was to be done by Owner. The blame may not lie with the shop. Jrock, what parts are shown in the left hand side of the invoice, under the M/C slip? If galley plugs are shown...

I have to wonder why one cylinder was sleeved?

Old 09-23-2015, 04:30 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
jrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to beholdjrockdiddy is a splendid one to behold
One charge was harmonic balancer, which would make me think the machine shop installed timing cover and timing chain

Old 09-23-2015, 04:31 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Look better?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Much better! Are you going to check the bearings?

The only labor charges I see are for pure machine work. "Assy prep & tap holes etc" for $32 surely doesn't cover assembly of the whole engine.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:56 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Yes gonna check the bearings. I thought about putting a big cam in it since it's easily accessible, but I'd also have to do lifters. Also gonna pull the intake manifold to check the oil galley plug in the back

Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by schoo View Post
I live in the sac area who was it

Schoo, do u know the place?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
On that invoice I do not see a line item for assembly. I bet it was put together by the owner which would explain all the oil plugs missing. When I built engines at the speed shop some owners wanted to assemble their engine because they did not want to spend the $120 (early to mid eighties) for me to assemble it. More than once they failed to install at least one oil galley plug. Most all plug kits don't come with all the plugs needed when a competent shop removes them all for hot tanking. My shop removed them all so that you got a completely clean engine.

Based on the invoice the shop did not build the engine. Buyer beware.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:07 PM
schoo
Postmaster
schoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to beholdschoo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy View Post
Schoo, do u know the place?
No I don't know the place and I agree with the others PO assambled

Old 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
I checked rod bearings with someone that has more knowledge than me. Everything looked good and had correct bearings. I only ran the motor for a short period. Once I put everything back on, gonna prime oil pump and check pressure. If it still looks low, I'll check oil galley plug under intake manifold

Old 09-25-2015, 03:30 PM
truckeemtnfords
Postmaster
truckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud oftruckeemtnfords has much to be proud of
Sounds good but it is only 12 bolts and a gasket to pull the manifold and verify that plug is there. It would be peace of mind for me considering the obvious ones the PO did not install. Besides if it is there I bet it ain't staked. Plus if you check now you would not have to re-drain the cooling system and all the other little things that you would have to do if you find an issue later.

On another note you do not have to assemble everything to prime the pump by hand to verify oil pressure. You can do it with the timing cover, intake and valve covers off.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Update,
primed oil pump today, got 30 lbs of pressure. Getting ready to pull intake manifold. pulled a valve cover and didn't see any oil coming from rockers....Here's a quick video...

the drill is corded and puts out 3,000 RPM's..

Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by jrockdiddy View Post
Update,
primed oil pump today, got 30 lbs of pressure. Getting ready to pull intake manifold. pulled a valve cover and didn't see any oil coming from rockers....Here's a quick video...

the drill is corded and puts out 3,000 RPM's..

Oil pressure - YouTube

Old 10-05-2015, 04:50 PM
jrockdiddy
Posting Guru
Finally, capped the last missing plug and away we go!!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Posting Guru
Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.
Glad you got it done and no damage. Other than gaskets!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain removal

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.