Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Cold fast idle solenoid.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM
wils3825
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold fast idle solenoid.

So, I have a somewhat silly question. I'm trying to help a buddy find a "Cold Fast Idle Solenoid" for the injection pump of his 1984 6.9 IDI. Apparently it's the same as the one on the 7.3 IDI, but the problem remains that I cannot find one anywhere. I spent over an hour going through our computers at Oreilly with him, and we came up with nothing. Does anyone know a part number, or a place to get a new one? Anything?
Thank you.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Try here:
RockAuto Parts Catalog

OOOOPS! Not so easy as I thought. I am actually looking for it there, not certain what section it would be in.

Mine was messed up, sticking and I lubricated it and worked it manually until it started working again

Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
I used a number of different search terms there (Rock Auto) and I couldn't find it

Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
You are talking about the solenoid with little brass plunger mechanism right? The problem with mine was that it would stick on fast idle position. After I got it cleaned up/lubricated and moving easier I had to adjust it down considerably. To activate it (plunger out) you have to step on the accelerator pedal to the floor just one quick time after the ignition is turned on and before the glow plug cycle (or during glow plug cycle).

Exactly when the voltage is applied or for how long through the wire I'm not sure and I don't know how to test the voltage through that wire.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
<p>if i remember correctly the only place to find one is going to be in a junk yard.</p><p>i don't think they have been reproduced or available new for many many years.</p>

Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tjc transport
<p>if i remember correctly the only place to find one is going to be in a junk yard.</p><p>i don't think they have been reproduced or available new for many many years.</p>
Aha! Thank you for that information, Tom. We may have to rebuild these or re-manufacture them ourselves which should be relatively easy, actually.

I read, I think at Oilburners where a guy cut off the top of a GM VRV and somehow spliced it to the top of the VRV in our ford IDIs with automatics and said it was an easy fix.

I've been meaning to contact that guy and ask him for more details! Could be a life saver! I FINALLY got mine adjusted so it's working- after so many failed attempts following the Ford specified procedure. I finally found an adjustment point near the middle that worked! That was halfway across the adjustment band from where it originally worked (which was just 1/8th inch out from the firewall end and that working adjustment point just vanished) - I could never find that spot again. The factory procedure, after it seemed right was failing every time. Trial and error after about 30 additional tries, I found it in the middle of the adjustment band - so I am very happy for now!

BY THE WAY: That parts dealer who has been selling NEW VRVs on Ebay since at least as far back as February 2015 most certainly DID NOT have any to sell! He was listing 109 units. They were selling parts that were not manufactured yet and that parts company was also waiting for the negotiations between Ford Motor Company and the potential manufacturer to succeed before they could deliver any of the 109 units that they had listed and finally 'sold out'. Buyers were given about a 60 day time frame for the parts to be ready to ship and this was all explained very well in the listing! "...on back-order from Ford" was what the Ebay listing stated.

That's why I didn't loan them my money - I needed it for other important things.

These negotiations seemed less likely to be successful as time went on. I checked the status of those negotiations periodically and the news kept getting worse (less encouraging). I asked the parts techs at Ford dealerships each time I called to search for the FINE PRINT regarding those negotiations and when they could figure out how to find it, the wording changed and it was not encouraging! I stopped checking in late July, I think. SO. if the negotiations fail (or have already failed ) this VRV will be an obsolete part!

FURTHERMORE: The businesses that are still listing them online DO NOT HAVE THEM IN STOCK!.. They keep these listings up in order to draw people to their websites! So don't be mislead by that. One can try though.

Plus we have wrecking yard snipes who buy or steal every one they can possibly find in the wrecking yards, for themselves and/or for resale.

SO, we may have to manufacture, or that is; repair or re-manufacture our own from the basic failed unit that we have left.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:52 PM
wils3825
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'l talk to him about it. Thanks, guys!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
<p>i was talking about the fast idle solenoid being no longer available. i got a VRV from the ford dealer last year for a customer truck.</p><p>it wasn't cheap, but at least i knew it was a good part instead of one of those who knows what you will get ebay things.</p>