Sponsored by:

Brake maintenance today

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:39 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake maintenance today

Last couple of weeks I noticed the truck had this distinct brake squeak noise when I was making right turns. I didn't think much of it at first but today I figured I'd tear into it and figure out what's going on. Man I'm glad I did.

In a nutshell, every slide pin on the truck needed to be pulled, wire wheeled and regressed. Some barely moved other just plum didn't move, but weren't seized.

Lovely rusted caliper housing

This was the least worse looking one in the bunch. Some had rust on the top of it like you wouldn't believe.

The brake pad clips were also pretty crappy and didn't allow the pads to move very freely. Cleaned and lubed those too with anti seize

Slide pin lube of choice

Poor thing

Cleaned ready for lube and installation
Needless to say went for a test drive and night and day difference. Check your brake guys!!!! Little lube now will save heartache and dragging brakes later !!!!!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 937 Likes on 684 Posts
Good advice!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:38 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I almost felt ashamed I let it go this far. I do know better!!!! But let's face it, driveway brake work isn't that appealing but your wallet will thank you later.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:55 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Good stuff, went through mine in May during a oil change. Two bolts were missing for the slide pins, one front and one rear, also had a stuck pin. Used the same brake lube you have there.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 PM
nagetech
Tuned
Missing bolts. That's scary!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Yup, they all had anti-seize on them, after that they all have loctite blue on them.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 AM
nagetech
Tuned
I've used anti seize on my trucks for years in those components. Never one had backed out. I crank them down nice and tight. Any chance maybe you didn't torque those bad boys down enough? Did you notice any odd braking in your truck prior to this ?

Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Not sure what happened, I had noticed a little pulsating up front but other then that nothing. This could be the frozen slide pin though. I used a ratchet on them prior but not a torque wrench, this time though the loctite should keep everything together. Good thing is loctite blue is rated for hand tools.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Op, when was the last time the pins were serviced ? That is a very well known issue, they lock up. I serviced mine about 2 years ago. Not sure if I need to do it again.
Also made a huge difference. No longer pulled to one side when braking.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I've only owned my X for 2 years. Last it was serviced (don't bust my chops too much) was about that time as my friend was leaving pep boys and he threw in a free brake job for me on the truck. so needless to say, techs there don't care but I wasn't thinking about it much at the time.

So under my ownership, this was the first time!

Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nagetech
I've only owned my X for 2 years. Last it was serviced (don't bust my chops too much) was about that time as my friend was leaving pep boys and he threw in a free brake job for me on the truck. so needless to say, techs there don't care but I wasn't thinking about it much at the time.

So under my ownership, this was the first time!
They might not have serviced the slide pins. I didn't do it either initially when I replaced brake pads.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nagetech
Cleaned ready for lube and installation
Hope you cleaned out the slide pin bore too.

A .45 caliber stainless steel bore brush attached to my cordless drill with brake cleaner works best for me. I also cut out a small patch from a green scotch brite scrubbing pad and use it on the tip of the bore brush (think Kippah or Yarmulke) to get the very bottom cleaned and all the gunk out.

Stewart

Old 09-15-2015, 07:14 PM
nagetech
Tuned
I did clean them, but I didnt have anything fancy lol. I took a clean rag, then screwdriver covered it in brake kleen and in and out I went. I felt like I was ghetto cleaning a gun barrel. Got lots of crap out!!

Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
I use these and brake cleen at the same time. Works good for me. I do like the .45 bore brush though, pretty sure I have one of those and will have to try it.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Hope you cleaned out the slide pin bore too.

A .45 caliber stainless steel bore brush attached to my cordless drill with brake cleaner works best for me. I also cut out a small patch from a green scotch brite scrubbing pad and use it on the tip of the bore brush (think Kippah or Yarmulke) to get the very bottom cleaned and all the gunk out.

Stewart
Nice trick. Tried to rep ya, but was not allowed to be awesome. I'm gonna have to keep this trick in mind.

Quick Reply: Brake maintenance today