Sponsored by: DP Tuner

torque pro connection problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM
winterkill
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
torque pro connection problem

I just purchased a obd2 Bluetooth adapter and cannot connect with my teuck ecm. I tried it with the wife's 03 suburban and got the same result. I did a very basic vehicle description. Anyone else ran into this.
My truck is a 02 7.3.
Elm 327 mini adapter.

Last edited by winterkill; 09-11-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Depends on who made your adaptor, a lot of the cheap Chinese units are crap, and a few are great, this is where advice from people on this forum will usually steer you to the right part.(mostly cause we've already bought the crap). A picture and a name of the company usually helps.....

Old 09-11-2015, 12:29 PM
winterkill
Cross-Country
Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Yeah, that's a loser,sorry. See if you can send it back. Go to Amazon and research "OBD MX or BAFX BT units. I have the second one, $23.00 works good, the 1st one is pretty much the Forum choice, a little pricier ( I am not sure on the price) but they are a much more reliable unit. When Tugly lurks this way, he can speak to it's virtues...

Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 PM
winterkill
Cross-Country
Purchased the first one mentioned. Here in 3 days.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:09 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
That's a OBD adaptor, OBDLink MX is a brand name. and considerably more expensive. Here is a picture of the real deal:
It doesn't come with a phone, you get the idea......They are considered the top of the Line....( That's why I went with the Bafx unit)

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Before completely giving up on the blue blight special, it never hurts to be thorough.

I assume nothing here, because I've been caught off-guard when the basics weren't covered:
  • Did the BT device pair with your portable device before you tried to use the OBDII app?
  • Did the app allow you to select the device to communicate through?
  • If so, did you take the time to set your ELM device as the default communication device for the OBDII app?
  • Did you set the default communication protocol to J1850PWM?
  • Did you get any message from the app while connecting, like "PWM J1850 Protocol"?

Some apps may not even auto-connect, you may have to start the app - then tell it to connect to a vehicle from a list you've programmed in.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 PM
winterkill
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Tugly
Before completely giving up on the blue blight special, it never hurts to be thorough.

I assume nothing here, because I've been caught off-guard when the basics weren't covered:
  • Did the BT device pair with your portable device before you tried to use the OBDII app?
  • Did the app allow you to select the device to communicate through?
  • If so, did you take the time to set your ELM device as the default communication device for the OBDII app?
  • Did you set the default communication protocol to J1850PWM?
  • Did you get any message from the app while connecting, like "PWM J1850 Protocol"?

Some apps may not even auto-connect, you may have to start the app - then tell it to connect to a vehicle from a list you've programmed in.
Did none of the above. First thing in the morning ! Thanks tugly!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:57 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I recently (today) was troubleshooting one of the above looking adapters and either have a defective adapter, or it's a version issue.

The "new" version that doesn't work is v2.1

It connects to the phone okay, torquepro can get to it, but it cannot connect to the truck's ECU.

So there may be a chipset problem floating around out there...or just a defective adapter.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
These $20, $10, and $5 blue adapters are a product of China cloning the Elm 327 chip. You have to ask yourself how much quality control goes into these units, considering the manufacture price of a unit that pulls such small retail dollars. The "legit" chip made in USA wholesales for far more than the Asian retail price of the whole unit that contains the knock-off chip.

Using a profitable business model and the legit chip, the OBDII adapter would be close to $100. This price gives you a warranty, a quality product, some software to talk to the chip, and support.

This is my OBDLink MX BT and Torque Pro with all the right settings on a Nexus 7 (2013):

Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 PM
winterkill
Cross-Country
still not connecting

Originally Posted by coax9952
That's a OBD adaptor, OBDLink MX is a brand name. and considerably more expensive. Here is a picture of the real deal:
It doesn't come with a phone, you get the idea......They are considered the top of the Line....( That's why I went with the Bafx unit)
I tried this new adaptor you recommend and can't connect to ecm on either vehicle. Is there a tutorial for this ?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
BaFx or OBDLink? WiFi or BlueTooth? Windows, iOS, or Android?

[LINK]

[LINK]

Old 09-18-2015, 10:11 PM
winterkill
Cross-Country
details

Originally Posted by Tugly
BaFx or OBDLink? WiFi or BlueTooth? Windows, iOS, or Android?

[LINK]

[LINK]
Obdlink. Bluetooth. Android

Old 09-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The first link above will cover my Android device. The OBDLink MX has one button... that's it. It doesn't turn, and you don't tap it in semaphore to configure the adapter. Once you have the instructions from your portable device for pairing, and have set it in search mode...
  1. Plug OBDLink MX into vehicle and turn on ignition for power
  2. Push button when ready to pair device
Your portable device handles it from there.

As you can see, the "manual" from OBDLink to cover their "responsibility" in pairing the device would be pretty spartan. I wonder if they would do this in a huge font and with pictures to fill the 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper.

Anyway... once your device is paired with the OBDII adapter, you then need to configure your App to use the adapter, which protocol to use for your vehicle (auto works, but it's slow), and when you want the app to connect - as soon as the app starts, or when you give the command.

All that to say the complicated part is on the side of your device and your app.

I think ExPaCamper wrote a tutorial on hooking up Torque Pro, and I know there are a bajillion videos on it on YouTube.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM
devovino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power to OBD2?

I am going to piggy back this thread as it is already in place, I started a thread of similar nature over on the Excursion community: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-lighter.html
Goes as follows:

Two part question here, I ordered a ELM OBD11 bluetooth plug in to mate with the Torque App I have on my phone and I finally got around to trying it today, and low and behold the plug (OBD2/ECU?)in did not provide power to it, and I had also noticed prior to that the the lower cigarette lighter did not work. I know what yall are thinking and yes, I R & R the 20A fuse (which did not "appear to be snapped) for this and it did not change anything, still no power??

Part two, so I tried the OBD11 (VGate Scan) out in one of our ambulances (E- Series van chasis w/ 7.3 L Diesel) and yes it powered up, illuminated the red "power" L.E.D., I was able to use a code in the Torque app (1,2,3,4) and it connected to the blue tooth, but it did never function for diagnostics, it continually read "checking protocols"?

Stumped all over?

I received correspondence back from the company that made it saying that there OBD2 is only compatible with certain protocols, one listed was:
AE J1850 PWM(41.6Kbaud), which is what is used in F-Series and the Excursion, am I correct in this finding?

Thanks in advance, Devon

Quick Reply: torque pro connection problem