1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

dually conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:36 PM
krazylegswp
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dually conversion

an 85 f150 dually conversion
i have a rear axle setup from a wrecked vehicle but the front was destroyed do i need to replace the front axle
i like the look of the dually front wheels as the lugs arent inset like regular trucks
but is that because its a solid axle not i beam or are they beefier i beams and spindles
id like to stick with i beams but look like a dually front

Old 09-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by krazylegswp
an 85 f150 dually conversion
i have a rear axle setup from a wrecked vehicle but the front was destroyed do i need to replace the front axle
i like the look of the dually front wheels as the lugs arent inset like regular trucks
but is that because its a solid axle not i beam or are they beefier i beams and spindles
id like to stick with i beams but look like a dually front
Other than sheetmetal, your F150 has nothing in common with a Dually
I suggest buying a F350 dually to start with

Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Totally different trucks

Agreed....Different animals.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 PM
krazylegswp
Cross-Country
excuse me
i have 3 f150s 2 f250s and my neighbors deisel f350
besides suspension components and spring rates the trucks are identical from the frame up so be replacing the axel springs and perches there is no difference infact the i beams are identical
i will admit i was naive and asking a question prior to doing much research but i thought id at least get a helpful informative answer and disappointingly that was obviously not the case
after researching a little more i found the only reason the front tires are different on a dually are so that all 6 tires can be rotated which means the only difference up front is the hub is much wider to accommodate pushing the lugs out while keeping the force on the wheel bearings centered they actually fit on the standard spindles and brakes
they actually sell a kit to turn any of the 80-96 trucks to dually here Welcome - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!
but since i have the full rear axle i can find two hubs and better springs
your welcome for the info

making interchangeable components allows for manufacturing easier so to think two trucks of the same year cannot be reverse adapted to one another is silly the frame may be heavier gauge but i doubt it and you cant tell by eye the only differences are between years and suspension components

Old 09-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Arrow craft does NOT sell parts to make a F150 into a dually, they sell parts to make a F250/F350 into a dually.

As for the "identical from the frame up" comment, wrong again. The f150s are only 3/16" the F250/F350 are 1/4"

The front "hubs" are different between a single wheel F250/F350 and a Dual wheel F350 but they do not work on your f150

Also, no need to TRY and school me on building a dually, I have built more than you probably have ever seen

Old 09-02-2015, 09:53 PM
krazylegswp
Cross-Country
my intention was not to school but to at least bring forth pertinent helpful information the 3/16 vs 1/4 gauge frames is information that could have been easily been offered towards my question although negligible and my prerogative to use a lighter gauge frame
the blatantly vague and rude comments frustrate me to no end
your right ive never dealt with DRW but that does not make me a novice by any means to the world of customizing a vehicle to suit my needs
as i stated in my first post i have the axle for the rear from a DRW truck the ibeams however may need to be replaced since the spindle may be different from a f250 as you say but i know from doing a swap already of f150 4x4 beams to a f250 the mounts are identical from ibeam to truck
and you can see in my previous post i understood that the frames may be thicker gauge but i couldnt tell by eye
so instead of posting unhelpful answers that serve no purpose other than to aggrevate the person asking the question instead provide the information you obviously know and the issues within the question in a helpful manner just about everyone on this forum joined because they wanted information to begin with otherwise why join in the first place just to be called ignorant ? no! so dont patronize someone for asking a question and you wont get such a pointed response there's no need for a di** swinging contest on a help forum

Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow Brad, you've been pushing buttons lately, lol.

krazylegswp, it would help present you and your points better if you put a little effort into punctuation, sentence structure, etc. Your posts would be easier to read and you'd appear more intelligent.

It'd help to explain why on earth you'd want to turn an F150 into a dually? It's not like F250/350s are hard to come by, or that anything but the most modified F150 can handle the weight to justify duals.

If it's just a look thing, then say that, but F250/350s look just like F150s, put F150 badges on a F350 if you want.

BTW you'll need a bed as well. And what kind of truck is the DRW axle out of?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by krazylegswp
my intention was not to school but to at least bring forth pertinent helpful information the 3/16 vs 1/4 gauge frames is information that could have been easily been offered towards my question although negligible and my prerogative to use a lighter gauge frame
the blatantly vague and rude comments frustrate me to no end
your right ive never dealt with DRW but that does not make me a novice by any means to the world of customizing a vehicle to suit my needs
as i stated in my first post i have the axle for the rear from a DRW truck the ibeams however may need to be replaced since the spindle may be different from a f250 as you say but i know from doing a swap already of f150 4x4 beams to a f250 the mounts are identical from ibeam to truck
and you can see in my previous post i understood that the frames may be thicker gauge but i couldnt tell by eye
so instead of posting unhelpful answers that serve no purpose other than to aggrevate the person asking the question instead provide the information you obviously know and the issues within the question in a helpful manner just about everyone on this forum joined because they wanted information to begin with otherwise why join in the first place just to be called ignorant ? no! so dont patronize someone for asking a question and you wont get such a pointed response there's no need for a di** swinging contest on a help forum
You need to better explain what you did. You are getting resistance because you are wrong on most accounts. You indeed may have put f150 4x4 beams into a f250, but the f250 was a 2wd correct? The 4x4 f250 front beams are nothing like the f150 4x4 beams. The f250 4x4 uses leaf springs, the f150 uses coil springs. So what you ended up with was a truck with a f250 frame, with a f150 axle. It's only as good as the f150 5 lug axle.

It also all depends on your intentions with this truck. If you want a mall cruiser, you probably could put a dually rear axle under a f150 frame, but you would have to use a 2wd f350 dually axle up front(if it would even fit). A f250 or 350 4x4 front axle setup is just not going to fit under the front of a f150 frame without a lot of fabrication.