Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Motorcraft Gold Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 AM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Motorcraft Gold Engine Coolant

Is there an equivalent that I can get at the parts store's (Advance, NAPA etc) or must I get it from the dealership?
David

Old 08-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Thomas White
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SC_Dave
Is there an equivalent that I can get at the parts store's (Advance, NAPA etc) or must I get it from the dealership?
David
Ford or Motorcraft Premium Antifreeze

Texaco Antifreeze/Coolant

Texaco Antifreeze/Coolant Pre-diluted 50/50

Zerex 5/100 (white bottle) Antifreeze/Coolant

Zerex Ready To Use Antifreeze/Coolant (premixed 50/50 with demineralized water)

Zerex Heavy Duty Precharged Formula

Shellzone Premium Quality Antifreeze

Prestone Heavy Duty (black bottle) Antifreeze/Coolant with SCA

Fleetguard Complete EG--precharged at 1.5 units/gallon DCA4

Also available premixed 50/50 with water with the same DCA4 level

Pyroil Heavy-Duty Antifreeze/Coolant--Low Silicate

Peak Full Force

Advance Fleet Charge Antifreeze/Coolant--precharged with Pencoo

Wal-Mart Super Tech

Old 08-18-2015, 08:53 AM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Originally Posted by Thomas White
Ford or Motorcraft Premium Antifreeze

Texaco Antifreeze/Coolant

Texaco Antifreeze/Coolant Pre-diluted 50/50

Zerex 5/100 (white bottle) Antifreeze/Coolant

Zerex Ready To Use Antifreeze/Coolant (premixed 50/50 with demineralized water)

Zerex Heavy Duty Precharged Formula

Shellzone Premium Quality Antifreeze

Prestone Heavy Duty (black bottle) Antifreeze/Coolant with SCA

Fleetguard Complete EG--precharged at 1.5 units/gallon DCA4

Also available premixed 50/50 with water with the same DCA4 level

Pyroil Heavy-Duty Antifreeze/Coolant--Low Silicate •Peak Full Force or

Advance Fleet Charge Antifreeze/Coolant--precharged with Pencoo

Wal-Mart Super Tech

Holy Cow! I thought Ford's Gold coolant was special. I had no clue all of these would replace it.
David

Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM
SC_Dave
Tuned
According to the local dealership my truck takes the VC-5 coolant and they said it needed an additive VC-8. Would I be better to use the VC-7A? Does it need the additive as well?
David

Old 08-18-2015, 12:27 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Your truck came with Ford Gold Coolant. A common replacement when flushing is to use Zerex G-05 available at many auto parts stores.

Many here say a better replacement is to use a true "Extended Life Coolant".

More information can be found here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...formation.html

Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Originally Posted by DND58
Your truck came with Ford Gold Coolant. A common replacement when flushing is to use Zerex G-05 available at many auto parts stores.

Many here say a better replacement is to use a true "Extended Life Coolant".

More information can be found here.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...formation.html

You can use "Zerex HD Extended-Life" "Red Coolant" per Navistar in Models 1999 and up with engine SN: 940614 and greater. 6 Year/ 600,000 mile / protection*, Fully Formulated, CAT EC-1 and Cummins 14603 approved. THT DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHECK AND MAINTAIN THE SCA's

Either a Nitrite only (DCA-2 SCA) or a Molybdate/Nitrite (DCA-4) SCA will work. Zerex HD Extended-Life is a OAT.

Zerex G-05 is NOT recommended by Navistar in their Engines. it's a HOAT "Hybrid" and specifically designed for among other U.S. Domestic models as Both Ford and Fiat-Daimler-Chrysler Gasoline Engines with different mating surfaces such as aluminum, steel, and plastics since 2001.

They have however been a large part of the European market sine some where in the 60's with Mercedes Benz, BMW, and such.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Just FYI: "If it ain't Green or Red, Don't use it in your Navistar 7.3 and 6.0 Diesel Engine

Anti-Freeze Colors and Applications:

Green (Approved by Navistar): Ethylene Glycol, conventional 5 Year/100,000 Mile guarantee, low silicate - Standard Applications. Approved by Navistar for use in Diesel Engines. (GM 1825, GM1899M, Ford ESE-M97B44-A, Chrysler MS 7170, ASTM D3306, D4985, SAE J1034, J814C, J1941, Detroit Diesel 7SE298, Cummins 90T8-4, TMC of ATA RP-302B, Federal Specifications A-A-870A, Clarke approved Green, Ethylene Glycol, conventional Protect water pumps from corrosion/erosion, lubricates gaskets and seals, low silicate, prevents rust and scale Older Vehicles

Green (Approved by Navistar): Ethylene Glycol,conventional Protect water pumps from corrosion/erosion, lubricates gaskets and seals, low silicate, prevents rust and scale Older Vehicles GM 1825, GM1899M, Ford ESE-M97B44-A, Chrysler MS 7170, ASTM D3306, D4985, SAE J1034, J814C, J1941

Orange: (GM, VW, Japanese)Ethylene Glycol, OAT (organic acid technology) 5 Year/150,000 mile guarantee. DEX-COOL compatible. Silicate and phosphate free GM, VW, Japanese ASTM D3306, D4985, SAE J1034, J814C, J1941, TMC of ATA RP-302B, Federal Specification A-A-870A Yellow (Diamier Chrysler, Ford Vehicles, MTU European) Ethylene Glycol, HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) Factory Fill and approved for Ford and Daimler-Chrysler vehicles, phosphate free, reduced silicate,Fully Formulated Diamier Chrysler, Ford Vehicles, MTU European Applications Chrylser MS7170,MS9769, Detroit Diesel 7SE2987, Federal Specifications A-A-870-A, Case MS1710, WSS-M97B51-A1, ASTM D3306,SAE J1034, J814,GM 1825M, 1899M, Daimler Chrysler, MTU, John Deere approved.

Zerex Pre-Charged Green Ethylene Glycol: (Approved by Navistar) , Fully Formulated conventional Fully- Formulated (Pre-Charged) to protect cylinder liners from pitting, low silicate Heavy Duty Diesel Engines, Coventional Services Cummins 90T8-4, 3666286, Detroit Diesel 7SE298, Federal Specifications A-A-52624, A-A-870, Kenworth R026-170-97, TMC of ATA RP3-02B, 329B, 338, ASTM D3306, D4985, D6210, SAE J1034, J814, J1941, GM 1825M, 1899M, Clarke Approved ZXPC1/ZXPC2 ZXPCRU1/ZXPCRU2

Zerex HD Extended-Life Red Ethylene Glycol (Approved by Navistar), Fully Formulated OAT 6 Year/ 600,000 mile protection*, Fully Formulated, CAT EC-1 and Cummins 14603 approved Caterpillar & Cummins Diesel Engines Extended Service Caterpillar EC-1, Cummins 14603, 3666286, Detroit Diesel 7SE298, Federal Specifications A-A-870A, TMC of ATA RP- 329B, 338, ASTM D3306, D6210, SAE J1034, J814, GM 1825M, 899M, Link-Belt Approved. An extender is required.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use "Zerex HD Extended-Life" "Red Coolant" per Navistar in Models 1999 and up with engine SN: 940614 and greater.
Can you help me with this statement . What change was made by navistar between those motors?

I ask because I just put a motor S/N 810519 in my truck. I replaced several seals/gaskets and replaces all the injector cups.

My previous motor ran CAT elc. Currently I'm running a conventional SCA coolant. Before I flush it out to go back to CAT, I need to understand what could go wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Thomas White
Elder User
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
Can you help me with this statement . What change was made by navistar between those motors? I ask because I just put a motor S/N 810519 in my truck. I replaced several seals/gaskets and replaces all the injector cups. My previous motor ran CAT elc. Currently I'm running a conventional SCA coolant. Before I flush it out to go back to CAT, I need to understand what could go wrong. Thanks in advance.
Navistar had a running change which included all seals and O-Rings, Gasket sealer and Cup Sealer so Extended Life Coolant could be used. The use of ELC in the previous Engines will experience pre-mature failure and leaks as the degradation of O-Rings, Sealants, an so forth are compromised by the ELC. The ELC makes the O-Rings Hard and Brittle.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You can use "Zerex HD Extended-Life" "Red Coolant" per Navistar in Models 1999 and up with engine SN: 940614 and greater. 6 Year/ 600,000 mile / protection*, Fully Formulated, CAT EC-1 and Cummins 14603 approved. THT DOES NOT MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHECK AND MAINTAIN THE SCA's
Completely incorrect because that's EXACTLY what it means!

Please stop posting that a HD ELC meeting CAT EC-1 specs needs to be checked for SCA levels, it does not.

An Organic Acid Technology Extended Life Coolant (basically, a "red" HD OAT ELC coolant) does NOT protect the engine from cavitation through the use of SCA's. A Heavy Duty OAT ELC doesn't even contain SCA's and if anyone adds SCA's to an OAT ELC it will effectively be ruined for what it was manufactured for.

A Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant does not protect an engine and it's peripheral parts from cavitation by using a Supplemental Coolant Additive package. That's the "no maintenance" aspect of a HD ELC coolant.

Here's information I previously posted in another thread (slightly edited version):

Originally Posted by Stewart_H

As you know, conventional "green" coolant needs to be charged with a Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA) package and tested with test strips as part of the maintenance of the coolant.

Conventional "green" coolant typically use a phosphate/silicate mix as the main components in their inhibitor system. Conventional inhibitors like silicates and phosphates work by forming a protective blanket that actually insulates the metals from the coolant. These inhibitors can be characterized chemically as inorganic oxides (silicates, phosphates, borates, etc.). Because these inhibitor systems are depleted by forming a protective layer, conventional green coolants need to be changed at regular intervals.

Conventional coolants containing silicates degrade primarily due to rapid inhibitor depletion. This is because silicates lay down protective layers as part of their protection mechanism. That means the SCA level must be tested on a regular basis and added as necessary to ensure against cavitation.

Heavy Duty OAT ELC's use carboxylates as an inhibitor to prevent cavitation. Carboxylates actually interact with the metal to protect from cavitation. It does not form a layer that will deplete or wear away over time.

(ELC is) a superior upgrade over the conventional "green", since the "green" inherently will, due to it's chemical make up and the way it protects, have particles that can eat the water pump seal over time.

One of the benefits to using an OAT ELC is the no-maintenance aspect of the coolant, where test strips and SCA packages are NOT needed, unlike a conventional "green" coolant where SCA test strips and SCA packages ARE needed.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10789932[/quote]

Obviously you must not believe me so do your own Google search.

Stewart

Old 08-19-2015, 05:39 AM
Thomas White
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Completely incorrect because that's EXACTLY what it means!

Please stop posting that a HD ELC meeting CAT EC-1 specs needs to be checked for SCA levels, it does not.

An Organic Acid Technology Extended Life Coolant (basically, a "red" HD OAT ELC coolant) does NOT protect the engine from cavitation through the use of SCA's. A Heavy Duty OAT ELC doesn't even contain SCA's and if anyone adds SCA's to an OAT ELC it will effectively be ruined for what it was manufactured for.

A Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant does not protect an engine and it's peripheral parts from cavitation by using a Supplemental Coolant Additive package. That's the "no maintenance" aspect of a HD ELC coolant.

Here's information I previously posted in another thread (slightly edited version):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10789932
Obviously you must not believe me so do your own Google search.

Stewart[/QUOTE]

Stewart,

It's not that I don't believe you.

I know how to use Google.

I know there are many threads which say many things. That does not lend itself to accuracy nor correctness.

My post is verbatim Copy / Paste from the "Fleet Preventive Maintenance Program, Section 3a, Page 102". Coverage Navistar Ford Motor Company Light Duty Diesel Engines "1982 - 2008" and was written by Navistar for FPMP Subscribers.

As for the Zerex Antifreeze, That was also verbatim Copy / Paste from their Website Valvoline®.

The list of Anti-Freeze is from "Gooch's" Coolant Flush Procedure and was also verbatim Copy / Paste

We send every fluid out to be tested annually from each vehicle, unless its undergone a scheduled maintenance or major repair. We often receive direction to add SCA's to ELC. Of course we have 1,000 vehicles as well. Not all diesels. A hand full of 7.3's in the 550's and predominately 6.0's and the remainder Duramax with a Cummins here and there.

I can understand your frustration. But, please do not direct it towards me. I use professional subscriptions daily in my field and rely upon their guidance to perform my work.

Tom

Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
I will make this short. Caterpillar makes it's own VERY expensive equipment. Caterpillar makes it's own extended life coolant (ELC) to protect it's VERY expensive equipment. How many coolant makers can say that?

Flush your system, with distilled water, and convert to CAT (ELC). It's the BEST, it's PROVEN, and other coolant makers always compare their brand to CAT (ELC) for those reasons.

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Thomas White:

Are you sending CAT (ELC) samples to Caterpillar testing and they are sending reports back to you to add SCA's? If so, can you show one of those reports?

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by SC_Dave
According to the local dealership my truck takes the VC-5 coolant and they said it needed an additive VC-8. Would I be better to use the VC-7A? Does it need the additive as well?
David
If the coolant is gold, which some 2002-2003 trucks got, you got this:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ing%20Products

Which is chemically the exact same thing as this:

Valvoline? ZEREX? G-05? Antifreeze / Coolant : Product Catalog - Valvoline®

and test and treat with this...

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...ing%20Products

Cummins filtration (along with other vendors) offer DCA2 and DCA4 alternatives that do the same thing...

Old 08-19-2015, 09:16 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
We send every fluid out to be tested annually from each vehicle, unless its undergone a scheduled maintenance or major repair. We often receive direction to add SCA's to ELC. Of course we have 1,000 vehicles as well. Not all diesels. A hand full of 7.3's in the 550's and predominately 6.0's and the remainder Duramax with a Cummins here and there.
Where are you sending these samples? Just curious, always interested in something new to me...

Quick Reply: Motorcraft Gold Engine Coolant