1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How Often Are You Guys Having To Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
fnx4wheeler
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
How Often Are You Guys Having To Replace?

Your water pump? I have 150,000 on my truck and this is the third time I've had to replace my water pump. Is this the norm? I use Ford pump (new not reman) Ford coolant, additive, and distilled water only. Also Ford is very proud of their pumps lately, is there an equivalent after market pump? TIA.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
AIRTEX

from Rockauto.com...75 buks, shipped to door, or a OEM from Clay (riffraff diesel).

Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have 166k on my mine still running. my dads dead at 188k brothers at 154k

Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fnx4wheeler
Your water pump? I have 150,000 on my truck and this is the third time I've had to replace my water pump. Is this the norm? I use Ford coolant, additive, and distilled water only. TIA.
Not normal. One change in 150k sounds more reasonable but not three.

I think only one of our fleet trucks has had to get a new pump.
The water pump on my personal truck lasted 250k miles before it started to leak through the weep hole so I changed it right away.

Have you checked your fan for cracks or missing pieces? Maybe an out of balance issue is causing premature wp failure?
EDIT: Nevermind about the balance comment....sounds like you have been replacing with aftermarket pumps so depending on the brand, frequent replacement could be normal.
If you want a quality OEM pump then RiffRaff is a great choice.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/me..._Code=F731-OEM

Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on my third at 154000 on my excursion and the third on my f250 at 169000. On the last set I switched to Oriellys cause they have a lifetime warranty. Plus now I can change them in no time lol.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by fnx4wheeler
Ford coolant, additive, and distilled water only.
That's part of the reason (not saying it's the only reason) for water pump failures.

Switching from the conventional "green" coolant to a heavy duty Organic Acid Technology Extended Life Coolant is better for water pump longevity and for your engine.

Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart

Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
That's part of the reason (not saying it's the only reason) for water pump failures.

Switching from the conventional "green" coolant to a heavy duty Organic Acid Technology Extended Life Coolant is better for water pump longevity and for your engine.

Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart
While I agree that a quality ELC is better for longevity....I don't think the green stuff is all that bad. I am still running the green coolant and don't plan to change to ELC until my oil cooler needs a rebuild. Not sure when that will happen but I expect it to happen someday.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
had green on all my trucks (3) all had over 100k. never changed one water pump. gotta agree with Greg

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got 107k on "HERS", and never had a water pump replacement. I switched to GOLD coolant around 40k and added a coolant bypass filter, and just switched to ELC about a month ago.

"HIS" I believe is on pump #3...maybe #2, but this was all before I owned it. HIS will be getting switched to ELC as soon as I can find a mounting solution for my coolant bypass filter setup (I have everything but a mounting plate).

As for "green isn't that bad," I'm sure it's fine for engine protection if you're checking your SCAs. However, there are silica particles in an SCA type coolant, and it's the silica grains that get stuck in your gaskets / seals that cause the leaks. It's rare that the pump has failed, but rather the seals are bad. So AT LEAST put on a coolant bypass filter. Just a word of advice...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by gchavez
While I agree that a quality ELC is better for longevity....I don't think the green stuff is all that bad.
Originally Posted by Philip Berardi
had green on all my trucks (3) all had over 100k. never changed one water pump. gotta agree with Greg
I never said it was bad. I said the ELC is better than a conventional coolant, and that conventional coolant can cause failures.

By it's nature, the silicate drop out in the conventional coolant will cause the seal to give out over time.

For what it's worth, the water pump in my 2000 Excursion with conventional "green" lasted longer than the water pump in my 2002 F250 with Ford's "gold" coolant.

They are both running with Chevron DELO ELC now. Flushed and filled after the water pumps failed.

Stewart

Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

So, are we saying that water pumps will last forever with ELC coolant or just a heck of a lot longer? I presume that ELC doesn't have any drop out, if that is correct, then is there a reason for a filtration system while running ELC or just when running the green stuff?

All I am saying is that water pumps can last a long time even with stuff floating around in the green coolant. Our first two trucks had over 500k miles before we traded them in on 6.0 liter trucks and they both had the OEM pumps. We have 15 other trucks with 7.3 engines and they all have the green stuff. It would be a hard sell to my fleet manager to convince him that all our trucks need a coolant filtration system or need to be switched to ELC when we have over 10 years of virtually trouble free operation so far to date.

I'll be the first to admit that I am ignorant when it comes to ELC coolant. I am sure it's great stuff or the OEMs wouldn't have switched to it.. but I don't think everyone should worry about their coolant just because it's the old style. And yes...we use the test strips every 12k and distilled water like the manual recommends. It's a PITA but it's what we are used to doing and it has been successful so far.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
from Rockauto.com...75 buks, shipped to door, or a OEM from Clay (riffraff diesel).
I second that.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
I did a quick scan and didn't see it... Sounds like you REALLY need a coolant filter!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ToMang07
I did a quick scan and didn't see it... Sounds like you REALLY need a coolant filter!
My thoughts exactly! I'm at 153k and I'm putting one on in the next few months when I get all my coolant overhaul stuff together.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
lhud
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was getting approx. 100k with the green coolant and no coolant filter. But since I went with the gold coolant and a filter, I am getting well over 100k on the pump and it is still good.
Can't say that the filter or the coolant has made the difference - just know it is lasting longer.

Quick Reply: How Often Are You Guys Having To Replace?