Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2016 F150's

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't forget to add the weight of you, your friends/family, fuel and beer your friends will drink just before driving home. It does really add up quickly. I've driven both motors with full tow weight and they both handle their specs very well. You don't need overkill if the 2.7 will do the job...

Old 09-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been on some of those "white knuckle rides" that campingpaul was referring to. Mainly in hauling loads in my old Rangers that a Ranger had no business hauling! LOL Hence the reason why I moved to a '150.
Anyway, Franz has a good point about overkill. I'm a big believer in buying the right truck for the right job. I've seen people buying Superduty's just because they want to have the biggest, most expensive truck on the block. At the same time I know people who will beat the sh** out of a half ton because their too cheap to buy anything bigger, and they wonder why their truck wears out so fast. That's why I want to really do my homework before I do anything. My 4.2 liter 2006 still has a lot of life left in it, and is still doing everything I need him to do, so I don't need to be in a hurry.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:48 PM
MKEBoost
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by campingpaul
Just ordered a 2016 XLT SuperCrew. Now the waiting begins!
This might be a dumb question but I have to ask it to understand the best way to approach this when I go to the dealer to order a 2016...did you pay full msrp or did you negotiate a better price somehow then placed your order? I'm used to negotiating with a vehicle on the lot but not when ordering, especially for a truck that just came out. Would love to hear more about this! Thx

Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM
campingpaul
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MKEBoost
This might be a dumb question but I have to ask it to understand the best way to approach this when I go to the dealer to order a 2016...did you pay full msrp or did you negotiate a better price somehow then placed your order? I'm used to negotiating with a vehicle on the lot but not when ordering, especially for a truck that just came out. Would love to hear more about this! Thx
I usually approach an order just like you would an off-the-lot purchase. You should be able to negotiate a price.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Negotiate.
I work in commercial sales so my approach is different than the retail mindset. Unfortunately most of the ugly parts of shopping for a car are truly customer driven. If you just email/call around, whoever lies the best tends to get your business. There have been plenty of agreed upon orders where the customer comes in and either cancels because they decided they didn't want to wait or else the guy down the street offered $100 less. Nothing finalizes a deal like a customer driving off the lot. That being said, if you're a reasonable consumer you should be able to get as good of a deal as though it were in stock. They may expect a deposit even if you are financing 100%. The advantage to the dealer for all the risks they take of you backing out are simple though. No interest will be paid on floor planing the unit and they should only have to wash it once. They also can save their in stock units for generally more profitable "need to have it now" folks. You should be able to get the same deal on an order as in stock within a few bucks. Not all dealers view it the same. As always, I think it's best to make friends with whatever local dealership you want to have a good long term experience with and start there. Don't get mad at the dealership if Ford takes awhile to get information or get the truck to you. It's a process.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The only thing I can see going wrong with an ordered unit is the trade if there is one. It's not in the dealer's best interest to blow you off the lot and stock and ordered truck and it's not in your best interest to get too emotionally attached to a truck that you don't yet own.

Back in the 80's I ordered a Mustang GT, the dealer did a pre appraisal of my car and said that it would be worth xx. Eight weeks later when the Stang came in the actual appraisal came in way lower than they originally stated and we parted company with a handshake.

Everything happens for a reason, it was at this point that I bought my first F-150 from a different dealer.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Indeed trades can be tricky. We futurecast on appraises for an order. I encourage folks to take the number we expect the vehicle to be with in X more weeks with Y more miles and find a private buyer ahead of time. Now they have no pressure private sale. They know how much is the bottom and they can try and get more. Many states allow for trade in value to come off before taxes though... so if you h ave a high dollar equity trade, factor in that tax advantage before going through the hassle to sell it on your own for an extra grand. So long as the condition is about the same and unless you agreed to trade a VW diesel from a price you got a few weeks ago you shouldn't have to be too concerned with a reputable dealer. Our goal in life is for you to say yes.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM
John SCB
Senior User
The 2016 F150's are now available for Build and Price on the FordVehicles.com website. Has anyone seen them at a dealer yet?

Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
They haven't even started production. Dearborn goes online in about a week I think. KC is next month.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Originally Posted by John SCB
The 2016 F150's are now available for Build and Price on the FordVehicles.com website. Has anyone seen them at a dealer yet?
Yes I noticed this yesterday. I also received an email from a contact at a Ford dealer saying that that they could start putting in orders for the '16s, wanting to know if I was still interested and ready to stop down right now and place the order. I responded back yet and told him my timeline has changed and that I will probably wait another 2-3 years. As much as I like the new one and I do want one, I'm not ready to part with my trusty old 2006 just yet. Nor am I ready to get into another 6 years worth of payments again either! I am payment free and I like it that way!

Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a release date for the 2016 "Limited" trim? (Sorry if it was posted and I missed it).

Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 PM
raven3
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Blue 2006 XL
Test drove a F150 regular cab with 8 ft box two weeks ago with the new 3.5l NA engine with crank windows.
The width behind the seat is less than the 2014 regular cab model.
However it is greater than Silverado and much less than the Ram regular.
Would not be able to fit my tool bag behind the drivers seat.
However, if the passenger seat is moved forward my tool bag would easily in the space behind the passenger seat.
Needed to find a regular cab F150 to evaluate this feature,
There is sufficient space behind the front seat not to be a show stopper.
Also, there is sufficient adjustment in the drivers seat to tilt the drivers seat backward in a more reclined position with left leg straight out in horizontal position, since there is no parking brake mechanism, only a switch.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks raven3. I appreciate the evaluation. Sounds like it has a lot less room behind the seats than my 2006 RC, which actually had the half doors that opened up. That is still one of the most useful features of the truck. This has about the most room behind the seats as I've seen yet for a RC pick-up. My tool box that I carry is a big, hefty Craftsman piece so that may not fit. I will have to determine that for myself when I actually see one. I've decided not to buy for another couple of years yet, but I know eventually I will have to retire (not replace!) the '06. I may have to learn to slim down on the tools I carry with me. That could be difficult, because there's no way in hell I'm buying a Ram!
Do you mind if I ask how you even found it? I didn't think they had made any yet. What did you think of the base 3.5, essentially a Taurus engine, in the big F-150? I've seen the numbers, and it seems like it would be pretty useless.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:50 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue 2006 XL
Thanks raven3. I appreciate the evaluation. Sounds like it has a lot less room behind the seats than my 2006 RC, which actually had the half doors that opened up. That is still one of the most useful features of the truck. This has about the most room behind the seats as I've seen yet for a RC pick-up. My tool box that I carry is a big, hefty Craftsman piece so that may not fit. I will have to determine that for myself when I actually see one. I've decided not to buy for another couple of years yet, but I know eventually I will have to retire (not replace!) the '06. I may have to learn to slim down on the tools I carry with me. That could be difficult, because there's no way in hell I'm buying a Ram!
Do you mind if I ask how you even found it? I didn't think they had made any yet. What did you think of the base 3.5, essentially a Taurus engine, in the big F-150? I've seen the numbers, and it seems like it would be pretty useless.
Have you looked at the smaller 2.7L EB engine? From browsing thru this thread, I think it would probably check off the boxes on your wish list. From everything I've read and seen, pretty impressive little power plant.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No reason to not go with 2.7 unless you just don't trust the turbo motors as the dollar difference is minimal while the performance is vastly different, even the v8 delivers on mpg .......not to mention the resale value the better engine pays for itself

Quick Reply: 2016 F150's