Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2016 F150's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
No worries. Just as a warning, I'm a wolf here. I sell Ford trucks for a living. I just want you to know where my "knowledge" and bias comes from. I sell Ford Trucks entirely intentionally. I do have some 2015 RC in stock I could take a picture behind the seats. They are sorta hard to come buy for 15 due to frame shortages. The RC trucks won't start getting built until Nov 2016 at the KC plant. I don't keep too close track of which all plant makes what, but I just checked a 15 XLT SC in stock and that one came from Dearborn which would be October start up.
Frantz, are you saying that regular cab production really won't ramp up until November of next year? That puts Ford into 2017 model year before they're available to the public. Why the delay? What's the hold up? I understand many buyers are choosing the super cabs and crew cabs now anyway, but there are still a lot of us that don't want or need those and still want the traditional truck. By not having that traditional truck to offer for two full model years they are going to lose a lot of business! Do they understand how much business they are losing by not having a traditional regular cab/8ft bed half-ton truck to offer the buyers?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
I would suspect that one plant can easily keep up with demand for RC trucks. They are such a small part of the volume.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry, 2015..... we don't' have to wait a whole year!

I suspect that most of the "lower sales" are due to the lack of fleet sales this year. The RC frames are the least commonly used, and therefore with the overall shortage they basically didn't build them for 2015. The added frame supplier will be focused on these units, and November of 2015 will make the startup of the production for 2016 RC trucks.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I would suspect that one plant can easily keep up with demand for RC trucks. They are such a small part of the volume.
They'd be a bigger part of the volume if they would just build them! Probably no more than 20 2015 RCSB 5.0's were built total. None on the lots = none sold. Many people were waiting all year for this unicorn, including me until I gave up on the 15's. Then I was hoping 16 might be the year that Ford gets there S#!t together. I guess not. At least my 13 RCSB 5.0 is still low miles.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Frantz, when you say November of 2016; do you mean regular cabs will enter production for another year, or that they will be ready for the 2016 model year? Ford is already a full model year behind on offering the traditional work truck for those of us who want and need one. They'd be crazy to wait another full year. Right now all they have available is short beds, and I use my truck too much to be able to get by with a short bed. I need the regular cab/8 ft bed configuration. There are many of us who do need the traditional work truck configuration, but we don't exactly want or need the expense and fuel consumption of a Super duty.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Frantz
Sorry, 2015..... we don't' have to wait a whole year!

I suspect that most of the "lower sales" are due to the lack of fleet sales this year. The RC frames are the least commonly used, and therefore with the overall shortage they basically didn't build them for 2015. The added frame supplier will be focused on these units, and November of 2015 will make the startup of the production for 2016 RC trucks.

Okay, this makes more sense. I realize that many buyers are not choosing the regular cabs any more, but to get the 8 ft bed that's the most economical way to go unless you really need the super cab with the 8 footer, which then you've got a truck that won't fit in a lot of tight parking spaces. There are still a lot of us who need the 8 foot bed pick up. Judging from some of the posts here, they have a lot of angry customers for their foolish decision not to build any regular cabs for a whole model year. Or if they have built them, they have not made them available to the public. Maybe they're going to satisfy fleet orders first(?).

Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 PM
campingpaul
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered a 2016 XLT SuperCrew. Now the waiting begins!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
It really was just a frame issue. The demand is for the other cabs. I didn't get a single fleet RC order fulfilled by Ford this entire year. The made the more profitable ones first and as a priority. If they had more frames you wouldn't see any market news about a decline in sales.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:56 AM
John SCB
Senior User
Originally Posted by campingpaul
Just ordered a 2016 XLT SuperCrew. Now the waiting begins!
Did you order it on paper with the dealer? The fordvehicles.com website is still showing the 2015's. Is there another website to build and price a 2016?

Old 09-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
You would have to go into the dealership so far as I know. They normally don't switch over until the start hitting the lots. In America it's all about buy now, not order now. They don't want to show a color or something that won't exist for 3 months.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:20 PM
campingpaul
Freshman User
Originally Posted by John SCB
Did you order it on paper with the dealer? The fordvehicles.com website is still showing the 2015's. Is there another website to build and price a 2016?
We ordered through a dealer. The dealer's have access to the real 2016 Ford build site which looks like it is running on an IBM Mainframe. I didn't have a chance to compare prices line by line, but the overall price appears to be close to the 2015 price. The Max Tow package appeared to be up $200.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
When I do make a purchase or place an order, I am contemplating either getting the 2.7 EC with the extra payload package, which gives me the 3.73 locker; or should I just go with the 3.5 EC and get the 3.15 locker? The truck would be 2-wheel drive. Which gives me the most bang for the buck? Which gives the best fuel economy, or would they be about equal at that point? Anyone got any ideas? It will have the tow package, but not the Max Tow if I get the 3.5 EC. The truck will be used mostly for a daily driver, and part-time work truck. It seems that with my 2006, when I do work it, I'm workin' it pretty hard. So I want to know that I have enough truck under me to do what I need to do. I will most likely be getting the XL with the 101A package this time; although this old body is starting to think XLT, too. No definite timeframe yet.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:05 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
That's a tough question, and I don't know the answer, but some food for thought.
the 2.7EB with 3.73 is rated to tow between 8200 and 8500 lbs
The 3.5EB with 3.15 is rated to tow 10,700 lbs

Your "work" may not be towing, but it's interesting to see what Ford engineers say about the ability to pull.

EPA fuel economy is rated at 19/26 for the 2.7EB and 17/24 for the 3.5EB.

Those are all ratings from the 2015 model, because that was easier to get my hands on, but I assume the 2016 is not different. Hope that helps.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
That's a tough question, and I don't know the answer, but some food for thought.
the 2.7EB with 3.73 is rated to tow between 8200 and 8500 lbs
The 3.5EB with 3.15 is rated to tow 10,700 lbs

Your "work" may not be towing, but it's interesting to see what Ford engineers say about the ability to pull.

EPA fuel economy is rated at 19/26 for the 2.7EB and 17/24 for the 3.5EB.

Those are all ratings from the 2015 model, because that was easier to get my hands on, but I assume the 2016 is not different. Hope that helps.
Thanks Sevetyseven250. Actually what I'm looking at more right now is payload, what I can carry in the bed. I know the 2.7EB with the extra payload package is rated at around 2250, which would be enough. But then I don't want put too much strain on it either. The 3.5EB with even the 3.15 gear is rated at close to 2600, which would be more than enough to do what I need to do without putting too much strain on anything. Another thing I'm thinking about is pulling steep hills. Where I live there are quite a few steep hills. I want to have enough power to pull a steep grade with a load when needed. The towing is also important for the future as my wife and I would like to eventually get a camper. When I do buy this truck I will most likely keep it for a long time, so I want to make sure I get the right truck to suit my needs. I'm also your classic cheapskate too, so I don't want to spend too much!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 PM
campingpaul
Freshman User
White knuckle ride!

Originally Posted by Blue 2006 XL
Thanks Sevetyseven250. Actually what I'm looking at more right now is payload, what I can carry in the bed. I know the 2.7EB with the extra payload package is rated at around 2250, which would be enough. But then I don't want put too much strain on it either. The 3.5EB with even the 3.15 gear is rated at close to 2600, which would be more than enough to do what I need to do without putting too much strain on anything. Another thing I'm thinking about is pulling steep hills. Where I live there are quite a few steep hills. I want to have enough power to pull a steep grade with a load when needed. The towing is also important for the future as my wife and I would like to eventually get a camper. When I do buy this truck I will most likely keep it for a long time, so I want to make sure I get the right truck to suit my needs. I'm also your classic cheapskate too, so I don't want to spend too much!
Having made the mistake in the past, I recommend that you carefully consider what your towing needs might be. If you are considering a camper, take a look at the dry weight of the largest trailer that you might tow. Then you need to include the weight of stuff that you might put in the trailer, including beverages, bedding, food, bikes, TV's, water (20 gallons). Also include the weight of firewood and anything else that you might carry in the truck bed. After adding up all of these weights, you will have a better idea of your needs. Then pick a towing and load capacity that is well above those. You don't want to be towing and hauling near the maximums. Some of us call that a white knuckle ride!

Last edited by campingpaul; 09-24-2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Spelling fix

Quick Reply: 2016 F150's