1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

TITS tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
**** tank

HI, my name is teachNlive4ever and I'm a bumpaholic...
Before I get booted for the title, in the bump kingdom I am self proclaimed Kingdom Troll. I pick up what the wise ones teach and pass on to my local friends. My young son is a Troll In Training (TIT, get it?)
I've been riding the robe tails of my brothers in the Kingdoms threads, so I figured I'd do one of my own.

Last weekend, TIT and I rebuild a Holley carb for his 69, he has named Elizabeth Love. Sounds high maintenance, huh? Well she is, but she's been neglected.

before

after

SET in place

With the fresh rebuild, we changed the fuel filter.Brown liquid came out of the hard line. Drained the tank, $25 of fresh fuel and a can of seafoam later, Fires up and runs great. While TIT drives the neighbor hood, we can"t hear it shift into 3rd. He keeps letting of the gas at the sweet spot.
I get in it, half throttle feeling good and at the sweet spot to shift into third, truck dies. Drag it home, fuel pump test, not working. Inspect in (****) installation of the fuel filter. It's full of rust...

There's the inside of the tank.
The boy will throw small rocks in it with a bit of gasoline for a lubricant so to say and to help capture particulates from the Rock agitation.
I need to order a float mechanism, rubber cab grommet, filler tube rubber hose and what the thingy thingy on the back of the instrument panel that helps the gauge work?
All this while the Green Hornet sets against the fence. ( my 69)
I would like to send out a special thanks to our Kingdom King (2) for all of his help over the weekend as well as listening to my rants of whining.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:31 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So that last picture is looking down INTO the tank? Kind of a cleavage shot? lol

Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Many years back, I purchased a '64 Galaxie. I went through those little plastic filters like water. The tank was old and crusty too. I would run it for a month and put a new filter in. The old one was crazy heavy due to all the crap it would catch. Now, near 20 yrs later I have no issues and the filter stays clean.

Buy a handful of those plastic filters and change them regularly til they stay clean.

Is this where I'm suppose to say "Picture of **** or it didn't happen"?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:05 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
I know what you meant, but this is what i can do without the fear of getting booted outta here.

I'm looking forward to the next swap meet, so I can buy the filters you speak of for $1 each.
Red is at home with rocks and gas in the tank trying to break loose what ever he can. by way of manual agitation Power wash when he thinks he's done, air dry with the air nozzle. Sending unit and the 2 rubber pieces ordered as well as sound mat to install behind tank prior to tank install.
Gives us time to make her clean and purdy.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Have him get on a neighbor's trampoline with the tank with rocks in it. It will make it much easier to rattle them around.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:36 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Hey Teach, way good to see you are bringing up the young'n proper. LOL at the cleavage remark... When helping a friend, with a similar problem, I put his tank, with the gravel inside, in the back of my dune buggy, and drove 20Km down a bumpy, corrugated road. Stopped for a barley pop, and when we got back, the tank was pretty shiny inside... so, take Red for a ride... btw, like his truck's name... I'm thinking that mine might be "James Bondo" by the time I get it back from the paint & body shop...

Baja

Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
No problem Teach. You're Welcome. Don't forget to blow out that fuel supply line for the pump. Tank to pump. The pump was prolly trying but that line might have been plugged.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:37 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
10-4. Is it true that 73-76 fuel pump has a 3/8" out put line?
thinking about rerunning all lines to 3/8" vs. 5/16

first rodeo with the tank.
I asked him how it was going? he said, I'm doing homework now...
Been trying to get him to do homework for a week and NOW he wants to do homework?

Old 08-13-2015, 02:47 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Prolly more rewarding than shaking gravel in an old fuel tank... try the bumpy road trick, if you have any...

Baja

Old 08-13-2015, 02:56 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
I could be wrong but I think it is 3/8" pipe thread. Not 3/8" I.D. tube. On "standard" car and truck I've never seen a 3/8" fuel line. You can do 3/8" if you wish but I am assuming your engine won't be spinning fast enough to require that much fuel flow.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:59 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Prolly more rewarding than shaking gravel in an old fuel tank... try the bumpy road trick, if you have any...

Baja
I'd get a job and buy a new tank if that came out of mine! That's a LOT of rust. I'd be worried the metal was a might thin in some areas after pulling all that out.

But I still think a trampoline would work good too.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
He needs to get a job and buy a new tank. I had more luck finding a friend with a trampoline.
theres a skidstear on site, but the operator no quera punna arriva guey. LOL

Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
I could be wrong but I think it is 3/8" pipe thread. Not 3/8" I.D. tube. On "standard" car and truck I've never seen a 3/8" fuel line. You can do 3/8" if you wish but I am assuming your engine won't be spinning fast enough to require that much fuel flow.
No sir, it won't. Years ago i helped a buddy plumb his truck with the larger diameter tubing to cut down on the vapor locking. Electric fuel pump plumbed off the fire wall instead of off the front of the engine.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
BTW, Good job on the carb. I hope the inside is still as squeaky clean as the outside. Is one of your many Fords a 4X4? If so, strap that rock filled tank in the bed of it. You and your Son go 4X4ing. Put your seat belts on so you two don't bounce off the roof and find a bumpy trail. More Father and Son bonding and ya get the job done at the same time. Ya got to love multi-tasking.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:25 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
After confiring with my moral compass (Wife) I decided to buy the new tank. with the rust flakes that came out of it, the tank its self being compromised is a concern. His mom likes to smoke when she drinks. Not really, but I do

Quick Reply: TITS tank